zandekock

Being thrifty in Halifax

Recommended Posts

zandekock

Hey everyone,

I would like to start a thread of thrifty tips and would appreciate your contributions.

After moving to Halifax we initially shopped at the big stores and in hindsight we spent a LOT of money. So I thought I would pen some tips for saving money.

Meat and fresh produce: Gateway Meats in Dartmouth (see website for specials) I have found whole chickens for$2 where normally $8 at sobeys

Groceries: Nofrills (see website for branches) no name brands way cheaper and Gift Store in Dartmouth similar to Dollarama but cheaper

Furniture and household: thrift shops in particular Value Village, second hand and serviceable 

phone contract: you can get a voice and data package from$8pm over 24months if you use own phone at Atlantic Superstore. Bell currently having a $25pm offer with new phone

Car: O Regans offer good specials but depending on your mechanical skill you can buy something at many dealers from $1000. Gas is$1,09pl 

driving license road test :1 lesson and booking car for test $80 (remember to get your license within 90 days of landing else you have to do it from scratch)

curb days first weekend in June and October, people put out unwanted items on the curb. Everything from furniture to household items

free activities: Emera Oval have free loan of bikes and scooters etc on Saturdays

tool library in Halifax: pay a deposit and loan a tool

I hope this helps someone. In hindsight we spent thousands on groceries and furniture unnecessarily. Please do add any tips you may have. Thank you!

^_^

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelline

Checkout51. I use the app and it only gives me back about $30 every 2-4 weeks or so but it all adds up to saving. You have to be VERY disciplined and only buy what you would have bought anyway, but it does add up. It's not limited to certain stores either, except some offers are only aimed at Walmart.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
louisrdev

I've got two tips to add:

  • When you shop at Atlantic Supermarket or Sobeys, try to buy as many things as possible at once. They give gas coupons, the more you spend, the mor discount you get on gas.
  • Amazon has a subscribe and save feature, you can subscribe for items you buy on a regular basis and set up a schedule of how many you want and how often. If you have five or more items arriving any given month, you get 15% off all of them.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelline
23 hours ago, louisrdev said:

I've got two tips to add:

  • When you shop at Atlantic Supermarket or Sobeys, try to buy as many things as possible at once. They give gas coupons, the more you spend, the mor discount you get on gas.
  • Amazon has a subscribe and save feature, you can subscribe for items you buy on a regular basis and set up a schedule of how many you want and how often. If you have five or more items arriving any given month, you get 15% off all of them.

Also at Sobey's you earn Airmiles and they add up. However I target what I buy there, because they have "loss-leaders" which are ridiculously cheap, hoping you'll buy other things while you're there. Just be disciplined.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shado
On 6/16/2017 at 8:25 PM, Nelline said:

Checkout51. I use the app and it only gives me back about $30 every 2-4 weeks or so but it all adds up to saving. You have to be VERY disciplined and only buy what you would have bought anyway, but it does add up. It's not limited to certain stores either, except some offers are only aimed at Walmart.

 

Thank you. I will give a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zandekock

Hi all, I recently came across "Freecycling" and apparently its across Canada. People are invited to sign up on the website and are notified of "Freecycling Events" where you can pick up second hand goods for free. So you can join as someone who is donating goods and/or interested in goods. I recently went to an event in Halifax and it was generously donated to, I get the feeling that recycling is very big in Halifax and there is a great concern about throwing usable items away and filling up landfills unnecessarily.

Also, as an extra thrifty tip, I have found "Outlet Stores" that I understand to be the factory or overage stores of name brands: Aldo, Banana Republic and Gap and others, are all in Dartmouth Crossing around Hector Gate Street.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FaithFUL
11 minutes ago, zandekock said:

Hi all, I recently came across "Freecycling" and apparently its across Canada. People are invited to sign up on the website and are notified of "Freecycling Events" where you can pick up second hand goods for free. So you can join as someone who is donating goods and/or interested in goods. I recently went to an event in Halifax and it was generously donated to, I get the feeling that recycling is very big in Halifax and there is a great concern about throwing usable items away and filling up landfills unnecessarily.

Also, as an extra thrifty tip, I have found "Outlet Stores" that I understand to be the factory or overage stores of name brands: Aldo, Banana Republic and Gap and others, are all in Dartmouth Crossing around Hector Gate Street.

 

You'll have to show me where are all these awesome places are when we get there!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zandekock

@FaithFUL looking forward to your arrival :) Best wishes with your move

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SunshineGirl
4 hours ago, zandekock said:

I recently came across "Freecycling" and apparently its across Canada.

Hi @zandekock!  Pleased that you've discovered FreeCycling.  Just for interest sake - FreeCycling is also available in SA (I currently belong to one).  It might be run slightly differently from the event that you described though...  Basically, how it works in our neighbourhood FreeCycle group is that you belong to their FB page.  A member posts a photo & description of an item (sometimes even a service) that they would like to give away at no charge / barter / swap / etc.  The giver might state a condition eg. someone in need / only if able to collect on X date at Y time, etc.  The giver chooses who the item will go to, thereby awarding the item.  The receiver is expected to collect the item at the agreed day, time & address. When a member is awarded an item, the receiver is expected to become a giver & give an unwanted item / serivce, etc - thereby spreading the love.   Our group only allows members to request items on Fridays & boy, are Fridays BUSY!  Have found the group super useful in getting rid of clutter & it's a wonderful feeling to know that the item will still be put to good use - sometimes even a creative one :-).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zandekock

@SunshineGirl that is such great news, thank you for sharing. I would have loved to know about this group when we moved, I ended up throwing such a lot away just to get rid of things on the last minute. I know a family who moved to UK a few months before us had to have a rubbish removal van take away the last of their household things including electrical wares like kettles and toaster etc. just in a hurry to clear the house out and immigrate! These groups are really needed, globally :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now