Piper

VIA Rail Canada

Piper

Hi folks

Has anyone done the cross-country trip or any other tourist trips with VIA Rail Canada?

Here is the link and the information: http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/rockies-and-pacific/toronto-vancouver-canadian

I am considering booking this for my husband's birthday later this year. It seems like a relatively economical way to travel!

• Like 3

Annasofe13

Looks amazing, great idea for a birthday gift

MaryJane

Excellent choice, Piper.

We did a trip from Toronto to Montreal on the VIA rail in 2012. It's not as much kms as the one you're looking at on your link but the ride was good.

It was a great comfortable way to travel and enjoy the scenery.

• Like 3

Kalahari Klong

Hello Piper,

Via Rail is a great train service. I have used Via rail from Toronto to Halifax and it was a good experience. Food was fantastic. I have not done the Vancouver to Toronto trip myself, but have booked clients and they liked it although it cannot compare with Rocky Mountaineer (Vancouver to Calgary or the loop via Jasper). It is like comparing the Blue Train in South Africa with Rovos Rail - both are great but Rovos is way more luxurious. If you do decide to book the train trip, then I recommend that you book Sleeper Plus or Prestige Class on Via Rail. I am attaching a comparison sheet for your information. If you want to use a certified & registered travel agent (you do not pay extra to use a travel agent), you are welcome to contact me via our web site www.beukestravel.com

Kalahari Klong

VIA Rail - Amenities comparison sheet - 2017.pdf

• Like 2

Tracey22

we travel to and from Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City using Via rail.  The train service is great, and have never had any complaints.  You get excellent Tuesday specials, and often we get tickets for Ottawa and Quebec city for under $50

• Like 1

Nettie
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kalahari Klong said:

..............although it cannot compare with Rocky Mountaineer (Vancouver to Calgary or the loop via Jasper). It is like comparing the Blue Train in South Africa with Rovos Rail - both are great but Rovos is way more luxurious. ..........

Even though I haven't done this trip myself, it has been recommended on various occasions.  It may be worth it to include this when you're already taking the time off for the trip.

I have only travelled between Ottawa and Toronto with Via Rail Canada and it was a good experience.

Edited by Nettie
  • Like 1

Merida
14 hours ago, Piper said:

It seems like a relatively economical way to travel!

It is economical if you travel economy class, which is only a seat, which probably won't be very comfortable for several days.

As Kalahari Klong said, a sleeper class such as Sleeper Plus Class or Prestige class will be much more comfortable.  However, it becomes less 'affordable': http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/lecanadien/price_list_en_2017.pdf?ga_pdf=compare-prices

Tracey22

Greyhound busses are way cheaper than ViaRail

JanSalJanNat

@Kalahari Klong We are hoping to land next year in Canada.  I will definitely contact you, we would love to do a train trip.