Sign in to follow this  
JonnyBlaze

Which ECA Body - Medical - Laboratory Technician

JonnyBlaze

Dear All

Could someone in the medical field or with knowledge of the medical field in Alberta province please advise us. My wife has a Bachelor of Science in Biomedicine with post qualification of clinical pathology in medical laboratory. She is currently registered with HPCSA (equivalent to CSMLS in Canada)

After much research, it seems that Laboratory Services in Canada use IQAS as the preferred ECA body rather than WES. Is WES not valid for the medical industry?
I ask as I do not wish to have to pay for my ECA twice.Does anyone know if IQAS is acceptable for the CRS calculation for entrance into the EE pool?

Have any immigrants had luck being employed as a medical laboratory technician? If so, did you have to start lower down the ladder as a lab assistant and work yourself up again, or did they recognize the Saffa experience right off the bat? How would you compare the medical industry in Canada vs SA?

Should one apply to write the Canadian board exam with CSMLS before applying for employment?

I have read that labs don't run 24/7 like here in SA. Is this true and if so what are the typical hours?

Thank you in advance to all those whom respond!!!

FaithFUL

I would imagine that there would be two steps here: first she would have to have her degree/s assessed in order to get her EE profile up & running.

IQAS is on the list below so she can use them. I found this on the WES website, so yes, they will assess medical degrees: http://www.wes.org/ca/csmls.asp.

CIC approved ECA bodies are (listed below): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp

You can get your assessment from:

I guess you would have to compare price and turnaround time when deciding which body to use.

Secondly: (I'm guessing here but stand to be corrected), she would have to write exams to get her Canadian credentials to be able to work in Canada in the medical field.

She would need to be prepared to start at the bottom if it comes to that. Some people get lucky and carry on where they left off in SA, other people have to start at a lower level. Either way, a job is a job & it's a foot in your field.

• Like 1

Rumark

Hi there... I'm a doctor. Medical qualifications are not recognised by WES. If your wife is under the Medical Council of Canada's (MCC) jurisdiction at all, then you need to get an ECA through them. It's a time consuming process but you need to get a profile started at physicanapply.ca and have your identification and degrees verified before they will provide you with an ECA. It takes several months so it's best to start sooner than later. If you are unsure whether she is part of the MCC's jurisdiction then contact them - they have an online chat that is open during their office hours. I hope this helps!

Nettie
13 hours ago, JonnyBlaze said:

My wife has a Bachelor of Science in Biomedicine with post qualification of clinical pathology in medical laboratory. She is currently registered with HPCSA (equivalent to CSMLS in Canada)

What exactly does she do? If she knows what kind of job she is looking for, she needs to look at the license/registration needed for that and work her way from there.

I have read that labs don't run 24/7 like here in SA. Is this true and if so what are the typical hours?

Here in Ottawa and surrounding areas, it varies. The labs at the big hospitals run 24hrs. The smaller community hospital labs run mainly during office hours, sometimes till 20h00. Emergency tests at the small hospitals are done on the iStat.  Outpatient labs and labs at clinics run typically until 1600 but sometimes, they run until 20h00. Some of our tests are sent to Kingston and Toronto. That brings me back to my question above: What is her specialty?

Edited by Nettie

Nettie

Have any immigrants had luck being employed as a medical laboratory technician? If so, did you have to start lower down the ladder as a lab assistant and work yourself up again, or did they recognize the Saffa experience right off the bat? How would you compare the medical industry in Canada vs SA?

The industry is in a lot of ways similar but there are also differences. She will need to have a humble attitude of willingness to learn, while not coming across as clueless. Confident, but not too confident. That is sometimes a hard act to balance. Unless the manager knows another South African who did exceptionally well, they may not trust her "African" experience in the beginning. From my own experience, South Africa is often still seen as  a region rather than a country. The only thing, some people who work in hospitals, know about "Africa" is what their colleagues have told them from their mission trip experience (again, this was my own recent experience). That does not do our reputation good, because those trips are often to under-served countries where resources are almost non-existent. It's not easy being a trail blazer, but it can be done.

Edited by Nettie

JonnyBlaze

Hi everyone!

Thanks to all who commented. Much appreciated! My apologies for the delayed response.

@FaithFUL - Thanks for the links. We are awaiting confirmation from the CSMLS that a course by course ICAP accreditation from WES is accepted in order for her to write her Canadian "Board Exam". The direct PLA from CSMLS is roughly 4-5 x more expensive than the service WES offers so I'm holding thumbs we can use WES for both application needs.  I will advise in due course what the outcome is. PS Thanks for the warning - We are humble to the fact that we may have to enter the employment market on a weaker footing in the beginning. We remain optimistic and always try remember that the best fruit on the tree takes the longest climb to get too :)

@Rumark - Thanks for the info Doc. To the best of our research knowledge the correct regulatory body for Lab Tech's is CSMLS and not MCC. Let's hope they don't take as long as you mentioned MCC does!

@Nettie - She is an Laboratory Technician who specializes in Clinical Pathology. May I ask what your SA & Canada professional positions were and are?

On 2017/06/09 at 10:00 PM, Nettie said:

The industry is in a lot of ways similar but there are also differences. She will need to have a humble attitude of willingness to learn, while not coming across as clueless. Confident, but not too confident. That is sometimes a hard act to balance. Unless the manager knows another South African who did exceptionally well, they may not trust her "African" experience in the beginning. From my own experience, South Africa is often still seen as  a region rather than a country. The only thing, some people who work in hospitals, know about "Africa" is what their colleagues have told them from their mission trip experience (again, this was my own recent experience). That does not do our reputation good, because those trips are often to under-served countries where resources are almost non-existent. It's not easy being a trail blazer, but it can be done.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and warning. We are looking forward to being able to see how many gullible Canadians we can convince that we owned lions as pets when we get there. It's amazing how many people from the America's still view Africa as the wild continent. Sandton wild? Me thinks not.

Cheers