Sign in to follow this  
Zealan

Cellphone data support

Zealan

Most of the phones provided by the network operators in SA are the European model. Unfortunately, this means that the support of data bands differs from the North American models available in the US and Canada. This is particularly the case for the higher frequencies used by 4G/LTE.

If you have a high-end phone bought in SA, you may not be pleased that certain networks aren't supported on the higher bands. If you don't care about 4G/LTE, then you have little cause for concern. However, if you are of the opinion that you spent R12k+ on your phone and you would like full use of its features, the following website can break down which networks support the data bands available on your cellphone.

http://willmyphonework.net/

If you need to buy a phone before leaving SA, then you may want to bring in a North American model of your preferred phone. 

Nettie

I had a Samsung S4 mini which I bought in 2012 and just changed the sim card in 2014, no issues. I would say if you're due for a phone, wait, because you could probably get what you want here, for cheaper than SA and your warranty would also be a Canadian/US one.

In general mobile and internet service here are better.

• Like 1

Zealan
1 hour ago, Nettie said:

I had a Samsung S4 mini which I bought in 2012 and just changed the sim card in 2014, no issues. I would say if you're due for a phone, wait, because you could probably get what you want here, for cheaper than SA and your warranty would also be a Canadian/US one.

The sim card is just for your network, the available bands supported by the network(and device) is what I am referring to. 

The 4G bands in North America differ from the bands in Europe. The model of S4 Mini sold in SA is the I9190, take note of the 4G LTE column:

s4_mini_Canada.png

PS. You must have got the phone ~July 2013. It had not been released before then.

@DuncanP Do you get 4G on your iPhone in Winnipeg?

Edited by Zealan

Piper
2 hours ago, Zealan said:

Do you get 4G on your iPhone in Winnipeg?

I'd be surprised as it's a tad cold up in "The Peg". ;)

• Like 2

DuncanP

We live on farm far out so no

DuncanP

Are you coming to Winnipeg