Sign in to follow this  
Piper

Would you move to the US, 'eh'?

Piper

Would you accept a job offer in Canada knowing that you will in all likelihood (read 'definitely') be transferred to the company's USA branch? 

I'll be geographically closer to very close family of mine, however I (and very specifically my DH) have a few reservations about starting a family in the US. 

Needless to say Canada and the USA can't be compared and both have their pro's and con's.

• Like 2

Zealan

I wouldnt want to go to the US. But if it means getting your foot in the door, then I would take the job and find something else when I am asked to transfer. I guess if it was likely that I would be transferred within 1 year, I probably wouldnt do it. I would rather stick around for at least a year before moving on, to give me some time to settle.

• Like 1

Nettie
5 hours ago, Piper said:

Would you accept a job offer in Canada knowing that you will in all likelihood (read 'definitely') be transferred to the company's USA branch? 

I'll be geographically closer to very close family of mine, however I (and very specifically my DH) have a few reservations about starting a family in the US. 

Needless to say Canada and the USA can't be compared and both have their pro's and con's.

I have lived in Florida for 9 years and I will move back tomorrow. The US and Canada is very similar. More similar than you will ever know. If you like the PC and Liberal culture of Canada, you will find a State or city in the US that can provide you that for your children. If you're more conservative, you will find that too. It is a very big country, like Canada, with lots of options. People are people regardless of where you live. 

Edited by Nettie
  • Like 3

Piper
1 hour ago, Nettie said:

I have lived in Florida for 9 years and I will move back tomorrow. The US and Canada is very similar. More similar than you will ever know. If you like the PC and Liberal culture of Canada, you will find a State or city in the US that can provide you that for your children. If you're more conservative, you will find that too. It is a very big country, like Canada, with lots of options. People are people regardless of where you live. 

Thanks as always @Nettie. The additional relocation is something to consider in conjunction with other factors like doing what is best for my family (in the US) and most importantly my current and future family unit. Unfortunately if I transfer with the company I do not have the luxury of choosing the city. Once again; a hard call to make as I've recently declined another offer. Job hunting is tough!

• Like 2

Nelline

Except that there are States I would never relocate to (and others I'd move to in a heartbeat), the only other factor I would bear I mind would be the cost of medical care.

• Like 2

Nettie

Medical insurance is usually part of the job offer package and should be part of the Canadian benefits package offered by a company as well, since a lot is not covered by the Provincial healthcare program. I was super happy with the insurance we had through United Healthcare in the States and I paid less for healthcare there than here, if you consider what is not included in OHIP and the loads of taxes I pay. We were financially better of in Florida than here, with the same base salary.

• Like 1

Lizelle

If you know where you will be located to, I would research that and see if you can live with that place.  I agree with Nelline, there are some states I would love to live and some states that I would not (though the weather is at least as important to me as the culture :) ).

It's like any other thing, though.  In your little corner of the city that you live in, you can surround yourself with like-minded people.  I only know what type of MP we have because there was a recent by-election.  I think our Mayor is Conservative, but I cannot tell you for sure without googling it.  Those types of policies does not really impact on the day to day people that you meet.  

I have recently read an article about medical care in the US, and it really is not as expensive as you think, relatively speaking.  I think our calculation ended up with a $2000 policy for my family of four.  But, take away your $2000 (at least) that you pay in car insurance, and that's all balanced out :)  Plus, as Nettie pointed out, you should be offered medical aid through your employer. 

Also, how long is eventually?  If you have time you can go look at the city that they want to relocate you to and then see if you like it.  Travel in US is pretty cheap.

• Like 1

Nettie

There's not really a state that I can think of that I would not move to, although I haven't visited all of them. I think each city has it's better parts where you may want to live (except, perhaps Detroit). But then again, Michigan is a big state. From a financial perspective, some states don't have state taxes on top of federal taxes, which makes it a better choice for some. I would lean a lot to the place where I have family. This becomes helpful for most once you start your own family.

You are doing the right thing in doing your research. I know it's a lot since you're researching Canada and this prospective US employment based move. I would perhaps be inclined to take the job, just to have a job in Canada and make sure that I don't sign a contract that would require me to definitely move. Once you're here your perspective will change about a lot of things and will help you in your decisions. You can start your job and look out for something else if you don't want to stay with the company who said that you would need to relocate eventually. A firm job offer is hard to decline. :)

Good luck with everything. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Piper

Thanks for all of the advice.

The time-frame of the (additional) relocation is unfortunately within 6 months to a year. The (other) branch is located in San Francisco, California. If I take this offer, I will be visiting the SF branch often as most of my projects will be located in California.

• Like 1

Nettie
45 minutes ago, Piper said:

Thanks for all of the advice.

The time-frame of the (additional) relocation is unfortunately within 6 months to a year. The (other) branch is located in San Francisco, California. If I take this offer, I will be visiting the SF branch often as most of my projects will be located in California.

A close family member lived in California for a while, about an hour east of San Fransisco. They really liked living in California and likened the topography and temperature to South Africa. (You gain the Napa Valley which is one of the most beautiful places in the US)

With a move there, you need to take into account the property prices/apartments for rent when you consider the salary, much like for a move to Vancouver. 

Edited by Nettie
  • Like 2

AnniePotts

@Piper I surmise your question may not be intended for those of us still in SA, still waiting for PR, still chewing our nails, still obsessively checking out profiles daily for an update - any update, still ... . But to answer your question I would rather move to the U.S. than stay in S.A. no contest. 

But I guess it's all relative. Good luck with whatever you decide. I can only hope to be faced with a similar quandary one day. 

• Like 1

Nelline
1 hour ago, AnniePotts said:

@Piper I surmise your question may not be intended for those of us still in SA, still waiting for PR, still chewing our nails, still obsessively checking out profiles daily for an update - any update, still ... . But to answer your question I would rather move to the U.S. than stay in S.A. no contest. 

But I guess it's all relative. Good luck with whatever you decide. I can only hope to be faced with a similar quandary one day. 

Yup - exactly what you said. Some of us are in that fortunate position of being able to choose. One day, you will be too, never fear!

• Like 2

Piper
7 hours ago, AnniePotts said:

Rest assured that all of this is not as romantic as it may seem, not in the very least. We all live some form of Option B or even Option C. To be very honest; I want to be in New Zealand hands down. No contest.

Good luck with your application.

AnniePotts

Wow! New Zealand. Have you applied there? What was the outcome? I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble getting in. Or is NZ not an option anymore?

I'm not romanticizing or making light of your dilemma, as I said all things are relative and my frame of reference is different to yours. But it sometimes helps to take a step back and get a different perspective, look at things from a different angle, see the forest for the trees, (insert preferred cliche here).

We do sometimes tend to look for problems where they aren't any instead of counting our blessings - such as being in the fortunate position of being able to turn down jobs whereas others (including some of our very own forumites) have landed months ago and are still struggling to secure employment. 

So maybe the question/thread should be more specifically  targeted at landed immigrants who are quite settled, in secure employment, perhaps having already attained citizenship? The rest of us need not respond - frame of reference and all.

Would love to hear what you eventually decide I'm sure it will all work out for the best. I would also love to read all about your landing experiences I'm sure there's lots we could learn that will make our landings that much easier when it does happen. 

@Nelline thanks for you well wishes and putting that energy out there. The universe is always listening :).

Piper
4 hours ago, AnniePotts said:

Wow! New Zealand. Have you applied there? What was the outcome? I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble getting in. Or is NZ not an option anymore?

We did our due diligence on New Zealand and decided against starting the application process. Yes, New Zealand is still my personal Option A. Yes, I will be able to secure employment there but my DH will most definitely not be able to secure a good job there.  (At least not one that he will be happy with.) All of the good employment opportunities related to his career are unfortunately outsourced to Australia. This is very worrying in the light of us wanting to start a family as soon as possible. Being on one income indefinitely in a very expensive country will be too tough for us. It is therefor not currently an option. It will in all likelihood never realize for us.

4 hours ago, AnniePotts said:

I'm not romanticizing or making light of your dilemma, as I said all things are relative and my frame of reference is different to yours. But it sometimes helps to take a step back and get a different perspective, look at things from a different angle, see the forest for the trees, (insert preferred cliche here).

We do sometimes tend to look for problems where they aren't any instead of counting our blessings - such as being in the fortunate position of being able to turn down jobs whereas others (including some of our very own forumites) have landed months ago and are still struggling to secure employment. 

I fully agree with this. Unfortunately due to the nature of the internet communication you might only see a glimpse (if even that) of someone's entire life situation. All context and background is lost. You might assume that they are fortunate in all aspects of life, when that may very well not be the case at all.

I am grateful for the opportunities that have come my way and my questions asked on this forum are sincere. In fact, most of my questions currently are out of a state of panic.

5 hours ago, AnniePotts said:

Would love to hear what you eventually decide I'm sure it will all work out for the best.

Thank you! I have some time to think things through. The decision will entirely be based on what is best for my family unit.

5 hours ago, AnniePotts said:

I would also love to read all about your landing experiences I'm sure there's lots we could learn that will make our landings that much easier when it does happen.

I saw a pretty good landing story on here recently. I didn't feel that I could add much value as the poster wrote a commendably thorough piece.

If you have any specific questions, then I will be happy to answer them if I can. How far are you in the process? This might shed light on what can potentially be done (in my opinion of course) to best drive your process.

• Like 2

Jules

My general advice is to go where the jobs are and take next steps later when you are acclimatized. USA has some very good places and as long as the job pays ok you can afford the Healthcare and the accomodation (if it's an expensive real estate region like San Francisco).

I particularly like Southern California and most of Florida. 

• Like 3

Piper

After a lengthy process with this prospective employer: I accepted this job last week.

We are super excited! I'll try and write a landing story in about 3 weeks. ?

• Like 1

Jules
6 hours ago, Piper said:

After a lengthy process with this prospective employer: I accepted this job last week.

We are super excited! I'll try and write a landing story in about 3 weeks. ?

Congrats. When and where do you expect the land initially?

Piper
7 hours ago, Jules said:

Congrats. When and where do you expect the land initially?

Thanks! ?

We are flying on the 7th/8th and will be landing in Canada on the 9th July. We will be settling in Montréal initially as that's where my company's HQ is located.