Sign in to follow this  
JonnyBlaze

Short CRS Points

JonnyBlaze

Dear All,

My wife and I finally decided on a mutually agreeable country and city to move to. (After a lot of deliberation & then even more!) We are aiming for Calgary AB. We were hoping on applying for PR and then doing a LSD trip to both activate our 5 year PR Visa and to make sure the choice of city/country was the right one before closing up shop in JHB permanently.

Our first port of call was to visit an immigration consultant who ran us through the CRS questionnaire (Main applicant - Wife) and unfortunately we came up a little short, anywhere between the 400-416 mark dependent on our IELTS results.

Does anyone have any advice on what we could do to bring our points up quickly & easily?

So far, learning French and applying for the PNP seem to be the only two immediate options... On that note, can anyone point me in the direction of the province specific occupational list for PNP (Alberta specifically) & does anyone know to what level ones French fluency needs to reach to attain the extra 30 CRS points available?

Going to study further (Honours +32 points) is an option but doing so could result in a potential 5-10 points being subtracted for age so not a guarantee that it would bring the points up to necessary levels either.

Thanks to all for any input! Much appreciated!

Lizelle

The previous draw was 415 (maybe 416??) points, so at the moment you are actually pretty close.

Go through the EE points yourself, though, and double-check your points (my trust in immigration consultants is pretty low). That will also tell you where you can possibly add points.

As far as I remember you need to have a very competent level of French to get a good mark.

It is important to start with all your documents ASAP.  WES can take 2 months to get and IELTS only have exams at set times. You cannot enter the EE draw without that paperwork. 

The EE number is pretty low right now, but there's no telling how long it will stay there

• Like 2

Lizelle

MaryJane has posted stuff on the provincial nomination. I'm on my phone, so searching is tedious. If you search for "provincial nomination" you should see it

Piper
1 hour ago, Lizelle said:

Go through the EE points yourself, though, and double-check your points (my trust in immigration consultants is pretty low). That will also tell you where you can possibly add points.

As far as I remember you need to have a very competent level of French to get a good mark.

@JonnyBlaze, the above information as provided by @Lizelle is indeed correct. 

1.) My trust in immigration consultants is also "pretty low" and I support her suggestion of double checking your points.

2.) As for the French; you will need to be able to comfortably hold a conversation in order to get the additional points. The test is in exactly the same format as the English test. This means that you will need to be able pass the reading, writing, speaking and listening aspects of the test.

Good luck!

Zealan

Create your profile as it is now, worry about additional points later. You can always update your profile as and when things change.

You will be under pressure to score as high as possible in the IELTS test, which makes a technically easy test a little harder(since you are going for max points).

As Lizelle says, the last draw was 415. The next draw could be as low as 408(statistically speaking).

"You cant catch a fish without a line in the water"

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Zealan
  • Like 3

IreneBez

@JonnyBlaze,

You say that according to the consultant your CRS should be anywhere between the 400-416 mark dependent on your IELTS results.  I assume the 400-416 include an estimate for the IELTS results.  If it does, do you know what the estimate was that the consultant used?  I think what you need to do is book for the IELTS as soon as possible.  I'm not sure if your consultant took you through how different IELTS scores can affect your overall CRS?  For example, scoring an average of say 7.5 as opposed to an average of 8.5 or 9 could lower your CRS quite substantially.  Go write the IELTS asap to better understand where you are in terms of CRS for EE.

• Like 2

YolandaB

I agree what everyone here said... starting point is open an Express Entry Profile (you need IELTS and ECA first).  Go read up on "how CRS points are given".

For the immigration agent part...I cant say I have little hope as we are happy with ours and I couldn't see us doing this alone (but that depends obviously).

• Like 1

Marcola

If your English (listening, reading, speaking and writing) is as good as your writing here, then you can easily get a CLB 10. Both of you should do IELTS and have your credentials evaluated. Anything above 400 is good. The draws now are in the 415 sbove range but PNPs could also be an option. 

MaryJane

Welcome to the forums, @JonnyBlaze! You have been given some good advice with regards joining the EE pool. I agree with most comments that if you score around 400-415, that should be okay-ish. Draws are quite low at the moment so strike while the iron is hot. If you want to do your own calculation, why not try this calculator from CIC (to get a gauge on eligibility) and this calculator from Canadavisa (to get a gauge score and a second opinion)?

As for the PNP in Alberta....unfortunately, as best I know, Alberta will only look at applicants who have job offers in the province. They do not provide PNPs if you do not have a job offer. I also believe that there is currently a ban in Alberta to hire foreign workers in specific fields. As I do not know which field you are in, this might or might not affect you. But just letting you know.

All the best in your journey. If you'd like to visit the PNP page and consider other provinces, here is the link - 

• Like 1

IreneBez

@JonnyBlaze, play around with the CRS calculators that @MaryJane posted the links for.  Fill out all your information and when you get to the English test results part, first select "advanced" as the results for reading, writing, speaking and listening and calculate your score, then go back and go change all the results to "initial advanced", calculate again and see the difference it makes to the score, you can do the same with selecting "high intermediate" and see what happens then.  The max you can get for a spouse's results is 20, so I wouldn't worry about that too much for now, it's the main applicant results where you will see the difference in CRS points.  I know this may add to the pressure of having to get good scores on the IELTS, but at the end of the day those results may better your chances if there is no job offer or PNP to increase your CRS.  Good luck and book that test!

JonnyBlaze

To all whom responsed,

Thank you for your kind advice, it is much appreciated. My wife and I are busy preparing ourselves for the IELTS as we speak and hope to sit for the test as soon as possible. For all those who might still be preparing, we found a great website that explains the test in detail - www.goodluckielts.com. 

@ MaryJane - Where could I find a list of the banned hiring fields? Wife is in Medical field - Laboratory Technician - I am in Engineering (Mechanical) - Mechanical Designer

MaryJane
54 minutes ago, JonnyBlaze said:

@ MaryJane - Where could I find a list of the banned hiring fields? Wife is in Medical field - Laboratory Technician - I am in Engineering (Mechanical) - Mechanical Designer

http://www.canadavisa.com/news/alberta-prohibits-temporary-foreign-worker-program-29-skilled-occupations.html

• Like 1

JonnyBlaze

Thank you MaryJane.