Sign in to follow this  
Marcola

Letter on intent OINP

Marcola

Hi All

Anyone have any tips for a letter of intent for Ontario. I have no ties so can't write on that...

Tx

M

DuncanP

Thought they had to invite you?

Nelline
22 minutes ago, DuncanP said:

Thought they had to invite you?

They did

• Like 1

Ribsy
4 hours ago, Marcola said:

Hi All

Anyone have any tips for a letter of intent for Ontario. I have no ties so can't write on that...

Tx

M

Hi @Marcola,

Try considering the following with regards to a letter of intent:

• Any possible ties with friends or family with whom you've been engaging
  • Possibility of employment opportunities with the province of Ontario relative to other provinces for your line of work
  • Proof of applying for any jobs in the province of Ontario to date or having engaged with any recruiters / employers
  • The weather in Ontario is considered relatively better or minor compared to other provinces

These are just some of my thoughts and you can adjust accordingly.

• Like 2

MaryJane

Here are many, many reasons as listed on the OOPNP thread by some of the forumites. I've lifted the comments out for you.

On 2015-06-11 at 4:02 AM, Guest said:

And read this for your potential reasons...http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/429340/Ontario/272147/Settlement-patterns and here http://www.ontario.ca/government/about-ontario

Top 10 reasons to settle in Ontario / Toronto

1. It's prosperous, clean and safe

2. City services (subway, buses, garbage disposal, etc) work well and are as good as you'll get anywhere.

3. It's the third largest theatre centre in North America, with all the latest Broadway and London shows

4. It has a great waterfront and islands for summer water sports

5. It has great night life, clubs, pubs, restaurants, and the rest

6. It has professional sports teams in all the major leagues - Blue Jays (baseball), Raptors (basketball), Argonauts (Canadian football), Maple Leafs (ice hockey), Toronto FC (soccer)

7. It is close to ski resorts, Blue Mountain, Talisman, etc

8. It's a major financial centre (Bay Street) and commercial centre so there ae plenty of interesting well-paying jobs

9. It has a international airport with regular flights to Europe, the US, the Caribbean, and others

10. It is a cosmopolitan city with little,if any, problems between the different ethnic groups. Everyone seems happy to be there

On 2015-06-11 at 4:10 AM, Guest said:

And more reasons...

1) Its in Canada
2) Crime is extremely low
3) Multicultural
4)Food- I can eat around the world in one day
5) Great business opportunities- the city of Toronto has done alright through the recession compared to our American competition, expect much investment from other countries in the future.
6) proximity to the states- close to Chicago and NYC
7) Compared to most of the country a decent transit system
8) Arts and Culture( more so than anywhere else in Canada)
9) Sports Teams, we have a lot of professional sports teams here
10) Shopping- if you can't find it here you can't find it.
11) Big modern city- Toronto is the only city in Canada IMHO that has a vibrant streetlife like many other cities around the world, there is always something going on here.
12) Friendly people- so I may get a thumb down for this from most Canadians because there is a complete misconception that Torontonians are rude, they are most certainly not and I can say this from experience as I have lived across this country. Torontonians tend to be very friendly just like most Canadians.
13) Live and Let Live- Nobody bugs me here, I can be myself and not be judged so much as other places because people here are used to diversity

http://2nomads1narrative.com/2012/10/24/guest-post-six-reasons-to-live-in-ontario/

• Like 1

Marcola

This is great, thank you @Ribsy and @MaryJane.  

I have one last guestion: They ask to provide information on the past 10 years of employment. All this history is related to my NOC. Except for a 6 month sabbatical I took in 2010 to go on a work/travel holiday in the USA. I was still employed by my employer in South Africa, who let me take this extended leave as I had just lost someone close to me and needed time away.

Questions:

1) Should I mention this under work history? Option 1 is to say Company xyz from 2009-2013 (no mention of extended leave until ITA). Option 2 is include it under my work history. Would this not dilute my experience?
2) The visa was in my old passport which was stolen (thanks SA!). My current visa is only in use for the last 1 year 7 months and they need passport details of old passport too (passport must have been issued 2 years ago or older passport must be scanned and sent too.)

Phew, will be grey by the time I land in Canada.

Thanks

M

FaithFUL
52 minutes ago, Marcola said:

Except for a 6 month sabbatical I took in 2010 to go on a work/travel holiday in the USA. I was still employed by my employer in South Africa, who let me take this extended leave as I had just lost someone close to me and needed time away.

Marcola, were you in the USA for more or less than six months? If a bit more then you'll need to get a police clearance from USA too, See Nelline's response on page two in another thread with the link below. You're actual question's I'll leave for the boffins to answer.

Edited by FaithFUL

Marcola

Thanks @FaithFUL, this is for the OINP application? I know after ITA we will need to get PCC... 

MaryJane

I think what @FaithFULwas getting at was that if you do mention the fact that you were on a 6-month sabbatical visit to the US, then you would need the PCC for EE, which I believe involves a little bit of time to get from the FBI. If not, then no.

For Q1, I think you can easily get away with not saying anything because technically you were still employed by your company at the time. I'm assuming your work employment letter states that. I think this is more of a personal choice. How close to the 6 month mark were you? Would you feel like you were hiding something if you didn't say anything?

Personally I would disclose it since 6 months for me is a long time, especially if there is anything that can be traced back to that trip. You are definitely free to disagree.

I don't think there's a dilution of experience. They ask for 10 years worth of history but all they're making sure of is that you have at least one year continuous work experience in your NOC. As long as you have that.

For Q2, write a letter of explanation to explain that you had been a victim of crime and because of that you are unable to give them more details about the old passport.

Hope this helps.