Sign in to follow this  
Chris_K

Recruiter to assist LMIA

Chris_K

Hi All.  Just got our application in about a month ago.  It seems I am considered too old... And here I thought 44 was still spring chicken. LOL...   So my points are 375, so it looks like I need a job offer to make the grade.  I am a senior IT professional with over 18 years experience.

I would really appreciate some help in finding a recruiter that might have clients that are prepared to do the LMIA and hopefully make an offer.

Lizelle
1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

Hi All.  Just got our application in about a month ago.  It seems I am considered too old... And here I thought 44 was still spring chicken. LOL...   So my points are 375, so it looks like I need a job offer to make the grade.  I am a senior IT professional with over 18 years experience.

I would really appreciate some help in finding a recruiter that might have clients that are prepared to do the LMIA and hopefully make an offer.

You may need to move this to a new topic under "General". It is likely to get lost in other stuff if you don't.

Have you looked at how much work there is in your field/ability? If jobs are "skaars soos hoender tande", no one is going to bother waiting 6 months for you to get a WP.  If your specific field in IT is seriously specialized, and there's no one to fill the job here, then obviously someone will be willing to wait.

Have you looked at the provincial nominations? Some of them have specific jobs that they are looking for.

If you are not married to the idea of Canada, I will suggest looking at NZ. Getting a job offer in NZ is in a whole different universe than Canada (1-2 WEEKS vs 6 months)

Either way, good luck with your journey, it is the start of many an alcoholic beverage and much swearing and some serious green grass in the end :) 

Edited by Lizelle

MaryJane
55 minutes ago, Lizelle said:

Either way, good luck with your journey, it is the start of many an alcoholic beverage and much swearing and some serious green grass in the end :) 

Were you just calling me there, Lizelle? :lol:

I've moved the post.

• Like 1

Lizelle

Thanks MaryJane.

Are you referring to the drinking or swearing? ?

• Like 2

Merida
4 hours ago, Chris_K said:

Hi All.  I am a senior IT professional with over 18 years experience.

As Lizelle said, depending on your speciality there might be a shortage (or not) of your skills:

Unfortunately, for over a decade IT and other jobs have been off-shored/outsourced to developing countries: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cibc-outsourcing-jobs-india-1.4045759

Maybe look at NZ, for example, as Lizelle suggested.  I recently saw that they were trying to recruit IT professionals from overseas.

Chris_K

Thanks for the feedback.  This has been my experience so far.  I will then have to try the direct route.  I will take a look, but NZ's economy is so much smaller than Canada.  In my mind it is less desirable.  But I will take a look.  Thanks again for the feedback

Chris_K
11 hours ago, Lizelle said:

If you are not married to the idea of Canada, I will suggest looking at NZ. Getting a job offer in NZ is in a whole different universe than Canada (1-2 WEEKS vs 6 months)

My domain is not that specialized.  NZ is very a much smaller economy, so not as desirable.  But maybe we should have another look.  Thanks for the feedback

Lizelle
5 hours ago, Chris_K said:

NZ is very a much smaller economy, so not as desirable.  But maybe we should have another look.  Thanks for the feedback

It's funny.  I lived in NZ for 5 years and never thought of it as small.  It certainly did not feel small while living there.  

It's only after I moved to Canada that I realized that NZ is small :)  In terms of the economy, yes, compared to everyone else they are small, but they are also nimble.  The government actively tries to be efficient (moving processes online and then you pay less for the online application, for example), and salaries are pretty comparable for us to what we make here.  

It may also be a case of choosing against SA more than for a country.  How much do you want to move?  Are you willing to wait for 2 - 5 years (maybe) to get an offer in Canada?  Or for the system to change and maybe you get more points?  The chances of getting a job offer from SA are exceedingly small.  It's not impossible, but highly improbable.  

You can always move on from NZ after getting citizenship if you really don't like it there.  You can move directly to Oz from NZ if you have NZ citizenship without a work visa.  

When we moved to NZ we actually wanted to move to Canada, but we did not see that much work for my husband and I was studying, so we needed to go somewhere where we could get PR fast (international study fees are ridiculous).  We decided to move to NZ instead of Canada.  By the time that we moved to Canada 5 years later, there were people that applied to Canada at the time that we moved to NZ, and were only then getting to move to Canada.  

So, the question becomes: would you rather live in NZ for 5 years and then move to Canada or Oz (if you so wish), or live in SA for 5 years and then move to Canada?

• Like 1