Ribsy

Ribsy: Landing Story

Jules

On the topic of being loyal to an employer - like in the example of Ribsy taking the contract and potentially interviewing for another job. Don't show any loyalty! Canadian employers are notoriously disloyal to employees despite what they claim on the "about us" on their company website. They will kick you to the curb without batting an eye if they need to. Canadian people are generally kind and nice but Canadian employers / companies are tough and hard nosed. My advice is have no loyalty because it isn't reciprocated. 

Ribsy you should have took the contract and money while continuing to interview. What you did is what most SAns would do but you are not in SA anymore. 

(Btw in life I am a very ethical person and would want to do what Ribsy did but after living here 13 years I realize the employment world is different)

• Like 3

Nettie

I fully agree with you @Jules

Ribsy

Another short-and-sweet update from my side:

Final interviews took place this past Wednesday in Chicago for the opportunity based in Oakville.  The full day trip was exciting, daunting and exhausting all at the same time (flight at 0645 departure which meant a 03:30 start to avoid post Independence Day customs and arrival after 22:35 at night).  Unfortunately I didn't get an opportunity to explore Chicago much this time around.  The little time spent in downtown was reasonable but the drive between Downtown and the airport was not great.  Taxi's don't enjoy making use of AC, stuck in traffic both in and out and Toronto appears to be a much cleaner and well structured city.  However, in saying that, the company has submitted an offer which I've accepted and I commence work on Monday, 10th July 2017 (tomorrow)... the "holiday" has come to an abrupt ending.  I'm truly grateful and blessed with this opportunity and it would not have been possible without His help and guidance through the frustrating and anxious times. 

So next step is to continue and finalise house-hunting and hopefully be able to furnish before the family arrives at the end of the month with the container either a few days before or after their arrival.  We'll obviously be able to settle in West Toronto now which will suit both my family and I significantly better than settling in the East.  I've already been able to create a decent support structure on this side of Toronto. 

In the hustle and bustle of the past few days, I've allowed some time for reflection - The pieces are slowly falling into place.  The process to this point has taken a bit longer than initially expected or planned for but I once again stress how grateful and blessed we've been to have achieved what we have. 

It is not easy, but it can be achieved.  As they say in Swahili, "Polepole (pronounced poly poly)" which means slowly slowly.  It can and will be done... Once again, good luck to those following and wishing you much courage and strength. 

• Like 18

Annasofe13

@Ribsy thank you for sharing your new, it is great to hear when things work out :). I hope you will enjoy your new employment and good luck with the house hunting! It is good to know you are never alone and that He is always there.

• Like 4

Odijonk

@Ribsy well done super happy for you... tnx for the update love all the new info and updates...

Jules

Awesome! Very happy for you. 

Ribsy

It's been a month since my last update and what a month it has been...

1. I was able to rent a townhouse in Bronte Creek (North West Oakville) within a week after landing employment.  Finding the right place at the right time is all about timing in the current market and depends on supply at a particular point in time.  In hindsight, we probably agreed to more than budgeted for but the place was ready to move in with the family on the way.  I physically visited 13 different houses before being able to choose this one and luckily the offer was accepted at the asking price within 48 hours of being accepted.  The rental application here is quite different to what we may be used too... there is an agent which acts on behalf of the Landlord and your agent on your behalf.  A detailed and comprehensive application needs to be submitted for review and approval.  Recommendation:  Have written company and personal references available as part of your application to aid your cause in proving that you're a decent and honest human being. 
  2. Notification of our container arriving from SA was received shortly thereafter.  I was required to present myself at the Canadian Customs Office located at the Toronto Airport with the documents received on or in our case, subsequent to landing.  5-minute process with documents stamped by Customs Official with no issues.  Container cleared without further inspection. 
  3. Keys were collected on Friday, 21st July and our container was duly delivered on Saturday, 22nd July.  The team from AMJ International (BIR's correspondent in Canada) were quite professional.  Cardboard placed across the house as well as red carpet covering the areas with carpet.  The team took just under 2 hours to remove all the contents from the container into specific locations in the house.  The team took an additional 2 hours to remove some of the items from their packaging and removed the packaging from the premises on departure.  The delivery, etc was part of the price which we paid for back in SA i.e. all-inclusive.  Overall, the service in Canada was very professional and efficient.  They also commented about how the goods were quite well wrapped coming from SA.  Only issue is that some items appear to have been misplaced prior to packing in the container back in SA but I guess that's to be expected to a certain extent and a warm reminder of what we've left behind. 
  4. The following week was spent putting some items into their place and unpacking a few more things with the family arriving on the following weekend.  Beds purchased for the kids were delivered during the week too and required assembly thereof.  Luckily most of the furniture requiring assembly comes with the necessary tools. 
  5. Cable and Internet connectivity was also investigated and purchased with installation ending up taking place the week after the family arrived as opposed to before... bad timing on my behalf.  Be aware that not all service providers may be able to provide service to your residence as they don't operate in your area i.e. Rogers were not available for us and we were limited to Bell or Cogeco. 
  6. The family arrived and have been on site for just under two weeks now.  The bachelor lifestyle (with no benefits :D ) has certainly come to an abrupt end.  The kids are enjoying the freedom and the wife is trying to convert the house into a home.  We have walks to the park (approx. 800m from our house) daily after dinner.  What a difference seeing families of all backgrounds enjoying the outdoors at this time of the year by running or walking their dogs. 
  7. I've celebrated one month at the new job today... so far, so good.  The team reporting to me are knowledgeable, friendly and supportive.  The same can be said of the individuals I report to both locally and in the US.  Receiving my first pay check in 4 months at the end of July was a fantastic feeling. 

I continue to pray for those still in transition.  May your hopes and dreams be fulfilled shortly. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

FaithFUL
Posted (edited)

You must have felt like a million bucks when everything fell into place!! Love #6 - that's the life we want for our family!!

Edited by FaithFUL
  • Like 1

Annasofe13

@Ribsy thank you for sharing, it sound like you guys are starting to settle in, must be an amazing feeling. Enjoy every moment!

• Like 2

Lyle

Thanks for the posts @Ribsy, great to follow your story! A lot of determination and courage!

• Like 1

Marcola

Thank you for sharing. I too love number 6 <3

• Like 1

Annasofe13

@Ribsy how is it going in Canada? The family starting to settle in?

OutOfSa

Ribsy has vanished :wacko:

This is usually not a good settling sign... lets hope all is well, as he seemed to be making good progress, well until his disappearance that is.

If this were CanadaToSa, and we were in SA and asking wassup?  Then it would be likely that bad things had happend, but this is thankfully a fairly civilised place....

So either great emotional / family turmoil had hit - or he's just really busy trying to survive and wondering what all the "Canada is cold" fuss is about - it's fall and were hitting 30's in the (GTA) and that's Celsius not Fahrenheit.  

HOK-DANG, my igloo has melted and I have to sleep in the freezer, which is cramped with my wife and children, dog and cat....a raccoon and 3 squirrels.  

• Like 1

QueenOfHeartsZA

I am sure 8ts simply that his family has arrived and he is now enjoying having them there. I think he is just finding his feet at the moment. 

• Like 2

Jules
2 hours ago, OutOfSa said:

This is usually not a good settling sign... lets hope all is well, as he seemed to be making good progress, well until his disappearance that is.

If this were CanadaToSa, and we were in SA and asking wassup?  Then it would be likely that bad things had happend, but this is thankfully a fairly civilised place....

So either great emotional / family turmoil had hit - or he's just really busy trying to survive and wondering what all the "Canada is cold" fuss is about - it's fall and were hitting 30's in the (GTA) and that's Celsius not Fahrenheit.  

HOK-DANG, my igloo has melted and I have to sleep in the freezer, which is cramped with my wife and children, dog and cat....a raccoon and 3 squirrels.  

Remember that very few forum members continue to post on this forum for long after they land. Some will post updates for a few weeks or, at best, for a few months. Most discontinue the forum addiction and get on with living life in Canada. 

• Like 2

Ribsy
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:39 AM, Annasofe13 said:

@Ribsy how is it going in Canada? The family starting to settle in?

So today we celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada and we've had much to be thankful for.  In the past week I've celebrated 6 months in Canada, 3 months being employed and the family have been here just over 2 months.  We were able to celebrate with some friends made since landing and enjoyed a combination of potjie, ham, paella and milk tart.  In addition, we were able to explore a local park close to the Toronto zoo and enjoyed a walk through the woods.  It's a beautiful time of the year (fall) and one in which you're able to enjoy the beauty of changing leaves... not very common in SA as the seasons change quickly. 

The kids started school at the beginning of September which has helped getting settled and into some form of routine.  Both our kids have enjoyed school so far and enjoyed their teachers.  Both have been pushed forward half a year compared to SA as school here is age-based.  It's a concern for our little one who has not yet received the reading basics but something we're working on.  Our eldest has settled in quite well and made a few friends at school and in the neighbourhood which has helped tremendously. 

The wife has been able to source some interim employment and that has helped her network and settle in too. 

We have a roof over our heads, transport to get around, employment to fund the settling in process and friends to keep us sane... plenty to be thankful for.  And we have family coming to visit in November as our eldest has their first Holy Communion. Great times indeed. 

Anything we miss???  Yes, family and friends to a certain extent but we've fortunate to have made some really good friends already here in Canada with similar family structures, culture and likes.  Property is ridiculously expensive... concerns about dropping lifetime investments as a deposit in a property.  Missing our domestic to a certain extent too especially with the ironing, folding and house cleaning... priorities do change here though.  Purchasing of non-crease clothing is important.   

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:19 PM, OutOfSa said:

All good and haven't disappeared.  Have been helping the family settle in.  Work has gotten really hectic and budget seasons is a new and foreign concept for me so much learning taking place.  Been travelling to the US a bit too which has been great.  What an awesome feeling to be able to travel and not be concerned with the safety of your family. 

We've been really fortunate with the weather... apparently and so we've been told.  It's normally quite cold by this time of the year but our kids were in the heated swimming pool today so not that cold just yet. 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, QueenOfHeartsZA said:

I am sure 8ts simply that his family has arrived and he is now enjoying having them there. I think he is just finding his feet at the moment. 

And how...

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, Jules said:

Remember that very few forum members continue to post on this forum for long after they land. Some will post updates for a few weeks or, at best, for a few months. Most discontinue the forum addiction and get on with living life in Canada. 

I must apologise as I'm not as "addicted" as much as before.  The forum remains a fantastic source of information for those seeking guidance and assistance.  I have been contacted in a private capacity by a few colleagues and I've tried to aid them directly wherever possible.  I am still available and present if someone needs some help but I'm not as active as before.  Responses may therefore be slightly delayed. 

• Like 9