Ribsy

Ribsy: Landing Story

Ribsy

Good day all,

I've been requested to provide an update on my / our landing... I apologise for the long-winded note in advance but I thought it important to be detailed.  I also apologise for the delayed correspondence... it's been quite hectic!!!

For those of you unaware, we received our PR visas at the end of Feb 2017.  Our decision was for me to come across as soon as possible to try and obtain employment, find accommodation and furnish as much as possible before my wife and kids land around July 2017.  This decision was based on the following factors:

1. Recruitment slows down from June onwards as Canada enters the summer and holiday season similar to SA's Nov - Jan period.  Recruitment only picks up from September onwards again.
  2. The school year ends in June and starts up again in September only.  It's a long time for kids to be at home for this period and we feel it will be better for them to settle in if they get to commence their schooling at the beginning of the school year as opposed to half way during the school year. 
  3. I have greater flexibility regarding accommodation, transportation and general getting around without the rest of the family on board.  In addition, it's more expensive for all these elements in Canada when compared to SA. 
  4. We need to arrange for accommodation before deciding on what furniture items we may want to take across with us.  Container being packed end May. 

I flew out on SAA / Lufthansa via Munich on 6th April and landed in Toronto Pearson International Airport at approximately 15:00 on 7th April (just about 24 hours of travelling).  Effectively just over 2 weeks since landing...

I proceeded to standard Passport control where my SA passport along with the PR visa and completed Customs Declaration form, including disclosure of significant foreign currency.  The Customs Official circled a few items with a red crayon and welcomed me to Canada.  I was instructed to proceed to the Immigrations office which was just around the corner (approximately 50 metres away). There were 4 families ahead of me in the queue.  On request, I presented all my documents to the Official... SA passport and Letter of Confirmation of Permanent Residence (in duplicate).  He asked me where I would be staying?  He then asked me 2 questions: Did I have a previous criminal record and did I have any other dependants other than the ones disclosed on the form?  I responded No to both.  He updated accordingly, asked me to initial in a few places, gave me one of the two copies and sent me on my way. 

I proceeded around the corner.  A gentleman handed me a Newcomer to Canada booklet along with some additional information. Another lady gave me some additional information too.  Not all the information provided may be  relevant to your personal situation, more for reading and information purposes.  Another gentleman then assisted with SIN registration where the same documents are required again, including residence while in Canada.  SIN letter with SIN number received.  All these processes were quite quick and took less than 1/2 hour. 

Proceeded to Baggage Claims where my 3 cling-wrapped bags were waiting for me off the carousel.  They have a sniffer dog roaming around so be aware if bringing in biltong, etc.  Proceeded to Customs where they send you to their detailed inspection area.  There was a queue of approximately 10 people.  This took some time and was taking longer than expected.  After about 40 minutes and with the queue not moving very quickly, a couple of Customs Officials came to walk the queue and people were asked to proceed without any further inspection required.  I was one of the lucky few to proceed without inspection.  This may have been different if I had the Goods to Follow List.  Overall, a very smooth and efficient process to clear. 

Formal arrival into the International Arrivals Hall.  While waiting for my lift, went to Tim Horton's for a coffee but low and behold they don't do cappucino's at their airport branch.  So expensive Starbucks it was for my first cupper.  My lift, family friends, arrived shortly thereafter. 

Family friends hosted me for the first week or so.  I've been in Airbnb for just over a week. 

Administration:

1. Bank Account:  I opened a Bank account the following morning.  The following bank accounts were opened with Royal Bank of Canada (RBC):  Cheque Account, USD account (got some investment accounts for USD coming in), savings account and Credit Card.  Most of the big banks now cater for the newcomers as this is where they can see potential growth in their market share with the current competition.  Most of my friends bank with RBC and there was a branch close by.  Deposit some money if you already have that available but you'll need some cash until the credit card is ready for collection.  Make use of your SA credit cards too if necessary.  You get Online Banking which you can register immediately too if required.  Credit card was ready for collection 4 working days after application and have used it ever since as I'm trying to build up that credit history. 
  2. Health Card:  I went to the Canada Service Centre in Downtown early the following week.  You now have all the necessary information with the exception of Proof of Residence.  The only proof will be the statement of your cheque account when it gets posted 30 days after application.  For the province of Ontario you will have the 3-month waiting period which is calculated from landing date so this proof of residence doesn't impact timing thereof.  I'm still waiting to finalise this process. 
  3. Drivers License:  I'm in possession of International Driver's License which allows for driving for 60 days after landing.  I had to write the Ontario Drivers Knowledge Test's (Learners).  It doesn't matter how long you've been driving for or how well you know how to drive.  Canada has different terminology for sidewalks, pavements for roads, traffic light, etc.  I purchase the handbook for more than $16 but the Handbook is available online at the following link:  http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/index.shtml.  My best advice would be to google Ontario Drivers Knowledge Test questions -  a couple of sites come with various practise questions.  I studies the handbook for a couple of days but I did the practise questions about two hours the morning before writing and that helped significantly, especially with test technique.  Would look at these questions slightly earlier than in the morning though.  Tests are written at DriveSafe Centres in the province, a list of which is available on their website.  There's not many so they get full quite quickly.  Test is two sections of 20 multiple choice questions each... road signs and road rules.  You have to get 80% on each to pass.  Now onto the next challenge... a letter is require from the South African Traffic Department confirming years of experience so that I can proceed with the actual Road test.  There are more detailed topics dealing with Ontario drivers with more detailed info. 
  4. Connectivity:  I've purchased some airtime (unlimited Canada-wide) and data (1Gb) with Bell costing $85 per month (excl. HST), cancellable at any time, using with South African smartphone which was previously Unblocked.  I'm going to wait for accommodation to be sorted before arranging for better deals of bundle package including home phone, home internet, cable / fibre and cellphones.  Connectivity quite expensive here in my opinion, especially pre-paid since you can pay for receiving calls too.  You can get an new smartphone for an additional $20 per month but signing a new 24-month contract.  There may be other priorities after landing but important to get the Canadian number for potential recruiters and employers. 

Recruitment has been tough since landing.  I've been fortunate enough to meet up with 4 recruiters since landing and each one has been fantastic in sharing their experiences.  I've received in excess of 10 job descriptions but none have yielded any company interviews yet. I'm hopeful that some interviews gets set up for next week.  If anyone on the boards is willing to help out a CA(SA) then please shout. 

I think this is all for now.  Please don't hesitate to contact me in private or on this topic if you have any more questions for the benefit of the others. 

Good luck. 

• Like 17

Merida
50 minutes ago, Ribsy said:

They have a sniffer dog roaming around so be aware if bringing in biltong, etc

Don't bring biltong.  My mom's biltong was confiscated.  I guess any biltong you bring in might just become a treat for the sniffer dog once they have confiscated your biltong.  You can get biltong here.

• Like 1

GerdaT

@Ribsy, Thank you for sharing. All the best!! Hope you are successful in landing a job ASAP.

• Like 1

LaurenW

Thanks for this Ribsy! Really useful for those of us just behind you... Please keep us updated as you go and best of luck with the recruitment!

• Like 1

Annasofe13

@Ribsy thank you for sharing your landing and your first few days. I wish you all the best:)

• Like 1

Painter lady

Good to hear from you @Ribsy. Hang in there, that job will come your way soon. 

• Like 1

DuncanP
7 hours ago, Ribsy said:

Good day all,

I've been requested to provide an update on my / our landing... I apologise for the long-winded note in advance but I thought it important to be detailed.  I also apologise for the delayed correspondence... it's been quite hectic!!!

For those of you unaware, we received our PR visas at the end of Feb 2017.  Our decision was for me to come across as soon as possible to try and obtain employment, find accommodation and furnish as much as possible before my wife and kids land around July 2017.  This decision was based on the following factors:

1. Recruitment slows down from June onwards as Canada enters the summer and holiday season similar to SA's Nov - Jan period.  Recruitment only picks up from September onwards again.
  2. The school year ends in June and starts up again in September only.  It's a long time for kids to be at home for this period and we feel it will be better for them to settle in if they get to commence their schooling at the beginning of the school year as opposed to half way during the school year. 
  3. I have greater flexibility regarding accommodation, transportation and general getting around without the rest of the family on board.  In addition, it's more expensive for all these elements in Canada when compared to SA. 
  4. We need to arrange for accommodation before deciding on what furniture items we may want to take across with us.  Container being packed end May. 

I flew out on SAA / Lufthansa via Munich on 6th April and landed in Toronto Pearson International Airport at approximately 15:00 on 7th April (just about 24 hours of travelling).  Effectively just over 2 weeks since landing...

I proceeded to standard Passport control where my SA passport along with the PR visa and completed Customs Declaration form, including disclosure of significant foreign currency.  The Customs Official circled a few items with a red crayon and welcomed me to Canada.  I was instructed to proceed to the Immigrations office which was just around the corner (approximately 50 metres away). There were 4 families ahead of me in the queue.  On request, I presented all my documents to the Official... SA passport and Letter of Confirmation of Permanent Residence (in duplicate).  He asked me where I would be staying?  He then asked me 2 questions: Did I have a previous criminal record and did I have any other dependants other than the ones disclosed on the form?  I responded No to both.  He updated accordingly, asked me to initial in a few places, gave me one of the two copies and sent me on my way. 

I proceeded around the corner.  A gentleman handed me a Newcomer to Canada booklet along with some additional information. Another lady gave me some additional information too.  Not all the information provided may be  relevant to your personal situation, more for reading and information purposes.  Another gentleman then assisted with SIN registration where the same documents are required again, including residence while in Canada.  SIN letter with SIN number received.  All these processes were quite quick and took less than 1/2 hour. 

Proceeded to Baggage Claims where my 3 cling-wrapped bags were waiting for me off the carousel.  They have a sniffer dog roaming around so be aware if bringing in biltong, etc.  Proceeded to Customs where they send you to their detailed inspection area.  There was a queue of approximately 10 people.  This took some time and was taking longer than expected.  After about 40 minutes and with the queue not moving very quickly, a couple of Customs Officials came to walk the queue and people were asked to proceed without any further inspection required.  I was one of the lucky few to proceed without inspection.  This may have been different if I had the Goods to Follow List.  Overall, a very smooth and efficient process to clear. 

Formal arrival into the International Arrivals Hall.  While waiting for my lift, went to Tim Horton's for a coffee but low and behold they don't do cappucino's at their airport branch.  So expensive Starbucks it was for my first cupper.  My lift, family friends, arrived shortly thereafter. 

Family friends hosted me for the first week or so.  I've been in Airbnb for just over a week. 

Administration:

1. Bank Account:  I opened a Bank account the following morning.  The following bank accounts were opened with Royal Bank of Canada (RBC):  Cheque Account, USD account (got some investment accounts for USD coming in), savings account and Credit Card.  Most of the big banks now cater for the newcomers as this is where they can see potential growth in their market share with the current competition.  Most of my friends bank with RBC and there was a branch close by.  Deposit some money if you already have that available but you'll need some cash until the credit card is ready for collection.  Make use of your SA credit cards too if necessary.  You get Online Banking which you can register immediately too if required.  Credit card was ready for collection 4 working days after application and have used it ever since as I'm trying to build up that credit history. 
  2. Health Card:  I went to the Canada Service Centre in Downtown early the following week.  You now have all the necessary information with the exception of Proof of Residence.  The only proof will be the statement of your cheque account when it gets posted 30 days after application.  For the province of Ontario you will have the 3-month waiting period which is calculated from landing date so this proof of residence doesn't impact timing thereof.  I'm still waiting to finalise this process. 
  3. Drivers License:  I'm in possession of International Driver's License which allows for driving for 60 days after landing.  I had to write the Ontario Drivers Knowledge Test's (Learners).  It doesn't matter how long you've been driving for or how well you know how to drive.  Canada has different terminology for sidewalks, pavements for roads, traffic light, etc.  I purchase the handbook for more than $16 but the Handbook is available online at the following link:  http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/index.shtml.  My best advice would be to google Ontario Drivers Knowledge Test questions -  a couple of sites come with various practise questions.  I studies the handbook for a couple of days but I did the practise questions about two hours the morning before writing and that helped significantly, especially with test technique.  Would look at these questions slightly earlier than in the morning though.  Tests are written at DriveSafe Centres in the province, a list of which is available on their website.  There's not many so they get full quite quickly.  Test is two sections of 20 multiple choice questions each... road signs and road rules.  You have to get 80% on each to pass.  Now onto the next challenge... a letter is require from the South African Traffic Department confirming years of experience so that I can proceed with the actual Road test.  There are more detailed topics dealing with Ontario drivers with more detailed info. 
  4. Connectivity:  I've purchased some airtime (unlimited Canada-wide) and data (1Gb) with Bell costing $85 per month (excl. HST), cancellable at any time, using with South African smartphone which was previously Unblocked.  I'm going to wait for accommodation to be sorted before arranging for better deals of bundle package including home phone, home internet, cable / fibre and cellphones.  Connectivity quite expensive here in my opinion, especially pre-paid since you can pay for receiving calls too.  You can get an new smartphone for an additional $20 per month but signing a new 24-month contract.  There may be other priorities after landing but important to get the Canadian number for potential recruiters and employers. 

Recruitment has been tough since landing.  I've been fortunate enough to meet up with 4 recruiters since landing and each one has been fantastic in sharing their experiences.  I've received in excess of 10 job descriptions but none have yielded any company interviews yet. I'm hopeful that some interviews gets set up for next week.  If anyone on the boards is willing to help out a CA(SA) then please shout. 

I think this is all for now.  Please don't hesitate to contact me in private or on this topic if you have any more questions for the benefit of the others. 

Good luck. 

Fantastic information 

• Like 1

DuncanP
7 hours ago, Ribsy said:

Good day all,

Administration:

Good luck. 

Why did you not do a goods to follow list but you are doing a container?

you will be taxed on everything 

Qrios1

@Ribsy thank you for sharing.  Keep the faith your time shall come. This gives the rest of us hope. 

• Like 1

Qrios1

@DuncanP his family is coming in July. He first needs to find a place and dimensions to see what furniture will work in their new space. 

• Like 2

Painter lady

@DuncanP, some of your comments  come across as being a bit rude. Please mind your tone.

• Like 4

Merida

Duncan is being blunt, not rude.

Jules
1 hour ago, Merida said:

Duncan is being blunt, not rude.

Unfortunately (recently) we have had to delete some posts which were beyond the blunt category. 

Just a reminder to everyone on this forum that we strive to be an open group which is kind and respectful of one another. Unfortunately written communication can easily misinterpreted and it's very likely that prior posts deemed to be too far over the line,  were not intended to offend. I belive that all of us visit this forum to help and be helped. But written communication is a tough medium to convey "tone" which raises the risk of misunderstanding. 

• Like 2

Merida
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, DuncanP said:

Why did you not do a goods to follow list but you are doing a container?

you will be taxed on everything 

@Ribsy, check your record of landing form (IMM1000) or confirmation of permanent residence form (IMM5292).

I did not bring a container, i.e. definitely had no goods to follow.  At the back of my IMM1000 they stamped B4E NOT REQUIRED No goods to be imported later as settler's effects.

If your IMM1000 (or IMM5292) has something similar stamped on it then maybe you can rush to the nearest Canada Customs and ask them to correct it for you.  Perhaps they will.  I don't know.

Edited by Merida

FaithFUL
7 hours ago, Merida said:

@Ribsy, check your record of landing form (IMM1000) or confirmation of permanent residence form (IMM5292).

I did not bring a container, i.e. definitely had no goods to follow.  At the back of my IMM1000 they stamped B4E NOT REQUIRED No goods to be imported later as settler's effects.

If your IMM1000 (or IMM5292) has something similar stamped on it then maybe you can rush to the nearest Canada Customs and ask them to correct it for you.  Perhaps they will.  I don't know.

I was wondering about that. He is planning on bringing over furniture after all which should be classified as goods to follow. Keep us posted @Ribsy. Will hold thumbs that you land a job real soon!!

Ribsy

@DuncanP, @FaithFUL and @Merida.  Thanks for your comments, opinions and feedback.  I didn't declare anything as I had nothing to declare on entry as we were uncertain on what we were bringing across.  This was disclosed on entry.  We are now engaging with the moving companies to assist with the necessary customs declaration documents and I will engage with customs here if necessary. I will keep you informed once I have further feedback.   

JeniD

Thanks for the information! Please keep us updated on how the job search unfolds....

Annasofe13

@Ribsy how are things going in Canada, any luck with the job hunting?

• Like 1

Ribsy
15 hours ago, Annasofe13 said:

@Ribsy how are things going in Canada, any luck with the job hunting?

@Annasofe13.  It was my one month anniversary of being a Canadian Permanent Resident yesterday so I celebrated in true Canadian fashion of chicken wings, beer and watching some ice hockey... only kidding. 

The search for employment continues.  I've had a couple of interviews but no fireworks just yet.  Most days are spent on my laptop and sending out resumes but no hits there yet.  

I have also tried to increase my network by looking for old work colleagues from South Africa that may have made the move across the pond, trying to join a local soccer team and going to church.  I've been able to make an additional 3 contacts in this regard.  It gets reiterated that most employment opportunities arise due to who you know as opposed to what you know and that I'm experiencing at the moment. 

The Bank statement for my cheque account was delivered last week so I was able to apply for my Health Card at Service Ontario earlier today.  3 months waiting period back dated till date of landing therefore it only becomes effective 7th July.  Not all medical is covered by the Ontario Health Card and therefore you need to ensure that you have the appropriate cover either through work or in your private capacity to cover any of your family health conditions. 

The Road Traffic Management Centre letter with my driving experience was received via DHL earlier today too so I'll be going to the Drive Safe Centre in the next few days to advise on Road Test process.  Anyone have any recommendations on going for lessons prior to the Road Test and any god Driving Schools or Instructors? 

As frustrating as it is, I'm enjoying some down time away from the hustle and bustle and recharging the batteries for the next level. 

• Like 8

MaryJane
2 hours ago, Ribsy said:

Anyone have any recommendations on going for lessons prior to the Road Test and any god Driving Schools or Instructors? 

I think you'll be fine with the road test but if you'd like a driving school recommendation, my child went to Bernie's. You can check with them if they do just 1or 2 lessons just to brush up. I believe they do. http://www.berniesdrivingschool.com

• Like 2

Annasofe13

@Ribsy glad to hear you are enjoying your down time, good to make the most of it. We are all holding thumbs for you!

Ribsy
14 hours ago, MaryJane said:

I think you'll be fine with the road test but if you'd like a driving school recommendation, my child went to Bernie's. You can check with them if they do just 1or 2 lessons just to brush up. I believe they do. http://www.berniesdrivingschool.com

Thanks @MaryJane, I appreciate the additional contact.  Although I should be ok I just want to make sure that I get through first time and not fail due to a silly mistake.  It's also been more than a month since I've driven a car so it would be good for a short and quick catch up session. 

8 hours ago, Annasofe13 said:

@Ribsy glad to hear you are enjoying your down time, good to make the most of it. We are all holding thumbs for you!

@Annasofe13, appreciate the support. 

Nettie
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Ribsy said:

The Road Traffic Management Centre letter with my driving experience was received via DHL earlier today too so I'll be going to the Drive Safe Centre in the next few days to advise on Road Test process.  Anyone have any recommendations on going for lessons prior to the Road Test and any god Driving Schools or Instructors? 

I did a couple of drive lessons since I didn't have a car when I arrived in 2014. I needed a car to do the test with and I didn't want to go in a car that I was unfamiliar with. The guy gave me some good pointers even though I already had an 13 year old driving history in Canada and the US (my FL license expired and I had to do redo the learners and drive test). I also did a lesson the morning of my test, which I found very helpful (just to calm the nerves down and review the things that they specifically test). In Ottawa, the drive instructor took me around the area where they do the test. In Ontario you get a credit/benefit/pay less on your insurance if you did a driving course, which should include class room time.

For licensed Driving Instructors, here is a link:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/driving-schools.shtml

Edited by Nettie
  • Like 3

evans

Thank you for sharing, much appreciate it :cowboy:

Annasofe13

@Ribsy how are things going in Canada? Been able to find a job as yet?