Sign in to follow this  
LidiaS77

Anyone in Victoria?

LidiaS77

Is there anyone living in Victoria who would like to share some general tips or information about life there? We moved here recently and are loving it so far.

• Like 2

Jules

Did you find work in Victoria?

By all accounts it's a beautiful place but isn't a hotbed of employment. 

LidiaS77

Hi Jules,

My husband and I are still working for our company in South Africa as web/mobile app developers and web/graphic designers. They have been extremely supportive of us in many ways and for the moment this remote working arrangement is suiting us very well. Also, Victoria is described as a tech hub and booming tech industry and from research I've done there seems to be many job opportunities in our fields and small agencies that do similar work and offer a working environment that we would enjoy (office and remote). I've also heard that employment opportunities in some other fields in Victoria might not be that great though.

• Like 2

MissFrowz

I'm in Victoria! I've lived here for five years and love it too! Feel free to PM me!

@Jules I find that a lot of people say finding work in Victoria is tough. I think it just depends on the person and industry, just like in any other Canadian city. There are a lot of government (all levels) jobs here, as well as tech, tourism and hospitality, and healthcare. I was only unemployed for one month here and that's because I had just moved and was taking time off from job hunting to enjoy the city. My parents and brother are new immigrants here as well and were able to find work almost immediately.

• Like 4

Jules
3 hours ago, MissFrowz said:

I'm in Victoria! I've lived here for five years and love it too! Feel free to PM me!

@Jules I find that a lot of people say finding work in Victoria is tough. I think it just depends on the person and industry, just like in any other Canadian city. There are a lot of government (all levels) jobs here, as well as tech, tourism and hospitality, and healthcare. I was only unemployed for one month here and that's because I had just moved and was taking time off from job hunting to enjoy the city. My parents and brother are new immigrants here as well and were able to find work almost immediately.

That's very good to hear. 

• Like 1

LidiaS77
On 4/24/2017 at 4:33 AM, Jules said:

Did you find work in Victoria?

Yes! My husband and I finally decided to apply for jobs in Victoria after a year of living here and still working remotely for our South African (now globally distributed) company. We both got the first (and only) jobs that we applied for, my husband as a full-time Android Mobile App Developer and me as a part-time Front-End Web Developer. We attended Discover Tectoria in February 2018, an expo of more than 75 tech firms and other companies in Victoria. We both met and talked with companies and other individuals there and then applied afterwards. My impression is that the tech sector is thriving and there are many opportunities here, especially if you're willing to attend all the tech events and network/connect with people.