Sign in to follow this  
SuzieQ

Where to live...where to live

SuzieQ

Hello lovelies 

so my obsessive nature is making me research the internet in true FBI style.

we will be landing in Toronto hopefully early next year all going to plan. Through contacts I have a possible job lined up in downtown Toronto / business district.

i was looking at the following areas: Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington. And then maybe some areas closer to downtown Toronto. 

We will both be working and have two toddlers that will require day care. We don't mind lively frugally as I realize we have to start our careers from the bottom again, which we have accepted and will embrace.

we really are more small town folk (fishing/outdoorsy)but when in Rome...

can you share your experience with  living in Toronto or GTA? What's your fav areas with small kids (day care costs considered) where one won't have to travel too long to downtown Toronto?

??

SuzieQ

No one? ?

Nelline

I am guessing maybe the weather is fabulous in the Tdot area right now so everyone is outside enjoying it! Hopefully someone will pitch in soon :P

MaryJane

Wow, you said it, Nelline. It was glorious B) I had been basking in the sun, while preparing tax returns for people :P

So to get on the matter at hand, SuzieQ, I live in Mississauga and my experiences are mostly Sauga-related. I will refer you back to a comment I made in answer to a post about where to live. This comment had been a while back and talked about how I ended up in Mississauga.

Toronto is accessible to Mississauga via various public transport. The best and fastest way would be with the GO train (http://www.gotransit.com/) It should be around 30-40 minutes to get into Downtown Toronto.

A bit of advice here is that if you work Downtown and you live in Mississauga (in fact anywhere else on the GTA) is to live close to a GO station.

I love Mississauga for the many reasons that you would like suburban life. There are many parks and playgrounds in and around residential areas. The City has many different initiatives in the community geared for children. Community centres offer kids programs all throughout the year. The library is a great popular spot for young and old (especially this particular old bird :D). In SA, I lived in both a very small town and a very big city. Mississauga reminded me the good things about both worlds.

Oakville and Burlington....I believe they are great places as well. I haven't lived in them but know loads of people who live in both cities and they absolutely love it. They have a more town-sy feel in them, maybe because they are slightly smaller cities than Mississauga.

Daycare, I think, would be expensive anywhere you go. I paid aftercare $425 a month for a school-going child (meaning she only needed care after school 3pm-6pm). I believe it is more expensive for a full day. I remember when I sent my child for a full day camp for a month, I paid about +/- $1000. :stretcher:

Anyways, I hope you have not been put off. All the best for the decision and the move!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

corwes

You can consider Stouffville. The town's motto is "Country close to the city". It is in the greenbelt so there is a limit to new developments. There is also a GO station.

• Thanks 1