zandekock

Halifax newcomers let's connect here

zandekock

HI there,

i would like to connect with Saffers in Halifax (established and newcomers).

we officially moved to Halifax, Dartmouth 30 March and I remember other members @louisrdev @Shado mentioning same timeframe to move to Halifax? If anyone interested to connect and chat and share please inbox me.

looking forward to hearing from youuuuu

Edited by zandekock
Name
  • Like 1

louisrdev

We are arriving on the 11th of May. We have booked furnished accommodation in Dartmouth for the first 3 weeks via airbnb, and hope to find a long term rental in the first three weeks. It would be good to keep in contact to share successes and failure and to give / receive advice.

• Like 1

PE/HALIFAXchic

Hi there. I've been in Halifax since Nov 2008. Feel free to ask any questions?

• Like 1

Jiv

Hi there. We are landing on 30 May 2017. Will keep in touch.

• Like 1

zandekock

Thank u @louisrdev and @PE/HALIFAXchic and @Jiv for replies.

headsup if you are still in SA buy good shoes/boots/takkies cause those are expensive here. I left a lot of shoes and clothes behind (suitcase restrictions) and clothes relatively same price but good shoes WAY expensive!

louisrdev

Hi everyone

@Jiv @PE/HALIFAXchic @zandekock

I've been really quiet lately with settling in and all that. So a quick update from my side.

We arrived on the 11th of May, landed in Halifax via London. Clearing immigration and all official processes took about an hour.

The next day we went out to get medical insurance cards, ID cards (got the drivers handbook as well, this is at the same place), and went to the bank to pick up bank cards (bank account was opened from SA). I am happy to report that none of the things on day one and two took more than 30 minutes, I don't even want to think how long this would have taken in SA.

Next day we got our SIN numbers sorted out and started looking for a rental to stay for the next year or thereabouts. (moved into a house on the 1st of June)

We also started looking to buy furniture, appliances, other household requirements etc. My experience here is that most things are slightly cheaper than SA, with a couple of things being more expensive here. Also, for those of you that like to shop online, don't do that for the major purchases, most places give good discounts when you go in person and they realize how much you will be buying.

I did my licence written test on day 3, and did my road test and got my full licence on the 19th of May.

With regards to the comment above by @zandekock on shoes, I can't comment on any of the local shops as I have not had a look there, but I've bought two pairs of Merrell shoes from Amazon for less than half of what I would have paid in SA, given they were on discount. Another thing, when the stores here have sales and specials, you can really get some good deals. Huge saving are available from time to time.

With regards to vehicle insurance, I worked through a broker called Cheep insurance, they arranged insurance for me through a company called Wawanesa or something like that, and they were willing to take my SA driving history and insurance history into account. I am currently paying about CAD120 / month, which is less than half of what other companies offered me for the same coverage and same deductibles.

Other than that we are really enjoying it so far. Everywhere you go the service is excellent. The outdoors is great. We were able to take the kids to Monster Jam. Minimal traffic on the daily commute to work and back. The only bad thing so far is the weather, it's been up and down with some really nice days, and some horrible days. But then again, we did not come here for the weather.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Cheers

• Like 6

zandekock

@louisrdevcongrats on landing and moving

tx for the Amazon tip, since my post I see that there are cheaper online options but please let me know if you find a shop too. Great to hear from you :)

• Like 1

Jiv

Hi everyone. We arrived in Halifax on 30 of May 2017. Rented an apartment in Clayton park. Our daughter started attending at Park West school. Still busy organizing things. WHAT A SHOCK. EVERYTHING is so different to what we are used to. Anyone interested to meet can contact us anytime.  

• Like 2

annied

Hi Jiv

We are in clayton park too. Been here  for 1 year. Its a good central area.

Nice meeting you today Suzanne. Canada day was great fun despite the weather

• Like 1

louisrdev

Hi @Jiv @annied

We are also in Clayton park, currently renting here. Just down the street from Park West where my oldest son will be starting primary later this year. Seems like Clayton Park is hot spot for immigrants. Probably because of the school, and also the fact that is quite easy to get anywhere from here :)

• Like 1

Shado
On 4/21/2017 at 1:35 PM, zandekock said:

HI there,

i would like to connect with Saffers in Halifax (established and newcomers).

we officially moved to Halifax, Dartmouth 30 March and I remember other members @louisrdev @Shado mentioning same timeframe to move to Halifax? If anyone interested to connect and chat and share please inbox me.

looking forward to hearing from youuuuu

Sorry I wasn't following this forum for a while. Glad to hear from you, and your updates.

Yes we moved to Halifax in May and settled well. 

• Like 1

Shado
On 6/18/2017 at 1:32 AM, louisrdev said:

Hi everyone

@Jiv @PE/HALIFAXchic @zandekock

I've been really quiet lately with settling in and all that. So a quick update from my side.

We arrived on the 11th of May, landed in Halifax via London. Clearing immigration and all official processes took about an hour.

The next day we went out to get medical insurance cards, ID cards (got the drivers handbook as well, this is at the same place), and went to the bank to pick up bank cards (bank account was opened from SA). I am happy to report that none of the things on day one and two took more than 30 minutes, I don't even want to think how long this would have taken in SA.

Next day we got our SIN numbers sorted out and started looking for a rental to stay for the next year or thereabouts. (moved into a house on the 1st of June)

We also started looking to buy furniture, appliances, other household requirements etc. My experience here is that most things are slightly cheaper than SA, with a couple of things being more expensive here. Also, for those of you that like to shop online, don't do that for the major purchases, most places give good discounts when you go in person and they realize how much you will be buying.

I did my licence written test on day 3, and did my road test and got my full licence on the 19th of May.

With regards to the comment above by @zandekock on shoes, I can't comment on any of the local shops as I have not had a look there, but I've bought two pairs of Merrell shoes from Amazon for less than half of what I would have paid in SA, given they were on discount. Another thing, when the stores here have sales and specials, you can really get some good deals. Huge saving are available from time to time.

With regards to vehicle insurance, I worked through a broker called Cheep insurance, they arranged insurance for me through a company called Wawanesa or something like that, and they were willing to take my SA driving history and insurance history into account. I am currently paying about CAD120 / month, which is less than half of what other companies offered me for the same coverage and same deductibles.

Other than that we are really enjoying it so far. Everywhere you go the service is excellent. The outdoors is great. We were able to take the kids to Monster Jam. Minimal traffic on the daily commute to work and back. The only bad thing so far is the weather, it's been up and down with some really nice days, and some horrible days. But then again, we did not come here for the weather.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Cheers

It's great to read your landing experience. 

FaithFUL

Just out of interest. How big is Halifax compared to our smaller cities, Pmb comes to mind?

Shado
6 hours ago, FaithFUL said:

Just out of interest. How big is Halifax compared to our smaller cities, Pmb comes to mind?

May be like Rustenburg, but much beautiful, hardly any crime and lot of lakes around. 

You could always zoom in and see in Google earth or Google street view to get an idea.

• Like 1

zandekock

Halifax temp position for Cashier 2-4 weeks, inbox me for details

Odijonk

@louisrdev.... wow thank you for sharing it is so nice to hear how happy people are... and still be honest to say how shocking it is to one's system...  please can you be so kind to tell me more about your work permit....? How does it work with your family and did you get your ITA quicker?

Druce

Hi everyone, anyone here willing to share their thoughts on Halifax's current economy vs cost of living? I would also like to know what the "culture" is like there vs Toronto, WInnipeg, Calgary etc. 

Thank you in advance for the replies 😀

zandekock

Hi @Druce 

Good question, I would like to follow this thread

I have nothing to compare to but as a family we have found that we have been able to build toward goals quickly (car, house, etc) on entry level salaries. Halifax is a small city, small population, very laid back culture, big student population. lots of things for kids and young people and summer is very outdoor focused with festivals and events and things

I too would like to know more about Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary etc.