Laineswan

Walking by Faith...

Laineswan

Hi all!

So this is us so far...

Been considering the possibility of immigration ever since we had the privilege of visiting Canada, as well as USA & UK, about 3 years ago.

We have family in Toronto, ON.

Finally began the process earlier this year.

The best route for us, after considering all the options, is the study visa route.

We have our business in SA, so for now, my husband will have to stay behind to run things here, and our daughter and I, will have to go ahead, as pioneers of some sort. :)

A little scary of course, but after much prayer for doors to be opened, especially from our daughter (14), we can't ignore the blessing this is, and have it overshadowed by fear.

I'm a Photographer, so will further my career by studying Photo Journalism, and in turn hopefully add some value

We've made use of an agent, docs submitted and currently waiting to hear the (good, I hope) news.

We're headed for Belleville, Ontario.

Please tell me there's some blessed SA soul on this forum that is living there at present, headed there, or somewhere close by?

Would love some first-hand info in addition to the endless research I've done online so far.

Looking forward to hearing your story...

Thanks for listening to mine ;)

Madeleine

• Like 3

Annasofe13

@Laineswan good luck, sounds like you well on your way!

• Like 1

Laineswan

Annasofe13 thanks so much for your encouraging reply!

Your profile says you're in Toronto?

How long? Happy? :)

• Like 1

Annasofe13

Not there yet, hoping to go over in October:)

• Like 1

Laineswan

All the best!! ^_^

• Like 1

Jules

Sounds like you are a person of faith. Remind yourself that the Bible is full of emigrating stories so you don't have to stay where you are born. You can do it too. And if this Canadian process feels like it takes too long, be glad that it doesn't take 40 years. 

:-)

• Like 7

Annasofe13

@Jules very thankful that it does not take 40 years

• Like 3

Freddy
5 hours ago, Laineswan said:

Hi all!

So this is us so far...

Been considering the possibility of immigration ever since we had the privilege of visiting Canada, as well as USA & UK, about 3 years ago.

We have family in Toronto, ON.

Finally began the process earlier this year.

The best route for us, after considering all the options, is the study visa route.

We have our business in SA, so for now, my husband will have to stay behind to run things here, and our daughter and I, will have to go ahead, as pioneers of some sort. :)

A little scary of course, but after much prayer for doors to be opened, especially from our daughter (14), we can't ignore the blessing this is, and have it overshadowed by fear.

I'm a Photographer, so will further my career by studying Photo Journalism, and in turn hopefully add some value

We've made use of an agent, docs submitted and currently waiting to hear the (good, I hope) news.

We're headed for Belleville, Ontario.

Please tell me there's some blessed SA soul on this forum that is living there at present, headed there, or somewhere close by?

Would love some first-hand info in addition to the endless research I've done online so far.

Looking forward to hearing your story...

Thanks for listening to mine ;)

Madeleine

Just got inspired by the title of your post. Faith is all about perspective, what you choose to believe. There is inner peace that you have that doesnt make you fret when you know God is leading you and you KNOW it. Let me add this....when I heard in my spirit in 2011 that it was time to pack up in SA and relocate to Canada. Lot of our friends thought we are crazy. 5 years years down the line....many of them are asking us for help.

Edited by Freddy
  • Like 9

Wolverine
1 hour ago, Freddy said:

Just got inspired by the title of your post. Faith is all about perspective, what you choose to believe. There is inner peace that you have that doesnt make you fret when you know God is leading you and you KNOW it. Let me add this....when I heard in my spirit in 2011 that it was time to pack up in SA and relocate to Canada. Lot of our friends thought we are crazy. 5 years years down the line....many of them are asking us for help.

Freddy buddy, 

you read my mind.

• Like 2

Laineswan

WolverineFreddyJules

You have me all misty this morning.

Thank you for the encouragement & inspiration.

If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it, right?! :)

One of my all time favourites: Jeremiah 29:11 (& 12,13)

Trust & obey...despite the obstacles, and yes, there are many, but then again, if it were easy we wouldn't see God's amazing grace and awesome power in action!

My parents and sister are a little gutted at the moment & of course there's all the red tape! :(

Just keep swimming, and praying, and believing...xoxo

download.png

• Like 6

Annasofe13

@Laineswan amen sister, God is good!

• Like 1

Jules

I still carry in my wallet a piece of paper I wrote out almost 13 years ago when we landed in Canada. It was a basic budget and how long our money would last. We landed with very little so it was not going to last long. Not sure if I was brave or stupid. We had no family in Canada to help if we ran out of money. I had no job. 

The budget wasn't very long simply because the money wasn't lasting too long. I prayed a lot - for a certain amount of income within a certain timeline. The job offer came in the nick of time and at the exact dollar amount I had written down. Timing was perfect.

I still carry that piece of paper in my wallet to remind myself of God's grace. I will keep it until the day I die. 

• Like 15

Hencolinde

Everyone at some stage in their lives has to undertake their "walking by faith" journey. In our case I feel it is more correct to refer to our journey as a "leap of faith". My mom usually says, if it is meant to be, it will happen. Although I sometimes get irritated with that saying, purely because you usually want things to happen on your own terms, I almost every time find myself looking back and think that indeed everything happened exactly when it was supposed to. HIS timing is always perfect, we must just put everything in HIS hands. We are just there to do the leg work HE sorts out the rest.

• Like 4

Painter lady

Wow @Jules....

• Like 1

Cathy K

Oh boy, I can attest to this!

We retired to Sedgefield and lived in our dream house that we built ourselves (literary! I was hubby's only helper).

Then Charlene, our daughter sponsored us. Jules is talking about budget! We were much poorer than any church mouse.

We arrived with very little and promptly became the caregivers of Charlene's newly adopted five month old baby while Charlene worked the odd hours of a busy doctor.

Only God got us through those first few years. It then seemed that many of my prayers were answered with a resounding: "No!"

I was homesick, missed my independence, hated the weather (in comparison to Sedgefield). Helping to raise a baby when all our friends were happily retired, was challenging.

I now know better. God always had a plan. We would never have had the quality of life in Sedgefield that we now enjoy in Nanaimo.  We would have had to resort to the chaotic facilities in most of South Africa's state hospitals for our medical care. With the rising cost of living in South Africa we would surely have lost our house, just like many of our friends and family.

Our granddaughter is now sixteen years old and the centre of our universe. God helped us to raise a very remarkable young woman. We are in good health and are thanking God every day for this. Our medical emergencies were treated promptly by world class physicians in excellent hospitals. We have no financial worries.

• Like 7

Painter lady

@Cathy K, while I read your beautiful story, a quote from one of my favourite movies immediately came to mind! From the Marigold Hotel: "it will be okay in the end and if it's not okay, it's not the end yet". Only after I started typing, it striked me that the "Afrikanertjie" in your profile picture is indeed a marigold! I think my subconscious took over for a few seconds :rolleyes:

• Like 6

Laineswan

Thank you all for taking the time to share your amazing testimonies!

Such encouragement & relief to know that we are not alone in this!

As we celebrate Good Friday today, I'm reminded that God is the God of second chances.

I reckon this is ours, and I intend to embrace it with both arms!

Even on the days that the 'ifs' and 'buts' torment me, I will remember that Jesus has afforded us a new life in Him, and this is part of our 'walking by faith' journey.

Have a blessed Easter, all! ??

• Like 6

Pelser Expats
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Laineswan said:

WolverineFreddyJules

You have me all misty this morning.

Thank you for the encouragement & inspiration.

If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it, right?! :)

One of my all time favourites: Jeremiah 29:11 (& 12,13)

Trust & obey...despite the obstacles, and yes, there are many, but then again, if it were easy we wouldn't see God's amazing grace and awesome power in action!

My parents and sister are a little gutted at the moment & of course there's all the red tape! :(

Just keep swimming, and praying, and believing...xoxo

download.png

Oh wow...this piece of Scripture has given me strength many times...

God is good! 

• Like 2

Reibtseb
On 27/06/2017 at 8:22 AM, Pelser Expats said:

Oh wow...this piece of Scripture has given me strength many times...

God is good! 

Interesting how many of the people on here, the active ones at least, have faith in God. Feels like a scarce thing these days, so it's refreshing. :)

• Like 6

Cathy K

Reibtseb, I am often surprised at how many Canadians are actually religious. Voluble atheists and seculars may have succeeded in silencing us, but they will never change us. The lovely part of this is the fact that religious Canadians come from all walks of life; every colour, creed, and personal orientation.

We are united in God.

• Like 6

Reibtseb

That is great to know! I was kind of preparing for a godless, secular country. One more thing to look forward to. :)

• Like 1

Freddy
2 hours ago, Reibtseb said:

That is great to know! I was kind of preparing for a godless, secular country. One more thing to look forward to. :)

The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof!

• Like 4

Nelline

I know more Believers than non-Believers, over here.

• Like 4

LidiaS77

On 2 July, the day after Canada Day, people from more than 25 churches gathered in front of the BC Parliament Buildings here in Victoria for worship and a service. It was a great experience! Our church here is always full and the Christians we've met here are very passionate for the Lord.

church.jpg

• Like 9

Nettie

@Reibtseb My experience this time round, is very different from my first time moving here. The first time I was a young mom and my friends were from church, or other homeschoolers. This time I had a harsh reality check when I entered the job market and met more people outside of that setting. Sometimes you have to choose between keeping/getting a job vs talking about your faith. I did admit that I'm pro-life during a recent interview and got the job, but I have also been attacked in the work place for the same view, when I was asked point blank (I just said "yes", didn't try to prove my point). I usually don't talk politics or faith at work or on forums :unsure:.

On the plus side, you should be able to find a church where you can fellowship with other Believers and grow in your faith. 

Edited by Nettie
  • Like 2