Sign in to follow this  
CarlaBekker

Industrial Design in Canada

CarlaBekker

Hi there,

I am a newby to all of this. My boyfriend/life partner and I want to immigrate to Canada. I am an Industrial Designer and have been told that it will be best if we try get a visa on my 'qualifications' etc. So here is my questions:

Are there any Industrial Designers who has moved over?

How easy did you find it to find work while still in RSA? Would it be possible to find work before we go over?

I've had a few people tell me that it might be easier to apply for my Masters degree over there and then apply for residency once I've completed my studies, is this true?. I've already started with my Masters in Cape Town but should be able to transfer the research I have done thus far.

Has anyone taken a pet over?

I would assume that Industrial Design being on the scales skills list would make it a little easier to get the right paperwork. I contacted an immigration company in Cape Town and the gent who I spoke to had a nasty attitude because we are only in the fishing stages right now and wasn't ready to move right away. It would be great to hear from other people in a similar industry that has made the move. A person can only learn so much from online blogs.

Also, is it ridiculous to be hoping to find work in specific cities or is it best to just grab what you can find in the beginning?

Thank you for any advice in advance, hope to be meeting some of you in Canada soon!

MaryJane

Welcome to the forums, Carla!

I'm not in the same industry so I can't comment much on outlook and job market situation for your field.

Were you planning to come here as a permanent resident? Sorry, it was not mentioned on your post but it sounded like you wanted to make a permanent move so I assumed and am answering your question as if you can and will apply for PR.

For your other questions re: studying further here, that is definitely an option you could look at. Incidentally, what is your EE (Express Entry) score when you work it out? You might not need to look at a study permit if you have a high enough EE score to apply for permanent residence. I normally would suggest the study visa route as a second choice to the main PR one (via EE) because studying here in Canada is expensive especially if you are considered as an international student.

Pets have been shipped, flown and arrived! ^_^ There are many threads with regards pet travel and I'll link them up for you to read through.

http://www.sacanada.org/topic/20559-bringing-my-cats-with/

http://www.sacanada.org/topic/19422-quotes-for-pet-travel/

http://www.sacanada.org/topic/19364-opinions-on-best-pet-travel-companies/

Where are you thinking of landing?

CarlaBekker

Thank you very much for your reply MaryJane,

Yes, sorry, we are planning on trying for PR.We've been talking about it for years but only finally decided on it last week and now I am full steam ahead with the research. My EE score was 434, but I only found out afterwards that I clicked on a wrong option for my partner's details.  I will be redoing it soon.

I was told that actually finishing my masters degree will only give me 5 extra points :( But my date of landing would not be in the next year, I'd like to finish my degree first and pick up more work experience.

With all of this, there is no way that I will be able to leave my cat here. So thank you so much for sending me those links. I will have that sorted before anything else I assume! lol

MaryJane

434 is not a bad score. The scores have been going down as of recent. So it's definitely a good sign.

I think finishing your masters would give you 7 points more.

The EE process is not as quick as everyone thinks. I know some people have gotten their PRs via EE quite quickly but to plan the move properly, I'd say at least a good 6 months go into it prior the move. Some even do it within a year because there's just so much to do wrapping up.

CarlaBekker

6 months is super quick! Yeah, o ly trying to do the reasearch at the moment, I think I will only officially apply etc beginning next year to ensure than my studies are conpleted.