Sign in to follow this  
GerdaT

Max Number of Days Outside of Canada After Landing

GerdaT

@Zealan, you mentioned that people should be careful of not exceeding the max number of days outside Canada after landing:

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎12 at 10:40 PM, Zealan said:

PS. I would try prevent any scope creep from your intended October departure. If I am not mistaken, you mentioned activating your PR and then coming back for a few months?

If so, you should be careful not to exceed the maximum allowed days outside of Canada. They have been strict on this, and have been revoking PR status from immigrants that haven't stayed for the required time. 

Do you perhaps know what that number is? We are planning to do a short landing end of 2017, and then only returning later when we have secured employment for at least myself or my husband. (hopefully ASAP). But I was under the impression we had 5 years to finally move to Canada. What is the required time for landing?

Edited by GerdaT

MaryJane

To maintain your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period. During this time you must be here physically. 

The two years may not need to be continuous. An officer can confirm if your time in Canada counts when you:

• re-enter Canada, or
  • apply for a permanent resident card.

More info here - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=4

So if you plan to be outside of Canada after landing, you have 3 years before you have to come back. It might be prudent to plan coming back prior to the 3 years being up.

GerdaT

Thanks @MaryJane,

Yes - I also understood it like that. Phew!

Would it be fine if we only stay in Canada for 2 weeks during our Landing trip?

MaryJane
6 minutes ago, GerdaT said:

Thanks @MaryJane,

Yes - I also understood it like that. Phew!

Would it be fine if we only stay in Canada for 2 weeks during our Landing trip?

Yes.

• Like 2

Merida
15 hours ago, GerdaT said:

We are planning to do a short landing end of 2017, and then only returning later when we have secured employment for at least myself or my husband. (hopefully ASAP).

An important consideration is that one is at a disadvantage when applying for jobs from outside Canada.  Even though by then you would be legally allowed to work in Canada some employers might consider candidates outside Canada, however many won't.  The logistics of their hiring process, such as whether they are willing to do Skype interviews etc. will determine whether they would consider candidates outside Canada,

In South Africa you normally need to give a month's notice when resigning, whereas here it is only two weeks.  So unless one has far superior skills/experience to the local applicants the employer is unlikely to wait a month or more for you to resign and wrap things up in South Africa.

As others have mentioned, an important method of finding a job here is networking, which would be challenging from South Africa.

@GerdaT , what are your occupations?

Perhaps a better idea might be when you come to do your landing, that the one who is most likely to get a job quicker, i.e. skills in high demand, stays here while the other returns to start wrapping things up.

Edited by Merida
notice when resigning
  • Like 1

Zealan

Here is an article about removal orders:

http://www.cicnews.com/2017/01/number-canadian-immigrants-issued-removal-orders-more-than-doubled-between-2008-2014-018817.html

Canadian permanent residence requirements

Canada’s immigration laws require permanent residents to accumulate 730 “residency days” in every five-year period in order for the individual to remain in compliance with his or her obligations as a permanent resident of Canada.

The simplest and most common way for immigrants to remain in compliance with these laws is by physical presence in Canada. However, given Canada’s international economic and social outlook, the government provides other means for immigrants to be physically outside Canada, but at the same time accumulating residency days.

If an immigrant:

• is outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or is a child accompanying a parent; or
  • is outside Canada employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province; or
  • is an accompanying spouse, common-law partner or child of a permanent resident who is outside Canada and is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province,

he or she may continue to accumulate residency days.

Immigrants who lose their status can appeal to the immigration appeal division based on errors in law, or humanitarian and compassionate grounds such as hardship from family separation. However, this last resort has a low success rate.

• Like 1

Wolverine
8 hours ago, Zealan said:

730 “residency days” in EVERY five-year period. Note this. this is the deal breaker. you miss it once you miss it all. You are only safe once a citizen, but with lots of people claiming the citizenship and moving back, i'm sure Canada will come up with something else at some stage just to keep people "imprisoned".

• Like 1

Merida
40 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

730 “residency days” in EVERY five-year period. Note this. this is the deal breaker. you miss it once you miss it all. You are only safe once a citizen, but with lots of people claiming the citizenship and moving back, i'm sure Canada will come up with something else at some stage just to keep people "imprisoned".

I don't think the reason will be to keep people imprisoned but to have Canadian citizens who really want to be Canadian, i.e. live in Canada.  

Rather than those who just use it as a convenience, e.g. call on their Canadian citizenship rights to be rescued when things go pear shaped in their home country.  

GerdaT

@ Merida, yes - we will consider to have either my husband or myself going over beforehand just looking for work. But we will first try all possible avenues from SA.

We are both engineers - industrial and civil. Seems like there are more opportunities for him.(Civil)

Thanks @ Wolverine! We will need to do detail planning to ensure we don't lose our PR... imagine all this hard work and stress just to be sent back!

• Like 2

Annasofe13

@GerdaT my fellow Industrial Engineer! I hope for the best for you and your husband.

• Like 2

Merida
On March 14, 2017 at 0:01 PM, GerdaT said:

We are both engineers - industrial and civil. Seems like there are more opportunities for him.(Civil)

I think it's because Canada doesn't have much of a manufacturing industry left.  

Most job opportunities for industrial engineers would be when the current industrial engineers retire.

Jules
On 3/14/2017 at 2:09 PM, Merida said:

I don't think the reason will be to keep people imprisoned but to have Canadian citizens who really want to be Canadian, i.e. live in Canada.  

Rather than those who just use it as a convenience, e.g. call on their Canadian citizenship rights to be rescued when things go pear shaped in their home country.  

100% agree. There has been too many examples of people becoming citizens and then moving back "home" and basically turning their backs on Canada. Then one day when there's a natural disaster or civil war in the home country they want to wave their Canadian passport to be rescued and brought back to Canada. That's grossly unfair to the local tax payers  (citizens and residents).

I like the American law that makes you file taxes regardless of where you reside - this is a requirement of all American citizens. Canada should do the same. Actually Canada should also levy a non-resident surcharge tax considering the fact that they are no longer paying taxes in Canada. If people don't like it they can hand in their passport and get on with living back "home"

Wolverine
On 3/14/2017 at 0:09 PM, Merida said:

Quite fair.

LotzofTravel
On 3/15/2017 at 9:28 AM, Annasofe13 said:

@GerdaT my fellow Industrial Engineer! I hope for the best for you and your husband.

@GerdaT and @Annasofe13 My husband and I are also both Industrial Engineers :)  Seems like Canada will have a influx of us (hopefully) within the next year or so!

• Like 2

Merida

Pray that some industrial engineers have retired by the time you get here.  Apparently, there aren't many new positions.

This is regarding the job market for engineers in Canada: https://engineerscanada.ca/sites/default/files/Labour-Market-2015-e.pdf

It includes useful graphs/charts showing which provinces might have the most opportunities for a particular type of engineer.  This might be important in deciding where to settle/look for a job.

Edited by Merida
Labour Market Projections report for Engineers in Canada
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jules

Any Canadian based industrial engineers on this board able to give some insight?

• Like 2

GerdaT

Thanks Jules!

Luckily I see quite a lot of advertisements for Industrial engineers in Canada. Most employers just want people who are authorised to work on Canada. Hopefully, us IEs will be authorised in a couple of months.

@ Merida, thank you for the great link! Very useful.

Edited by GerdaT
  • Like 1

Merida

:D

Edited by Merida