Sign in to follow this  
LotzofTravel

Moving without a job

LotzofTravel

Hi All,

We just submitted our PR application and is now in the long waiting period, thinking about possibilities and ideas all day long.  Exciting and also a bit unnerving.  A job will be the most important thing in the beginning.  We have and Ontario Provincial Nomination, so we will need to land there and stay for at least six months. Obviously we will start to look for a job as soon as we get more certainty about PR approval, it seems as if it will be senseless to start and find something without it.  BUT I read so much about how difficult it is to get a/any job.  

Last night we got this "idea" of packing our bags as soon as we get the approval, and then stay somewhere between Ottowa and Toronto for six months, making it easier to go for interviews in either direction (and maybe the rest of Canada, we just need to be in Ontario for six months).  So yes I realise it will be far from both, and we will need to survive with no income for a while.  But we think maybe it will be cheaper doing it like this than stay in very-expensive-Toronto.

My question is if other members did something similar?  And is there small towns where the monthly rent would be cheaper than the big cities?

Ideas/suggestions/warnings are all welcome!

MaryJane

The thing is.... where do you want to work and live?????

Personally I think the distance between Ottawa and Toronto is not very far for frolic and a visit, but it is far for a daily commute to work.

I suppose the plan would be that if you get a job in Ottawa, then you'd look to find a place closer to that city, and the same goes for Toronto.

I can't say much about Ottawa but in Toronto, most people who work in downtown either live in Toronto itself, GTA north (Vaughan and such), or GTA west (Mississauga, Oakville and even further west).

Sorry, if you had mentioned your profession before, but I can't seem to remember what industry you are in. How likely are you to get a job in Toronto and surrounding? How about Ottawa?

If both areas are equal in job opportunities, then I suppose you just need to "settle" on a "small town". For Toronto, the further away you live from the city, the cheaper the rent becomes. What you'd need to look for is good access to the city (like a GO train transit close to where you'll settle, most of the GTA west have this and some in the east).

It's not an uncommon concept, coming to Canada without a job. Many immigrants have done it, including me. There are many advices to impart but in the end, you'll just have to get through this phase.

Good luck with your application and hope to "see you" this side!

• Like 1

Jules

Do you have a specific line of work or French language skills which makes you put Ottawa on your list?

If you aren't in government services and you can't speak French then Ottawa should not be on the list of targeted cities. JMHO

And Toronto region is much more than just Toronto. There are several cities within 100km of downtown Toronto. 

• Like 1

LotzofTravel

Thanks for the feedback. No we do not have french skills (yet), I have read that there is quite a few IT companies in Ottowa, we are both Industrial Engineers, with lots of Project/implementation management experience.  My husband also worked a lot in the logistics/import/export/customs/clearing industries, as well as banking, so I thought that Ottowa might provide us with some opportunities.

On 2/17/2017 at 2:56 PM, Jules said:

And Toronto region is much more than just Toronto. There are several cities within 100km of downtown Toronto. 

These 'several cities' - can those be compared to Fourways as a Joburg City, or rather like the difference between Joburg and Pretoria?  It's difficult to look on a map and get a feel for where the work/live noduses are.

Jules
3 hours ago, LotzofTravel said:

Thanks for the feedback. No we do not have french skills (yet), I have read that there is quite a few IT companies in Ottowa, we are both Industrial Engineers, with lots of Project/implementation management experience.  My husband also worked a lot in the logistics/import/export/customs/clearing industries, as well as banking, so I thought that Ottowa might provide us with some opportunities.

These 'several cities' - can those be compared to Fourways as a Joburg City, or rather like the difference between Joburg and Pretoria?  It's difficult to look on a map and get a feel for where the work/live noduses are.

Both.

Hamilton is definitely a stand-alone city although much smaller than Toronto. The rest are more like large municipalities although they have city status - places like Burlington, Mississauga, Oshawa etc. 

And the Kitchener Waterloo region is also a big place of employment for technology, research and insurance companies. 

Brantford (home of the great one) is a mid size manufacturing region. If you want to live in Canada you need to find out who the great one is. 

Brampton has lots of import/export companies and manufacturing. 

GTA / golden horseshoe  is huge. 

• Like 2

Spacefrog

Hi, 

From a general employment perspective, how difficult is it to find work in Toronto (incl surrounding areas)?

We recently received our PR status and will be "activating" it with a trip to Toronto at the end of October, initially we intended to travel the entire span of Canada and find the area that best resonated with us, but my leave balance doesn't allow such an extended trip :(. So we have decided to make the final decision based on our experience in Toronto, luckily I have managed to network a little and will be meeting with people in Thornhill, Burlington, Oakville and Hamilton with the only real tourist thing being a trip to the falls!

After this trip we intended to consider our options and then initiate the move by slowly applying for work etc, but circumstances have changed and we may have to mover sooner than initially intended. 

I know I must be prudent and have enough capital to at least support my family for 6 months, but notwithstanding this is it relatively easy to find employment and will we eventually find our feet? I come from a professional background and know that I will need to do a conversion course/exam to be recognized, which is fine and I'm willing to do this, but in the interim I need to support my family and I'm struggling to find even junior jobs online that don't require some form of Canadian experience or qualification ....      

Its such a daunting decision to up and leave the country you know, the friends and family you have, the job security you may enjoy and go somewhere new to start all over. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

MaryJane

Welcome to the forums @Spacefrog

Without knowing much about your profession and job market in the industry sector, your comfortable level when it comes to taking a job a few steps back, etc etc, it will be confusing to comment.

Generally, most people struggle the first few months (I think average is 2-3) as you settle and go about looking for a job. I don't know your line of work but if you look at job sites, are there a lot of job ads in your field? If so, then all you need to do is convince one of them to take a chance on you. This is the hard part.

Better odds to get a job when you are physically here and can attend interviews. If you have been applying outside Canada, think about it for a second. There are so many applicants available here that you now have 2 convincing arguments to make - why it's you they need to hire and why they need to wait for you so you can start the job - all remotely. If your profession is specific and special and rare, then it might be a different story. But since we're talking "generally", it is therefore not the case.

Based on how many have made the move, found jobs and stayed, generally speaking, the outlook is good.

I'd like to say that things will be easy but knowing that life is hard and unfair at times, I won't.

You just have to make it happen.

Have a good landing!

• Like 2