Sign in to follow this  
Chantel & Graeme Franck

Unabridged Birth Certificates taking forever

Chantel & Graeme Franck

Hi all,

Does anyone, by any miracle, have a contact at Home Affairs Pretoria that can speed up the process of mine and my husbands unabridged birth certificates?

We applied in July 2016 and whenever I call the Pretoria call center they say it is not yet processed! When I applied for them I thought wow I'm being proactive and getting things done well in advance- but obviously that was just the "South African" in me preparing for Home Affairs to fail!

Thanks in advance.

Dragyn

Sorry, can't help with a contact, I just have the number 0123008500. The call centre guy logged support tickets for me (I've applied in August, and still nothing), and told me to call back in two weeks.

JoannaB

Try csc@dha.gov.za

I can't promise any kind of fast tracking but at least you know it is logged because you get a case number

Good luck (my unabridged marriage certificate took 18 months) 

• Like 1

GerdaT

I mailed to these addresses... Only Sakia bothered to reply that they will assist in due course. (But, I do think it was sorted out earlier because of the mails)

Sakia.Lekala@dha.gov.za

InternalBirth.Section@dha.gov.za

'hacc@dha.gov.za'.

'mmabatho.motau@dha.gov.za'

'Madoda.Xaba@dha.gov.za'

I also phoned the helpline: 0800 60 11 90

Good luck!

• Like 1

Mheynes456

Hi All. I just wanted to double check with everyone....are unabridged birth certificates and marriage certificates still needed for EE? I can only see this on the CIC:

Mandatory documents (if applicable)

The following documents are mandatory if applicable (i.e., based on the personal circumstances of the applicant and their dependents).

When applicable, applications that do not contain the following documents will be rejected as incomplete and fees will be refunded.

Copy of birth certificate or other equivalent document

Purpose

To prove the dependent children’s relationship to the parents

Document requirements

• This document is required only if the applicant identifies dependent children.
  • The document must be one of the following:
    • birth certificate;
    • equivalent document from the birth country; or
    • letter of explanation (where no birth certificate is available in the country).

Individuals who must submit this documentation

• All the dependent children, including non-accompanying

Proof of studies

Provincial or territorial certificate of qualification

Letter of offer from the employer

Proof of funds

Use of a Representative form [IMM 5476]

Evidence of common-law union and cohabitation

Marriage certificate

Purpose

To validate marital status claims

Document requirements

• This document is requested only when marital status is listed as married.
  • The marriage must be valid under the law of the country where it took place and under Canadian law.
    • A marriage performed in an embassy or consulate must comply with the law of the host country where it took place, not the country of nationality of the embassy or consulate.
  • If the applicant married in Canada, a copy of the marriage certificate issued by the province or territory where the marriage took place must be provided.
  • If the applicant married outside Canada, a copy of a legal certificate issued by the country, the territory or the region where the marriage took place must be provided.

Individuals who must submit this documentation

• The principal applicant

MaryJane
On 2016-12-05 at 6:55 AM, Qrios1 said:

Technically you do not need for adults to submit with your electronic Application.  However, you will need them further down the line when it comes to sponsoring of parents or establishing connections with siblings. Short answer is yes get them while still in SA. 

I'm grabbing someone's answer on this. It's not mandatory (except for kids and when you want to prove relations) but definitely helpful at a later stage to have it.

• Like 1

Annasofe13

We applied for our unabridged marriage certificate October 2016. When February came and we heard nothing I decided to see if someone has advice on the forum and the services of DocAssist came up a few times. I can really recommend them, less than a week from making payment I received the sms that the documents were ready for collection at the home affairs office you applied. Its a few rands, but totally worth it, saves you from having to deal with multiple people and get nowhere. 

Harry_Newforest

Should the unabridge birth certificate be certified with an apostille?

Nettie

@GerdaT and @JoannaB  Thank you for the helpful contact info. I have been waiting more than a year for unabridged birth certificates for my children. 

@Mheynes456 If I were you, I would get everything while I am in South Africa. You may need it later. 

Nettie
9 hours ago, Harry_Newforest said:

Should the unabridge birth certificate be certified with an apostille?

Found this: https://www.idocscanada.ca/apostille-authentication-and-legalization-of-canadian-documents/

"As Canada is not a signatory to the Hague Convention, it is not possible to obtain an apostille on Canadian documents. To be recognized in a foreign country, Canadian documents must be “authenticated and legalized”.

My 2c: It is a good idea to have some copies of your legal documents in SA, certified as original copies there, since it is very expensive here in Canada. 

• Like 1

Harry_Newforest

@Nettie I applied for my unabridged birth certificate Thursday I will have it certified with an apostille seal as soon as I received it. Unfortunately this can only be done at the Department of International Relations and Cooperation in Pretoria.

I have noticed the amount of planning that goes into the timing of the execution is a significant part of the immigration process.

Thanks for your help.

Nettie

@Harry_Newforest You are most welcome. :)

Chantel & Graeme Franck

Hi all just a small update...

We've managed to get assistance from Don't-Q with regards to our "forever outstanding" UBC's.

It came at a small fee but all worth it In the end! Recived an sms last Tuesday that mine is ready for collection and the contact at Don't-Q says my hubby's should follow soon! It took Don't-Q less than 14 days to expedite these, we applied for them ion 8 July 2016 took exactly 9 months and 10 days to get the sms saying that mine is ready! I'm sure we would still be waiting if not for Don't-Q.

There was no need to fill in any more paperwork or anything and they guaranteed us that if they couldn't retrieve our UBC in 14 days they'd give us a full refund!

Hopefully hubby's comes through soon so that we are done with the DHA! 

Hopefully this post will help out another person that is struggling! 

God bless and all the best in your journey to CA

• Like 2

Chantel & Graeme Franck

Was just as DHA and I have received both mine and my hubby's Unabridged Birth Certificates!  Hallelujah!

It was a long 9 month 10 day wait but thanks to Don't-Q whom took less than 14 days after paying them to expedite the application on our behalf (believe me we tried everything humanly possible on our own) and we have them in our hands.

Will refer Don't-Q to everyone - Its well worth it, both Auri and Miriam from Don't-Q were great and informative.

Whoop! Whoop!

So happy to for once have a positive thing happen :)

Edited by Chantel & Graeme Franck
added info
  • Like 4

JSP

Hi all,

Just to add - We also used Miriam from Don't-Q and they are absolutely fantastic! Don't even think twice about paying them the "Expedite Fee" ...we have been waiting for our Unabridged Birth Certificates for 5 months, with constant follow-ups via e-mails, phone calls and appointments. From the day we paid Don't-Q, we have our certificates in-hand within 3 days! Highly recommended.

You just need to make peace with the fact that this is how you "do business" in Africa :D.

Nettie

Sorry if this has already been posted, but would you please post the contact for Don't-Q or website link.

Thanks.