Sign in to follow this  
broken1

PR Application Submitted - February 2017 (Johannesburg to Toronto)

Annasofe13

@JoannaB I am with you on that one:)

Annasofe13

Medicals passed and background check in progress....super happy!

• Like 10

GerdaT

Great News!!! So happy for you guys.:D

• Like 1

Annasofe13

@GerdaT nou kan ons n klein party hou....dans skoene hou vir die wanneer ons die paspoorte terug kry:)

• Like 1

GerdaT

Verseker! Ek drink sommer vannaand al 'n cocktail!

• Like 1

QueenOfHeartsZA
8 hours ago, GerdaT said:

Just checked our CIC account, and we have Medical Passed! So grateful for the movement. :rolleyes:

Yay @GerdaT hopefully the next stage is only a month for you.

Did you get a message saying you should check or did you just decide to and it was done? Your message sounds like you checked without getting a message telling you to.

• Like 1

GerdaT

Jip, I checked on the CIC website. We are still waiting for an email...

Background check is still Not Applicable...?

• Like 1

LaurenW

I just checked and we have passed the medical exam!!! Whooohoooo! So grateful to have some feedback :)

• Like 6

AdeleDBN

@Annasofe13 and @LaurenW, so happy for both of you.  Looks like things are happening for South Africans now! Hopefully March applicants are around the corner!

• Like 2

CarelG

Medicals passed...yeah. 6 weeks 2 days. Didn't get notice from CIC, did daily (obsessive :rolleyes:) check of our profile.

• Like 7

LaurenW

Got an email at 2.30am last night saying my application had been updated. Not much to see except Background Check gone from 'not needed at this time' to 'This application in in progress. The next step is conduct a background check'. 

I guess it shows they working on the application at least. 

• Like 4

Rddm2017
On 11/04/2017 at 8:09 PM, Boptor said:

You don't need to worry about finding work in Canada.  Forget everything you think you know... That's the only way to get settled when you get here.

Finding work to survive is easy.  Finding work in your intended occupation is not... If you are a stickler and don't like change you are in for a ride :-)

Make sure you have enough money to sustain you for two months or so.  I doubt you going to find work online unless you are a tradesman... Rather start using your time getting a few types of Resume's prepared concentrating on one skill per resume.  Having 10 skills here makes you a master of none in their opinion so if you have retail focus on retail, if you have sales, focus on sales... you probably going ot have to look for jobs in supermarkets etc for the beginning.

Your most expensive costs here when making comparisons are going to be insurance and accommodation and you must pay first and last for everything your first month (cellphones, insurance, cable, internet and rental) so the first month is killer!  Dont let any landlords trick you into more than first and last month as its illegal in the state of ontario and so is a pet clause in a lease agreement.  They can decline you upfront by asking if you have pets but if they find out after you move in the law allows them no recourse...  In my mind its unlawful for them to ask in the first place if it voidable ...

Dont buy anything when you arrive!  Find everything at Goodwill and on Kijiji (like Gumtree)! 

Wev'e been here 9 months and have accomplished more than in 10 years of working in SA... sad but true...

We got work permits 25 April 2016 and left SA 04 August 2016... Sold our house and everything we owned and moved and I dont regret one minute of it now...

@Boptor I can't wait anymore. Looking forward to everything. Thank you for this message. 

Rddm2017

Congratulations to everyone I am getting exciting here and we are not even in the pool yet.

• Like 1

Nala

Since we don't seem to have a March group... I'll just tag along with Feb :P  Medical's passed!! YAY! So happy to receive a update!! :D  @QueenOfHeartsZA any news yet??

• Like 9

GerdaT

Jipppeeee! Congrats!

• Like 1

QueenOfHeartsZA
2 hours ago, Nala said:

Since we don't seem to have a March group... I'll just tag along with Feb :P  Medical's passed!! YAY! So happy to receive a update!! :D  @QueenOfHeartsZA any news yet??

@Nala We got an email to check our profile on Saturday morning. Our profile has changed to "Your application is in progress. The next step is to conduct a background check." We have not passed medicals though:-/

Edited by QueenOfHeartsZA
  • Like 3

Annasofe13

Wooooohoooooo, so happy to hear all the good news. @QueenOfHeartsZA we are all hoping for the best:)

• Like 2

Ydean Hartzenberg

Also a March applicant.

Congrats on the movements.  Hopefully they will realise our desperateness and speed up whatever it is they're doing.

AnniePotts

Update from my side: still no feedback as yet -_- Just waiting, agonising, doubting, second-guessing, hoping, praying, planning, dreaming ... in a nutshell - the usual. So basically a non-update :)

On a different topic - something that has me stressing again is: my four-year old's passport pic is slighly blurry?!  When I went back and queried it in person at the Alex Home Affairs, they were not helpful in the least, wanting to know more why I had not raised the issue when I collected the passport and offering no advice.

When I escalated the matter  I received an email saying that the picture meets the South African passport quality control standards and I should therefore have no trouble presenting it at any border control in the world, as there was nothing to rectify.

The email went on to say that if I wished, I could submit a new application and fee for a brand new passport (with no guarantee that any other passport won't have the same problem, obviously). I basically left it at that, thinking I would print a copy of the e-mail and take it along whenever we travel. 

I am now wondering if it would maybe be better to just apply for a new passport so as to avoid any hassles later.

I was worried that I had already submitted the blurred passport copy with my PR application and that there may be problems about presenting a new passport once my PR application is approved ( positive thinking). But could this not be prevented by me submitting the new passport copy via a CSE once it has been received?

Any advice?

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Tx

MaryJane

@AnniePotts I can't tell you what to do with the passport because that ultimately should be up to you.

However, if you do decide to change travel documents while your application is in progress then you are right, you just need to inform IRCC (CIC) of the change.

• Like 1

Boptor
2 hours ago, AnniePotts said:

Update from my side: still no feedback as yet -_- Just waiting, agonising, doubting, second-guessing, hoping, praying, planning, dreaming ... in a nutshell - the usual. So basically a non-update :)

On a different topic - something that has me stressing again is: my four-year old's passport pic is slighly blurry?!  When I went back and queried it in person at the Alex Home Affairs, they were not helpful in the least, wanting to know more why I had not raised the issue when I collected the passport and offering no advice.

When I escalated the matter  I received an email saying that the picture meets the South African passport quality control standards and I should therefore have no trouble presenting it at any border control in the world, as there was nothing to rectify.

The email went on to say that if I wished, I could submit a new application and fee for a brand new passport (with no guarantee that any other passport won't have the same problem, obviously). I basically left it at that, thinking I would print a copy of the e-mail and take it along whenever we travel. 

I am now wondering if it would maybe be better to just apply for a new passport so as to avoid any hassles later.

I was worried that I had already submitted the blurred passport copy with my PR application and that there may be problems about presenting a new passport once my PR application is approved ( positive thinking). But could this not be prevented by me submitting the new passport copy via a CSE once it has been received?

Any advice?

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Tx

I would get a new one.  If they query it you have it and can submit immediately.  If they don't just leave it be.

Our lawyer has had to resubmit stuff and it didnt delay things too much so dont stress.  If you dont think its up to scratch then its probably best you get a new one in the interim.

• Like 1

GerdaT

Hi all!

Just a quick question... we have now Passed our medicals and our Background check says: Your Application is in progress. The next step is to conduct a BGC.

What exactly is the next step that I should look out for? And typically how long does it take?

• Like 4

graciax452

@AnniePotts my sisters one is super blurry but she has never had any issues as you can see that it is her. If you are not comfortable redo it, but as you said it may come back even worse...

• Like 2

Nala

apologies @QueenOfHeartsZA for the late reply :) I'm sure medical's will be passed soon - will keep fingers crossed!

• Like 1

AdeleDBN

Medical Passed!!!! So relieved.  

• Like 7