Sign in to follow this  
broken1

PR Application Submitted - February 2017 (Johannesburg to Toronto)

broken1
13 hours ago, LotzofTravel said:

So I was so excited to pick up our passports at VFS this morning, and saw they swopped the two children's pictures on the COPR letters. So I was not sure if I should try and slip it through (they differs 18 months and look very alike, like sisters sometimes do)or if I will have hassles in future. So I returned it. 

Now I am devastated, They stuffed everything back into an envelope and "someone will phone me to collect." When, how long? "Not sure". 

No track and trace, nothing. Our future, that expires on 15 December 2017 in a big white envelope....

That’s super frustrating! Hopefully you’ll have it back within a few days. I’ve heard the VFS call centre is pretty good (although rude). 

• Thanks 1

LaurenW

Hi All, 

So just an update from outside.... I have been incredibly quiet on this thread since we got our PPR in June mainly because we have been running around like headless chickens trying to get everything ready for our departure tomorrow!

Yes that is right we leave tomorrow! We are settling in Windsor, Ontario as my husband has work there. We will start a landing thread and keep you all updated once we arrive. 

Good luck with the prep everyone and take my advise and give yourself enough time. When you think you have enough time, give yourself more and then you might just get it all done on time!

• Like 9

Eric N
2 minutes ago, LaurenW said:

Hi All, 

So just an update from outside.... I have been incredibly quiet on this thread since we got our PPR in June mainly because we have been running around like headless chickens trying to get everything ready for our departure tomorrow!

Yes that is right we leave tomorrow! We are settling in Windsor, Ontario as my husband has work there. We will start a landing thread and keep you all updated once we arrive. 

Good luck with the prep everyone and take my advise and give yourself enough time. When you think you have enough time, give yourself more and then you might just get it all done on time!

Hi Lauren W,I am happy for you.Please keep us updated because my intended destination is Windsor in Ontario as well.

• Like 1

GerdaT
26 minutes ago, LaurenW said:

Hi All, 

O wow! Congrats. Hope your landing goes smoothly. Please share your experience.

I can relate to the timing problem! We are fortunate in that we have 2 months from the day we finally decided to take the final leap, and climbing on the airplane. But, there are people in our town that does all that in 1 month. How do they do it?!? Anyway, hope the flight has gooooood movies!

• Like 1

Annasofe13

@LaurenW that is so exciting! Good luck, hope you have a smooth landing:)

• Like 2

broken1

@LaurenW @GerdaT What is a long time? We are 4 months out and still in the uncertain phase. House is for sale but it seems too soon to sell furniture or anything. Our cleanup is underway to get rid of junk but that’s not a big excersize. Thinking of trying to sell the cars next, and then getting new ID Cards and Driving Records. 

The point of no return is when we resign from our jobs, so I’ll probably do that and book our one way tickets & AirBNB on the same day- probably at the end of the month. Aiming for first week in January landing. 

Biggest issue is selling the house, but if it doesn’t well get family to assist on the process  

What am I missing? Thought we should go to the optometrist, dentist etc and use up our discovery medical aid while we have it. 

Just feeling a bit worried I’ve underestimated the situation here 

FaithFUL
17 hours ago, broken1 said:

What am I missing? Thought we should go to the optometrist, dentist etc and use up our discovery medical aid while we have it. 

Just feeling a bit worried I’ve underestimated the situation here 

A friend of mine that were looking at going to Aus told me about this 100 point list: http://www.sabona.com.au/articles_detail.ews?articles_detail.ewdid=199

Ignore the first bit and see if there is something that you might have missed from point 36 on wards.

• Like 1

MaryJane
21 hours ago, broken1 said:

We are 4 months out and still in the uncertain phase. House is for sale but it seems too soon to sell furniture or anything. 

4 months out is going to go by so fast.

You are right to start selling the house now, as that might take a while. Here was the general timeline we used (I used this in conjunction with a to-do list):

Jan - did medicals
Feb - got our visas
Mar - valued everything in the house; making note of big ticket items; planned landing dates + arrangements; started looking at ticket prices, etc.
Apr - booked tickets (yes, we did it way early and with a back door, er I mean, return tickets), started selling small items
May - had the house valued, started offering big ticket items to friends and family (close circle)
Jun - put house on market
Jul - start exploring professional qualification conversion; visit doctor, optometrist, dentist, gynaecologist, and some other -ist's
Aug - started putting together documentations, etc., scanning every single thing; started selling big ticket items to wider circle
Sep - hubby resigned; started packing boxes; throwing out things; sold one car
Oct - I resigned, sold second car
Nov - started handing over some big ticket items; hired a car; kids' last days in school
Dec - landed

Of course, everyone's will be different. It depends on how much you still have to do and how much time you have to work with.

Good luck though. You're on the final stretch. It's going to become a little crazier in the next few days (months). And then you land. And then you're back into the crazy on this side. ;)

• Like 1

broken1
32 minutes ago, MaryJane said:

4 months out is going to go by so fast.

You are right to start selling the house now, as that might take a while. Here was the general timeline we used (I used this in conjunction with a to-do list):

Jan - did medicals
Feb - got our visas
Mar - valued everything in the house; making note of big ticket items; planned landing dates + arrangements; started looking at ticket prices, etc.
Apr - booked tickets (yes, we did it way early and with a back door, er I mean, return tickets), started selling small items
May - had the house valued, started offering big ticket items to friends and family (close circle)
Jun - put house on market
Jul - start exploring professional qualification conversion; visit doctor, optometrist, dentist, gynaecologist, and some other -ist's
Aug - started putting together documentations, etc., scanning every single thing; started selling big ticket items to wider circle
Sep - hubby resigned; started packing boxes; throwing out things; sold one car
Oct - I resigned, sold second car
Nov - started handing over some big ticket items; hired a car; kids' last days in school
Dec - landed

Of course, everyone's will be different. It depends on how much you still have to do and how much time you have to work with.

Good luck though. You're on the final stretch. It's going to become a little crazier in the next few days (months). And then you land. And then you're back into the crazy on this side. ;)

Thanks for this! Ours will be a little backwards to yours....

We’ve put the house for sale first, then will quit jobs and book tickets, then sell cars and furniture and everything else (fire sale!). 

For me the point of no return is quitting my job, that and one way tickets will happen on the same day (probably go book tickets online and then go resign haha)

Nala
On ‎2017‎/‎08‎/‎30 at 7:02 PM, Eloff's said:

Hi Nala

Funny enough we did not receive any confirmation of them receiving our passports. I ended up phoning VFS, they requested my id number & then confirmed they have received it & the embassy is processing the visas.

Having said that my wife & I are the proud owners of Visas & Confirmation of permanent residency letters, that came today via courier. Happy days. Could not have done it without the forum and the grace from above.

Thanks for the feedback Eloff!

In the end calling them was a lot faster than waiting for a sms/email. Now just waiting anxiously for passport's return....strangely this is almost worse than waiting for the PPR! :D Good luck with all the planning!

• Like 1

Caryn

Morning All,

We are also in the same place as many of you in that we are winding down here in South Africa.  House is going on the market this week.

Besides all the stuff mentioned above, ie, selling items, getting all doctors visits done, etc. Is there anything else we should be doing ?

What I am most anxious about is what happens when you land.  I have read on the threads that you get taken to an immigration officer, how long does this process take ?  Just want to prepare myself as I have 2 young boys with me (4 and 6).

Also, what do you need to have with you when you go to the immigration officer, what documentation do we need to have with us to show / give them ?

If anyone has gone through the landing process, please let me know what to do / expect / have ready.

Also, for people with kids, did you only get them into a school once you are over there and settled ?

Thanks for all the help.

Annasofe13

@LaurenW how are things in Canada? How did the landing go?

• Like 1

broken1
15 hours ago, Caryn said:

Morning All,

We are also in the same place as many of you in that we are winding down here in South Africa.  House is going on the market this week.

Besides all the stuff mentioned above, ie, selling items, getting all doctors visits done, etc. Is there anything else we should be doing ?

What I am most anxious about is what happens when you land.  I have read on the threads that you get taken to an immigration officer, how long does this process take ?  Just want to prepare myself as I have 2 young boys with me (4 and 6).

Also, what do you need to have with you when you go to the immigration officer, what documentation do we need to have with us to show / give them ?

If anyone has gone through the landing process, please let me know what to do / expect / have ready.

Also, for people with kids, did you only get them into a school once you are over there and settled ?

Thanks for all the help.

It seems quite scary but I think it’s more the volime of things to get done, rather than the complexity. 

Two things we are doing:

1) Getting a driving record from the traffic department. It’s basically a letter stating when you got your drivers licence which makes it easier to get a licence in canada (move straight to a full licence) and with insurance rates

2) Getting am Unabridged marriage certificate just Incase? 

Locally otherwise we are selling everything in an orderly fashion to reduce us to 4-6 suitcases of stuff. 

Reference letters are apparently important, so try get a few of those (work and personal) 

For there, we are putting together a list of things to buy and starting to get prices from Walmart/ IKEA. 

For landing, you need Passports, COPR (Letter that comes with your visa) and a goods to follow list if any. We are also taking printed copies of everything (Medicals, Proof of Funds etc) as well as proof of accommodation just so we can be as prepared as possible to show we are landing and have somewhere to stay and money to survive until we find jobs. Reading threads I believe all they ask is if you have a criminal record, and the process can take 2-3 hours if the queues are long (and you apply for a sin in the airport which you can do then or later the next day)

Where and when are you planning to land?

• Like 3

Caryn

@broken1Hi, thank you so much for the info. !!!! I have been reading alot about the driving record.  From what I read it is only valid for 6 months.  Do you know where you apply for it and do you have to go in person ?  It is on my list to do Jan / Feb next year (cause of the 6 month issue).

When I applied for our one sons unabridged birth certificate I also got our unabridged marriage certificate (like you say - rather have more than less).

I want to look into the drivers license a bit more - am really not happy about having to redo my drivers :wacko:  Apparently we need to do our G1 (written test) and then this letter we get lets us bypass the G2 but we still have to do the G3 (road test).

Is there a book we can buy to study for the G1 (you know like the guys do here in SA when studying for their learners ) ?

All things going well, we are planning to land early March and will be landing in Toronto.  We are looking to rent and eventually buy in Burlington - and you ?

• Like 2

Eloff's

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help with this.

Our city of destination as per our Confirmation of Permanent residency is Calgary, is this a have to or can we enter at any port of entry i.e. Vancouver etc.

Then under Medical details next to "Surveillance code is the number 1 " what does this mean? :unsure:

Would it affect any waiting period in Canada before we can use medical services?

Thanks in advance.

MaryJane

You can land in Vancouver if you choose to.

• Like 1

Caryn

@MaryJanethank you !!! You are such a great help :rolleyes:

LotzofTravel
On 8/31/2017 at 10:20 AM, LotzofTravel said:

So I was so excited to pick up our passports at VFS this morning, and saw they swopped the two children's pictures on the COPR letters. So I was not sure if I should try and slip it through (they differs 18 months and look very alike, like sisters sometimes do)or if I will have hassles in future. So I returned it. 

Now I am devastated, They stuffed everything back into an envelope and "someone will phone me to collect." When, how long? "Not sure". 

No track and trace, nothing. Our future, that expires on 15 December 2017 in a big white envelope....

So on Friday (after two weeks waiting) we got an email that we can pick up the Passports.

My husband drove to Pretoria, and guess what , still wrong!!  Back to the White Envelope with a promise that they will phone him on Monday.

On Monday he got the promised phone call and yesterday I went back to pick it up.  Yeay!!!  All ready and correct, I was so relieved!!!  So now we have PR status at last, and can get into the more exciting arrangements!  

• Like 7

Nala

@LotzofTravel Congrats! :D :D Must be such a relief to check that one off the list! Happy planning!!

LaurenW

Hi Guys, 

Sorry for the long lapse in communication. 

We arrived on 4 September and settled in Windsor. Its been a busy time getting our lives together but it helped my husband landed with a job.

Housing- We were lucky enough to get a mortgage with 10% down with RBC under their newcomers package it works out significantly cheaper than renting

Car - We bought one car to share, Husband has gotten his G license and I am going for mine later in the month (I was a bit more nervous of this other side of the road thing). Insurance is impossible and we are paying $5000 dollars a year due to being new drivers. The buses are easy enough to navigate for the rest of it. 

PR Cards - we are still waiting for our PR cards been a bit of a nightmare to be honest. 

I also found out I am pregnant so I have been working from home for my old job in SA. Midwife care is free here even before you are on the healthcare so that has been a blessing. 

If there is anything specific you want to know just drop me a private message 

Good luck all!

• Like 5

Nala

Congrats on the pregnancy @LaurenW!!! Sounds like life in Canada is off to a great start :) 

LaurenW
1 minute ago, Nala said:

Congrats on the pregnancy @LaurenW!!! Sounds like life in Canada is off to a great start :) 

Its been a process and its still up and down with homesickness. I miss the groceries, the natural beauty of SA and the  restaurants from JHB but its probably just because we are in a very small town.... (also say goodbye to Pronutro you will find nothing like it here) The freedom and security especially with a baby on the way are very much worth it. No regrets. 

• Like 4

Annasofe13

@LaurenW congrats with the pregnancy! 

• Like 1

LaurenW

Oh I recalled something else you should definitely do before you leave South Africa. Get a copy of your transunion credit report - you cant login to the self service channels without your old SA cellphone number receiving sms's and it takes 15 working days, and massive admin for them to email you a copy if you request one via email.  This report (eventually obtained with the help of my mother in SA) helped us get a mortgage 10 days after landing and could help you with car financing or just getting your first Canadian credit card which you need for EVERYTHING here.  You old SA credit card will work in stores but wont be accepted for cellphone contracts or anything like that. Again of all the banks RBC was the most helpful with getting up set-up with credit cards ect with zero Canadian credit history. Just remind them if they don't seem to know about the newcomers package. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2