Sign in to follow this  
MouseSA

Sport in Canada

MouseSA

Hi all

i have 2 questions regarding sport over in Canada.

I am an avid golfer and am wondering if anyone here plays regularly over in Canada. How the courses, prices, etc? 

2nd. Sport in school. I have 2 daughters 3 & 6 and was wondering if they do sport in School? Was reading and found that it looks like it is more an extra thing that you do via private places and rather at school like in sport mad SA. 

What type of sports do they play in Canada? Notice all the Winter sports that we so definitely dont have over here. Was just wondering what sports your kids or yourself do over there? 

Side not on School, do they wear uniforms at the public schools or not? 

MaryJane

Sports are separate from school. At least, that is the case with my child's school. My child takes swimming lessons and we do that on Saturdays.

Ice hockey is big here and most my colleagues' children are involved in it. There's leagues and tournaments and they go travel around with their kids on weekends.

With regards school uniforms, some schools do this and others don't.

Jules

No school uniforms at public schools.

Only the Catholic schools and some of the private schools have uniforms. 

Nelline

The elementary school my son attends does offer "cross country running" club and badminton club, volleyball etc. Most organised sports are club based or community based i.e. meetings / training take place at community centre, or at facilities offered by the community centre (tennis courts etc)

At present there is a sports initiative at our local community centre where kids aged 6-12 attend a session each Saturday morning and then get exposure to new sports. They've just completed Ringette and this coming Saturday they're starting the first of 4 sessions of Rugby. After that it will be tennis. 

Golf: not sure about the rest of Canada but on PEI Golf is BIG. You can't turn around without running into a (surprisingly good) course. I've inserted a link with details on the courses available

MouseSA

Wow. Your not kidding. Just looked at 1 of them. Its beautiful. Nothing close in the Free State. :P

Well that's that box ticked. 

JeffH

I will get back to you on Golf in the summer, I am also an avid golfer. I'm bringing over my clubs on my next visit. 

From what I have seen, there are plenty of courses and most are really good. Cost wise, it seems to be 3x - 5x the SA fees for a round. Mid to high-end courses are $80-$100 for a round. About the same as a day skiing (for comparison). However, there are some places you can play for $20-$30 apparently. 

CilliersC

If you really get into skiing or snowboarding (we kinda fell in love with it after the first day) a season pass at Glen Eden sets you back around $150 incl. tax for the cheapest option.

Definitely something to look into as it saves you a lot of money in the long run!

MouseSA

Bad knees and back. Am not sure if I can go that route

Cathy K

Golf is a year round sport in southern BC and on most of Vancouver Island. We boast with at least a half a dozen courses in our vicinity.

Nettie

My experience has been that it is better to put on your Canada "thinking cap" when you think about sports. My son used to play tennis and we tried to keep it up here, but it was extremely expensive. He ended up playing soccer and basketball. My daughter played the same sports. We did downhill skiing every week during the winter, which was lovely. We were able to do this at an affordable price because we homeschooled and were able to go on Mondays. We also roller bladed in the summer and did ice skating during the winter. The ice skating we did for free because we did it on ponds and outdoor rinks. The only ice hockey my son played, was with friends outdoors because that is also an expensive sport. Both kids did water and ice safety courses, which included swimming lessons. I felt this was important because I wanted them to know about water and ice safety, since there is so much water around here. There are a lot of golf courses around town and I know the outdoor golfing season here is also very limited, compared to South Africa. Most sports for children in Ottawa are played through clubs.

M-N

I think everyone pretty much answered your questions.  Calgary has a lot of golf courses but as you can imagine it's not a winter sport.   Most schools don't offer sports but they can be played through community recreation  facilities.  Friends of mine's kids play basketball and they go skiing often.  We also have cricket here (although not big).  Softball and baseball leagues, hockey but it can become quite expensive if you join the clubs but there are more affordable clubs too.  Lacrosse is pretty big here and is a fun sport.  Usually after Hockey season.  

MouseSA

Thanx everyone. As I read up more and what you all said above I think coming from SA this must be quite a big change. 

My daughter just went to Grade 1 this year and she is doing at the school, Swimming, Tennis, Hockey (Field ^_^) and Netball. all offered by the school. 

But then I suppose you must look at the flip side of the coin, whereby we pay for school fees and it is quite high to have all these things. 

Not slamming Canada but like most parents moving over to Canada must be quite an adjustment. 

• Like 1

Jules
2 hours ago, MouseSA said:

Thanx everyone. As I read up more and what you all said above I think coming from SA this must be quite a big change. 

My daughter just went to Grade 1 this year and she is doing at the school, Swimming, Tennis, Hockey (Field ^_^) and Netball. all offered by the school. 

But then I suppose you must look at the flip side of the coin, whereby we pay for school fees and it is quite high to have all these things. 

Not slamming Canada but like most parents moving over to Canada must be quite an adjustment. 

I look at it this way: in Canada the schools focus on schooling and education. And sports clubs focus on sports. That means that when kids are at school the only focus is schooling with no peer pressure to do sports. Really if you think about it, academic education and sports are very different topics and I think SA schools sometimes blur the lines and focus too much on sports. I say let the sports clubs do sports and schools do schooling. 

• Like 4

MouseSA

I understand what you mean @Jules. Here in Bloemfontein the lines can be blurred. 

If you have a look at how canada does in sports they are up there. So what they doing seems to work quite well. Had a look today at Olympic medals (summer) from this year and the were above SA and did pretty well. 

Thanx again