Sign in to follow this  
MaryJane

Citizenship Applications 2017

MaryJane

So I'm starting this thread for the peeps applying for citizenship this year or late 2016. If you're still holding on in the process, do join in.

To date, I have not submitted our application...but soon. Slowly gathering everything together. And that almost $2k price tag is an ouch!

What is the citizenship timeline nowadays? I know CIC says it's about 12 months, but somebody with recent experience could shed more light on this. @Wolverine, was yours around 6 months?

Any tips, suggestions or words of encouragement from former applicants (now citizens) would be much appreciated. ;)

• Like 1

Wolverine
On 1/2/2017 at 6:11 PM, MaryJane said:

So I'm starting this thread for the peeps applying for citizenship this year or late 2016. If you're still holding on in the process, do join in.

To date, I have not submitted our application...but soon. Slowly gathering everything together. And that almost $2k price tag is an ouch!

What is the citizenship timeline nowadays? I know CIC says it's about 12 months, but somebody with recent experience could shed more light on this. @Wolverine, was yours around 6 months?

Any tips, suggestions or words of encouragement from former applicants (now citizens) would be much appreciated. ;)

Hi @MaryJane

Mine was very short, 3 months. Now i don't know if it's because i live in a small town like yellowknife, tough to say. i sent the application in NS, then the saskatoon office replied to me with the dates for the exams and the oath. It took about 3 weeks for to start processing my file, including the AOR.

Any tip?? well get all your stuff together - again. They will ask you for your tax return since you became PR, have them handy along with any original for the copies you will submit. I think those with less complicated issues like people who traveled in and out many times could get their applications processed faster,  i guess what i mean is the less complicated your file, the faster it could be processed.

• Like 1

Nelline

I'm hopeful that  bill C-6 which @Sideline mentioned on FB, will be passed and will undo the changes (needing 4 years out of 6)  and revert to the 3 out of 5 years rule that existed before 2014  - also that time spent on a legal WP in the country will count as 0.5 per 1 day spent. 

We came in on WP's at the beginning of 2013, and got PR Aug 2015. If the promised changes happen, that should take us close to the 3 year mark for the end of this year unless I'm totally out on my calculations? Unless (and this is something in the back of my mind) the 0.5 days out of 1 spent in Canada on a WP is capped at 1 year.

• Like 1

Sideline
2 hours ago, Nelline said:

I'm hopeful that  bill C-6 which @Sideline mentioned on FB, will be passed and will undo the changes (needing 4 years out of 6)  and revert to the 3 out of 5 years rule that existed before 2014  - also that time spent on a legal WP in the country will count as 0.5 per 1 day spent. 

We came in on WP's at the beginning of 2013, and got PR Aug 2015. If the promised changes happen, that should take us close to the 3 year mark for the end of this year unless I'm totally out on my calculations? Unless (and this is something in the back of my mind) the 0.5 days out of 1 spent in Canada on a WP is capped at 1 year.

Yes it should be passed, the only question is when. Hoping they don't wait for something stupid like Canada day (150 th) to give everyone a 'gift' :P

the 1/2 day rule will be capped at a max of 365 days allowed to be accumulated (so 2 years of WP days used to get the max 365 days) according to the latest draft being read through the senate.

For the purpose of subparagraph (1)‍(c)‍(i), the length of physical presence is calculated in the following manner:
(a) for every day during which the person was physically present in Canada as a temporary resident or pr
otected person under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act before becoming a permanent resident, the person accumulates half of a day of physical presence, up to a maximum of 365 days;

and
(b) for every day during which the person has been physically present in Canada since becoming a permanent resident, the person accumulates one day of physical presence."

It is actually fascinating to delve into the way the legal system works here. One would think its aligned with the British rule of law as Canada is basically a British colony. However it's far more aligned with the American legal process, but a bit is blended so very fascinating (well to a lawyer anyway it's fascinating :D ) 

MaryJane

Hi @Wolverine! Wow, 3 months is fast. I am debating whether to apply or wait now, as I have some "across the border" trip planned this year and I don't want to be caught off-guard mid-application.

@Nelline, @Sideline - I totally agree. The bill looks set. It might happen around mid-year, which is when most things immigration and citizenship happen :P Frankly, sometimes I dread approaching that pre-June period. When I applied for immigration, the rules changed in June. And then every year after that, immigration rules came out around the second quarter of the year. The year I was set to apply for citizenship, new bill took effect in (you guessed it) June.

Anyway, onwards with the gathering of the documents....

Wolverine
21 hours ago, MaryJane said:

Hi @Wolverine! Wow, 3 months is fast. I am debating whether to apply or wait now, as I have some "across the border" trip planned this year and I don't want to be caught off-guard mid-application.

@Nelline, @Sideline - I totally agree. The bill looks set. It might happen around mid-year, which is when most things immigration and citizenship happen :P Frankly, sometimes I dread approaching that pre-June period. When I applied for immigration, the rules changed in June. And then every year after that, immigration rules came out around the second quarter of the year. The year I was set to apply for citizenship, new bill took effect in (you guessed it) June.

Anyway, onwards with the gathering of the documents....

Nothing stops you from applying. Once your application is gone and processing starts, it means you have met your requirements and are now free to move in and out. They do not take your passport and the days spent outside after your application has been received do not count against you.

On the other topic, yes immigration laws usually happen around june-ish, but i do not see how it would make any difference in your specific case. My guess is, if the process changes back to 3 years, there will be even more applications to process and the timelines would be longer again.

My advice, just do it and be free.

• Like 1

MaryJane

Thanks for the feedback and tips.

The changes in the rules will definitely no longer affect my application. I have fulfilled the required residency requirement regardless if it's 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 6.

I get what you say about getting hit with the backlog if the rules change so rather act now. My worry is that I become a citizen and then I have to go on my trip and I cannot because I'm waiting for my Canadian passport to be issued. The rules about Canadian dual citizens have taken effect with regards showing your Canadian passport when you enter Canada. So that's a bit of dilemma if I get citizenship and I don't get the passport in time before I leave.

Anyway, I suppose if I do it early enough, maybe it's doable. I am still weighing it all in. The timeline seems to have shrunk. I saw on the other forum that it is down to 3-4 months for people who've applied in Sep 2016 onwards.

Freddy
On 1/5/2017 at 8:48 PM, Wolverine said:

Nothing stops you from applying. Once your application is gone and processing starts, it means you have met your requirements and are now free to move in and out. They do not take your passport and the days spent outside after your application has been received do not count against you.

On the other topic, yes immigration laws usually happen around june-ish, but i do not see how it would make any difference in your specific case. My guess is, if the process changes back to 3 years, there will be even more applications to process and the timelines would be longer again.

My advice, just do it and be free.

Wow...@Wolverine....3 months for citizenship application? Congratulation buddy. Did you include all tax returns in your application? do they require proof?

Nelline
1 hour ago, Freddy said:

Wow...@Wolverine....3 months for citizenship application? Congratulation buddy. Did you include all tax returns in your application? do they require proof?

You need to include all tax returns since becoming PR I believe. 

Wolverine
6 hours ago, Nelline said:

You need to include all tax returns since becoming PR I believe. 

@Freddy, @Nelline

I did not include the tax returns in the application for citizienship, i was just told to bring them the day of the exam (along with other originals). These documents were to be checked after the exam. Like i said initially, after the test, we all waited outside for 10 mn or so after the last candidate finished writing the exam. Then they called us one by one (in my case they called my wife and i together cos it's one file though 2 different paper applications) and they checked all the documents against what they already have. They got all the tax returns from CRA, all the travels in and out from CBSA etc.... and the lady was asking a few questions, like for how long have you been in this city, where are you working, just to check your knowledge of english and to kill the time while she was checking the docs. It was really smooth and relax.

• Like 2

Wolverine
9 hours ago, Freddy said:

Thanks @Freddy buddy.

Hennie vdB

@MaryJane, I submitted on 3 Jan 2017 (from Calgary), and while I was still figuring out how to check the progress online, on 23 Feb we received the instructions to go write the test on 23 March. I'm wondering if the number of people holding back waiting for the bill to be passed, has created a temporary shortage in the processing chambers, but regardless of the reason, I am overjoyed.

One good tip someone gave me for the application is to provide proper documents for proof of English, in case some of your family does not have IELTS or similar. E.g. our son only completed 2 years in a Canadian school, so I also included his IGCSE diploma from the British School he attended. Apparently they look for 4 years of schooling in English, even though the form only asks for "Completed secondary qualification"

And if you need to travel quickly, you can apply for emergency passports immediately after. A friend did that. At a price, of course, but it can be done.

Get 'er done!

OutOfSa

3 Months for notice to write the test, no mention of ceremony.

Not wanting to be a downer @Nellie but when they reverse that time decision, the flood gates will open and the timeline is like to go exponential as in longer... because a zillon people suddenly qualify.

Probably find it's quick now as they got a huge breather when the time jumped to 4 years, the applications would have dropped significantly. Perhaps that was a smart (sneaky) way for the conservatives to reduce the waiting times...

Anybody that's hanging on should get in there before the bill reduces the time - in my humble opinion ;)

Stefan

I just sent off my citizenship application, the tracking number on the package doesn't even show delivered yet.  I qualified in Feb, but have been karfoefelling around, dragging my feet about the metaphorical implications of all this.  Whatever, now I am determined to put down firmer roots and become a citizen.

MaryJane

@Freddy, have you written the test? How're things going?

MaryJane

@Stefan, let me know how it goes and where in Mississauga you go for the tests and stuff. I hope to not be too far behind. :)

Freddy

Still waiting.....Winnipeg seem to be slow. Our application has been in progress since the beginning of March. How far with you @MaryJane

MaryJane

Not very far I fear. My feet are in the mud. :lol:

We've decided to do it around June. Family ain't complete at the moment. Too many people planning overseas trips that don't include me. <_<

Stefan

@MaryJane, I will let you know.  All I have so far is the Canada Post tracking confirmation that it was signed for in Sydney N.S.  It's just me applying, the wife and kids are locals,  so I have less baggage!  :|

• Like 1

Stefan

Well, they've acknowledged receipt (in an email 2 weeks after sending my paper application) and I have started reading the "Discover Canada" study guide as an ebook.

• Like 2

CarelG

Finally....it took for ages in Senate with very silly amendments to change single words. I was actually listening to a few debates on live feed, but gave up quite quickly and defeated :) 

Edited by CallieMarie

MaryJane

I am going for my photos soon and then after that, it's just fee payment that's standing in my way before I send off my application.

I wonder if Bill C-6 will pass before my intended submission date? Hubby heard that there's a reduction to the citizenship fee and got all excited, told me to wait it out. It's a face-off between C-6 and me. :boxing::lol:

Hope this prediction from Senator Jaffer comes true. It shouldn't be long then.

@Freddy, @Stefan - any news at your end? @Hennie Calgary - oath taking all done and dusted I hope?

• Like 2

Freddy

@MaryJane nothing from Winnipeg. I called CIC and they told me our application is perfect that we just need to be patient. So...I have to practice my I preach :lol:

• Like 1