CarinGHT

Biologist and related fields

CarinGHT

Dear Forum Members

We are considering Canada as an option once I am finished up with my studies. I am currently working as a biodiversity officer within a provincial government department. I have 10 years' experience in permitting wild fauna and flora, biodiversity policy development etc. I am also close to finishing up a PhD in Ecology (focusing on botany/conservation biology).

Are there any biologists out there with good and/or bad experiences with regards to finding a job in this field in Canada (once they have received their PR status)? The environment/legislation is so vastly different to SA.

I also have over 10 years' GIS experience at the expert level where I use various GIS programs for habitat modelling/image processing etc. I am guessing that I should focus on looking for GIS jobs rather than a job as a wildlife biologist as I may be able to transfer my GIS skills rather than my SA experience in species identification/legislative/biodiversity issues relevant only in the South African context.

Has anyone tried applying for a job as a biologist from SA before receiving PR status or would this be a futile effort? Any feedback regarding experiences in searching for a biologist/GIS jobs in Canada in would be greatly appreciated.

We have started applying for passports, the IELTS test and WES conversions are the next step so still in the very early stages of eventually registering an Express Entry profile.

Thanks

pretor

Your best bet would be consulting companies.  I'm a chemist but working in the environmental field.  I have quite a few colleagues who're working in the area of biodiversity and environmental monitoring.  Drop me a PM and we can chat some more.

K&U

HI Pretor and CarinGHT,

I also work in the environmental field and am looking at going over. 

I have an MSc and quite a few years experience in environmental management, some monitoring, assessment, etc.

I have applied for a few jobs in Canada (but no luck yet). 

We are in the EE pool, but points are just below where they are currently drawing.

Thanks

Uli

K&U

@pretor where are you based? We are heading to the Maritimes. Do you perhaps have any contacts that side?

@CarinGHT and progress on your side?

CarinGHT

Hi, our EE points are quite low. My partner hasn't his IELTS test results yet so haven't put it into my profile. Trying to up our points but doing it slowly. No ITA yet. Good luck with finding something. Keep us posted.

pretor
On 10/5/2017 at 10:43 PM, K&U said:

@pretor where are you based? We are heading to the Maritimes. Do you perhaps have any contacts that side?

@CarinGHT and progress on your side?

K&U, I'm in Edmonton.

• Like 1

Wolverine

the Environmental field is quite big and diverse here. i'm a hydrogeologist and was based in AB, now in the NWT.

In AB, the environmental field took a hit with the declining oil prices. Elsewhere, i'm not sure.

However, i think that chances of being employed in the Env field are greater in provinces with mines.

• Like 1

K&U

Thanks @Wolverine - not sure I like the idea of being involved with the mining sector though....I know beggars should not be choosers, but I am just not a fan of that field

@pretor - I am actually looking at a job advert for Edmonton right now :-) Lets see if I manage to change my CV into a resume that gets noticed there!

I know Edmonton, the City itself, does some amazing work! I have been in touch with one of the guys from the municipality there. Will also reach out there, once things start moving.

• Like 1

CarinGHT

Thanks for the info @Wolverine

@K&U I am more in the biodiversity conservation/species at risk field myself but would happy with anything in the environmental field.

There was a really good post on Quora Digest re: getting your CV Canada ready and looking for employment. I really like the way he set up his resume and webpage.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-get-a-job-in-Canada

https://www.quora.com/How-easy-is-it-to-get-a-job-in-Canada

• Like 1

K&U

Thanks for the links @CarinGHT!

I will rework my resume again during the next week or so and will then try and find someone that can comment on it. I know one or two people in Canada that might be able to assist, otherwise maybe people on he forum hat are a bit further in the resume development.....

MuggleOnline

Hi,

I know this is a biologist thread, but are there any Chemists out there? Hubby and I are both Chemists (with PhDs in Chemistry) and are starting to look for jobs in the field. It seems like Toronto is where most of the industry jobs are - but this is just from looking at Indeed.ca.

Does anyone have any advice for getting Science jobs in Canada? Hubby has Canadian Experience (he post-doc'ed at McGill for 2 years) but I am fresh out of my PhD.