Sign in to follow this  
Druce

What have we been up to lately?

Druce

Hi @Cherine, we live in Sage Creek, it is on the east side of the city +- 25 minutes drive from you.

I have sent you a personal message, I am sure you will figure out the forum sooner than later :lol:

• Like 1

Cherine

Let me know if u want to meet.

Druce

Hi @Cherine, I have sent you a personal message with my contact details. Click on the right hand upper "envelope" of the screen to read it. If you are unable to get it send me an e-mail andre_d_t@hotmail.com and I will send you my contact details, it would be nice to meet up!

Druce

I wanted to post an update to mark our one month here in Winnipeg but (and there is always a but) we got busy...and sidetracked :holy:

Please note that this post is probably what most people on the forum have said before or just some of my experiences. It is not going to rock your world or turn water into vanilla milkshake (for now). So if the aforementioned is what you are looking for this one might not be for youB)

My interview on 28 December 2016 went great and I was phoned for a second interview which took place on 5 January 2017. A couple of days later I was contacted for the third meeting on 13 January where I got offered the job. Exactly one month after we landed, WHOOP WHOOP, back to the grinding stone:cowboy:

I was in Automotive Sales Management in South Africa and I decided to shoot a little lower and start with Automotive Sales. I couldn't imagine myself managing other people in an environment where I have not done the work myself. This might not be the case for all occupations, I don't think a doctor should become a nurse when they land in Canada but this this makes the most sense for my career plan. It might also be true for other occupations as well, I think? I must admit, doing some of the SOPA courses really helped a lot. The Job Search Skills Canadian Workplace and Soft Skills courses helped me succeed in finding, applying and landing this job. I would recommend anyone relocating to Canada to make use of the free (yes, you heard right, FREE) service. Even if you already have a job when you come over, it will still benefit you. The workplace culture and Canadians (and I am not generalizing here) tend to be different from what we are used to in SA. Just a hint, use it, don't use it, it is free, and we all know what free stuff does, it makes the world go round.

Oh, and talking about free, I downloaded this app called Flipp - great tool for anyone buying anything in Canada. While we are not used to coupons and flyers and things like that, it is BIG here. So while I don't intend to become a couponner (if that is even a term), I do like opening the app, scanning the coupons I intend on using that we get in the mail (recycling the paper), looking whats on sale and using the discounts and free stuff. Whenever you are at the checkout you just show it to the cashier and they will scan it right from your phone. Makes the whole coupon thing a little less weirder than showing up with little paper snips and fliers at the cashier. Once again, use it, don't use it, free stuff...

Our household items which we sent with AGS Frasers arrived yesterday. Only 2 decorative pieces broke and we just stuck them back together with glue, no sweat. I would strong recommend NOT using them though, PM me if really want to know, and want to put me through the hell of typing it all again. Mind you, just pop me your e-mail and I will send you all our correspondence mails containing all of the evidence, I can't be bothered with them anymore.

Other things that we have been or are busy with:

I passed my written drivers license and road test and now have my Class 5 Full Manitoba Driver License - We went ice skating (which is free if you have skates, free stuff;)) - We went through the automated car wash (not free though) a couple of times, does anyone else enjoy this so much or is it just me and my daughter? Pretty close to entertainment I tell you! - My wife bought secondhand furniture on kijiji and painted it...wait for it.... blue...and it came out beautiful! I must admit, I was a little blue when I first heard the color choice, now...not that much - My wife is off to buy some new living room couches tomorrow and I am off buying a car for her seeing that we will now need more than one vehicle when I start working (tough one on the salesman selling a salesman something) - We spent time with precious family - I went snowmobiling on the Red River, amazing! Went to see the Jests play Hockey on New Years eve, also amazing - I made a biltong box and hung my first batch this morning, will post some pictures and the recipe I used (all Canadian items) if it is a hit - Snow shoveling, its a free workout (one of the not so nice freebies here in Winnipeg) - drove my daughter to school in a mild blizzard, white out, and experienced -44 - today was 0 at some stage and the forecast for tomorrow is +4. There is even a forecast for rain over the weekend. Oh I can just imagine the mud slush aftermath already! Guess we will have to go to that car wash again:ilikeit:. But the heat is great, for a change, planning on a braai for Friday!

One thing is for sure, we have been blessed beyond our wildest imaginations with all of the above and we are tremendously grateful. It does feel unreal sometimes, but then I just step outside and the fresh, cold Manitoba winter air make me gasp, just a little, and I know it is real :lol:

This is all I can recall at this moment in time and congratulations if you have read this far (the force of endurance is strong with you!)

If anyone has any comments or concerns, fire away! 

Edited by Druce
grammer
  • Like 12

Cherine

Let me know if u want to meet.You have done amazingly well. Wow!! Glad everything is working out, it's a wonderful place.?

collgav
On 1/19/2017 at 5:57 AM, Druce said:

I wanted to post an update to mark our one month here in Winnipeg but (and there is always a but) we got busy...and sidetracked :holy:

Please note that this post is probably what most people on the forum have said before or just some of my experiences. It is not going to rock your world or turn water into vanilla milkshake (for now). So if the aforementioned is what you are looking for this one might not be for youB)

My interview on 28 December 2016 went great and I was phoned for a second interview which took place on 5 January 2017. A couple of days later I was contacted for the third meeting on 13 January where I got offered the job. Exactly one month after we landed, WHOOP WHOOP, back to the grinding stone:cowboy:

I was in Automotive Sales Management in South Africa and I decided to shoot a little lower and start with Automotive Sales. I couldn't imagine myself managing other people in an environment where I have not done the work myself. This might not be the case for all occupations, I don't think a doctor should become a nurse when they land in Canada but this this makes the most sense for my career plan. It might also be true for other occupations as well, I think? I must admit, doing some of the SOPA courses really helped a lot. The Job Search Skills Canadian Workplace and Soft Skills courses helped me succeed in finding, applying and landing this job. I would recommend anyone relocating to Canada to make use of the free (yes, you heard right, FREE) service. Even if you already have a job when you come over, it will still benefit you. The workplace culture and Canadians (and I am not generalizing here) tend to be different from what we are used to in SA. Just a hint, use it, don't use it, it is free, and we all know what free stuff does, it makes the world go round.

Oh, and talking about free, I downloaded this app called Flipp - great tool for anyone buying anything in Canada. While we are not used to coupons and flyers and things like that, it is BIG here. So while I don't intend to become a couponner (if that is even a term), I do like opening the app, scanning the coupons I intend on using that we get in the mail (recycling the paper), looking whats on sale and using the discounts and free stuff. Whenever you are at the checkout you just show it to the cashier and they will scan it right from your phone. Makes the whole coupon thing a little less weirder than showing up with little paper snips and fliers at the cashier. Once again, use it, don't use it, free stuff...

Our household items which we sent with AGS Frasers arrived yesterday. Only 2 decorative pieces broke and we just stuck them back together with glue, no sweat. I would strong recommend NOT using them though, PM me if really want to know, and want to put me through the hell of typing it all again. Mind you, just pop me your e-mail and I will send you all our correspondence mails containing all of the evidence, I can't be bothered with them anymore.

Other things that we have been or are busy with:

I passed my written drivers license and road test and now have my Class 5 Full Manitoba Driver License - We went ice skating (which is free if you have skates, free stuff;)) - We went through the automated car wash (not free though) a couple of times, does anyone else enjoy this so much or is it just me and my daughter? Pretty close to entertainment I tell you! - My wife bought secondhand furniture on kijiji and painted it...wait for it.... blue...and it came out beautiful! I must admit, I was a little blue when I first heard the color choice, now...not that much - My wife is off to buy some new living room couches tomorrow and I am off buying a car for her seeing that we will now need more than one vehicle when I start working (tough one on the salesman selling a salesman something) - We spent time with precious family - I went snowmobiling on the Red River, amazing! Went to see the Jests play Hockey on New Years eve, also amazing - I made a biltong box and hung my first batch this morning, will post some pictures and the recipe I used (all Canadian items) if it is a hit - Snow shoveling, its a free workout (one of the not so nice freebies here in Winnipeg) - drove my daughter to school in a mild blizzard, white out, and experienced -44 - today was 0 at some stage and the forecast for tomorrow is +4. There is even a forecast for rain over the weekend. Oh I can just imagine the mud slush aftermath already! Guess we will have to go to that car wash again:ilikeit:. But the heat is great, for a change, planning on a braai for Friday!

One thing is for sure, we have been blessed beyond our wildest imaginations with all of the above and we are tremendously grateful. It does feel unreal sometimes, but then I just step outside and the fresh, cold Manitoba winter air make me gasp, just a little, and I know it is real :lol:

This is all I can recall at this moment in time and congratulations if you have read this far (the force of endurance is strong with you!)

If anyone has any comments or concerns, fire away! 

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Druce.:ilikeit: I have not been on the forum for a long while and see that you have already landed in Canada!! And you have a job already. Well done!!!! Wishing you and your family all the best in this new season of your lives. Thank you for sharing your experiences and hints and tips :ilikeit: Enjoy!!! :cowboy: Looking forward to our turn :)

• Like 1

collgav

On 1/19/2017 at 5:57 AM, Druce said:

We went through the automated car wash (not free though) a couple of times, does anyone else enjoy this so much or is it just me and my daughter? Pretty close to entertainment I tell you!

I haven't been through one of these in many years but I do always remember as a child, finding it very exciting. I would pretend we were in a huge vicious rain storm. I reckon I could still find it entertaining now at this age too :D So you and your daughter are not alone!!;)

• Like 1

Druce

First of all, my apologies to my fellow forumites for being inactive for so long. My oh my, time does not wait for anyone!

Where to begin...

The weather finally stopped flirting with us towards the end of March and all the snow has melted. Most of the days now range from -2 +14 degrees celsius. The sun rises at 6am and sets at 8pm which is great! It suddenly feels as if the day is long enough, just wish some mornings that the night could somehow have stretch an extra 2 hours. Yup, just realized that makes no sense at all:lol:

I love working at Birchwood Honda on Regent as a product advisor (car salesman). I get to meet new people every day from all walks of life. Canada is such a multi cultural and diverse country and we are all (well, most of us) proud of that. We are mixed bag of employees ranging from East Asia (India, Bangladesh), lots of Filipinos (some born in Canada and some recently immigrated), Africans (Ivory Coast & South Africa, just me) and Canadians. It is entertaining when everyone makes fun of everyone's accents and try to imitate each other. East Asians trying to do mine is the funniest, imagine Bollywood Arnold Schwarzenegger B). The money is not the best but the experience gained here will be priceless for years to come.

Our daughter enjoys school, have made friends in our neighborhood, biked around the block to her cousins house alone and spends time biking around their cul-de-sac and driveway, fearless. My wife goes for walks through the residential area to the outskirts and then on walking trails (with our dog, Bella), fearless. It is a privilege to live this life! 

There is so much to tell and not enough time tonight. In short, we are still ecstatic to be here, look forward to opening our eyes each morning with the optimism of new opportunities and experiences waiting at our front door!

To be continued...  

• Like 12

Annasofe13

@Druce thank you for the share, I can't wait until we get to Canada. Enjoy every moment:)

• Like 1

collgav

@Druce it sounds wonderful. Feeling quite jealous ;) We can't wait to get there. We're starting to get very impatient. Hopefully not much longer now!!:)Thank you for sharing your experiences. Enjoy this new season in your lives!!! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Painter lady

Thanks for keeping us updated on your journey @Druce. It's heartwarming to hear you guys are doing well! Enjoy every moment, you deserve it.

• Like 2

AdeleDBN

Cannot wait to live fearless.  Thank you for the share

• Like 4

Nettie

@Druce  You are going to enjoy May so much. Everything just pops with colour!

Looking forward to read the rest of your adventure! 

• Like 3

Annasofe13

@Druce how are things in Canada?

• Like 1

Freddy
On 4/6/2017 at 11:36 PM, Druce said:

First of all, my apologies to my fellow forumites for being inactive for so long. My oh my, time does not wait for anyone!

Where to begin...

The weather finally stopped flirting with us towards the end of March and all the snow has melted. Most of the days now range from -2 +14 degrees celsius. The sun rises at 6am and sets at 8pm which is great! It suddenly feels as if the day is long enough, just wish some mornings that the night could somehow have stretch an extra 2 hours. Yup, just realized that makes no sense at all:lol:

I love working at Birchwood Honda on Regent as a product advisor (car salesman). I get to meet new people every day from all walks of life. Canada is such a multi cultural and diverse country and we are all (well, most of us) proud of that. We are mixed bag of employees ranging from East Asia (India, Bangladesh), lots of Filipinos (some born in Canada and some recently immigrated), Africans (Ivory Coast & South Africa, just me) and Canadians. It is entertaining when everyone makes fun of everyone's accents and try to imitate each other. East Asians trying to do mine is the funniest, imagine Bollywood Arnold Schwarzenegger B). The money is not the best but the experience gained here will be priceless for years to come.

Our daughter enjoys school, have made friends in our neighborhood, biked around the block to her cousins house alone and spends time biking around their cul-de-sac and driveway, fearless. My wife goes for walks through the residential area to the outskirts and then on walking trails (with our dog, Bella), fearless. It is a privilege to live this life! 

There is so much to tell and not enough time tonight. In short, we are still ecstatic to be here, look forward to opening our eyes each morning with the optimism of new opportunities and experiences waiting at our front door!

To be continued...  

@Druce I'm glad you're enjoying it. Life is what you make out of it. I love @Wolverine views, saying "What you lose in Africa, you gain here, and what you have in Africa, you lose it here, that's just the way life is". Almost 5 years in Winnipeg, all I can say is that God has been faithful to me and my family, even when I'm not, to which I'm very grateful.

Currently out in Cincinnati but will give you a short once I'm in Winnipeg next week. PM your number please.

God bless and keep you.

• Like 1

Rddm2017

@Druce thanks for sharing. Had a few giggles when reading this. Just makes the waiting process worth the while. 

• Like 1

Druce

Firstly I would like to apologize for starting most of my posts by apologizing for not posting often. Secondly, I would like to apologize for not posting as often as I should. Everyone on this forum has been of so much help in the past. sacanada was my place of refuge before arriving in Canada. I was on here multiple times a day, sometimes venting, sometimes trying to give advice and sometimes just being the virtual shoulder to cry on for fellow forumites. A wise man tried to explain a concept to me when we visited Canada in 2012. This wise man tried to explain to me that there is so much to do (work and leisure) here in Canada that you have to prioritize everything. And, if you are fitting a new hobby/sport/extra work/volunteering/social event in to your life everything else on that list moves down one spot. I did not think much of this idea at that time but when you live in Canada, you will relate. Time is precious here and you have to spend it wisely. That being said, I usually receive an alert if someone sent me a message but if you need to get hold of me in a rush just send me an e-mail andre_d_t@hotmail.com and I will respond as soon as possible.

Right, with that off my chest I am ready to give some feedback that will hopefully fill some of the gaps since my last post. 

Weather, the hot topic (sometimes not that hot) on everyone's lips here in Canada. Summer has come and gone, fast but oh so good. We had days from 33-20 degrees celcius all the time. Visited stunning places, Grand Beach, Gimli, Hekla and some other ones I cant remember right now. The cabin life is a big thing here in summer and I get why. When you ask people what their plans are for the weekend you will often get the same answer, "we are going to the cabin/lake". Now, summer has officially ended and we have had a few days where the lows were 7-9 but most days are still great. Sun comes up at 7am and sets at 7:30 pm so the days are still nice and long.

My innings at Birchwood Honda ended in June. I still had some left in me but an opportunity at Xerox opened up and I gladly made the move. Wow, what a great company to work for. The people are great, everyone still loves my accent, honestly, I don't know why. Better hours, I have the weekends to myself, and by myself, I am actually referring to my wife and daughter;). I have taken up a business to business sales role as Services and Solutions Executive. And no, I am not only selling copiers, Xerox is changing the way everyone works and I am so excited to be a part of this, it is much bigger than copiers, but yes, I still sell them as well.

We miss family and friends, as anticipated when we made the decision to come here. Some days are good and some not so good. It's true, you never know what you have until you don't have it anymore. Luckily we are fortunate that my in-laws will be visiting for the festive season and we will probably visit SA next year or the year after.

"En met die vrou en kind?" like they will ask in SA, everything is going great. School started in September after the LONG holiday, sheesh. My daughter just loves school so that's a good thing. She has picked up some of the Canadian accents and now we have a little Afrikaanse Cannuck in the house:D And the Mrs? Well, what can I say other than, she is busy. Watch this space, I expect big things from this talented lady in the near future. Cant reveal anything now, but hopefully, in the near future, I can tell you guys a little more.

I have so many blessing and stories that I want to share but like I said, time is of the essence. There are abundant opportunities to live a fulfilling and prosperous life here in Canada. You just have to have an open mindset and embrace the opportunities. Put up your hands in the air and shout, "I am a YES man/woman!". Say YES, get out of your house, meet new people, play, laugh, explore and be grateful for what this amazing country has to offer you and what you can offer Canada. 

PS - don't hesitate to comment or ask questions.

Edited by Druce
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Druce

Just a quick update and confirmation that I am still alive to all of my fellow forumites!

We are still well and living life to fullest. I am still employed at Xerox and have been tremendously blessed to gain great experience and make life long friends here. 

I will do a more detailed post later in the week if anyone is still interested in our journey 😋

My advice and word of encouragement to all still in the process: Keep your hopes up, believe and do not let go of your dreams, dreams still come true! 

Jules

Druce you forgot to apologize for not providing regular updates. LOL

🤪

Druce

HaHa Jules, I have been advised that I apologize way too much, even for a Canadian 😉 

I feel guilty for not being as active as I used to be but like I said, life sometimes gets in the way!