Sign in to follow this  
Druce

What have we been up to lately?

Recommended Posts

Druce

I have decided to start this thread for everyone interested in what we have been up to lately and what our plans for the near future are. Its nothing new compared to what our other forumites go through in the process, so if you are looking for a life changing post, this might not be the one;)

After we went to pick up our passports with COPR letters at the VFS  offices on 28 September 2016 we have been running around like headless chickens. Make that headless chickens, but with the emotions.

Where to begin, what to do, do we wait until next year or do we grab this one by the horns and ride it like we own it? Y'all know what we decided:cowboy:. The sight was set on mid December 2016. We decided on mid December so that we will begin our new journey with the festive season in Canada, why not? Yes, we could have spent Christmas here with family and friends, prolonging the goodbyes and the ride on the emotional roller-coaster...I think not!

Winter is coming (for John Snow)...for us, Winter is not coming...we are going to Winterpeg:boxing::santa::clown:

I made an appointment with the owner of the company I am working for and resigned the afternoon on 28 September 2016 (same day we collected our passports), giving them 2 months notice (end November) to find a suitable candidate. I imagined for so long that I would feel ecstatic after resigning but that was not the case. It felt odd, maybe it was because the idea of relocating to Canad had not yet sunk in or maybe it was because I knew I will be unemployed in 2 months time.

Next in line was my wife's business (a successful gift and jewelry shop) that needed to be sold. This nut was a bit harder to crack than me resigning. None the less, we cracked it in just under a month. And yes, the emotions with this one was much higher than the emotions with me resigning. A business built from scratch in 8 not-so-easy years was not-so-easy to let go.

Most of our funds cleared and became liquid to transfer to our RBC account when the Rand flexed it muscles and we got a decent rate, R10.12 per c$1 if I remember correctly.

So, with the big concerns dealt with we could finally book our flight tickets and make arrangements for our dog to tag along. Easier said than done. Booking the tickets for myself, my wife and our daughter (Lufthansa, landing 13 December) was a breeze, the arrangements for the dog, ehhhhhh, not so much. Bella is a 1.5 year old Dushound/Yorky Crossbreed, weighing in at a mere 3.9kg with an astonishing length of 55cm and height of 28cm (sounds like I am promoting her at a boxing match). Send me a message if want more information on this issue, it is too long to elaborate on and bore everyone reading this. Long story short, we had to appoint an agent in Toronto as well. Dog, sorted.

We sold the bulk of our household to friends and family at fairly cheap prices on condition that they only collect the items we use daily on 9-10 December. We made a WhatsApp group, posted photos and prices and viola, sold everything. We sold our vehicle on the same condition but the buyer must settle the vehicle on the 1st of December which he agreed to.

We wanted to take over a container but soon realized that it is way too expensive and that we do not even have half a container of items we really wanted to take over. We also dont want to go for the shared container option and wait for forever. We have kept the items that we want to take to a minimum now which include +-10 painting, one chair, small decorative pieces, additional clothes, etc. Guessing it will be +-350kg and 6-8 m2 . We will get quotations from Execu Move, U bag It and Excess Baggage to compare. 

Our family in Winnipeg has bought an investment property there which we will be renting and we also have a vehicle at our disposal for the first couple of months. So this is in place too.

And that's that, I think:blink:. We have been tremendously blessed with everything falling into place like this:holy:.

Please spill the beans if you guys can think of any obstacles that I am missing or issues I am leaving unattended and dont mind asking questions!

 

 

 

 

Edited by Druce
spelling
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Painter lady

Wow @Druce, your plans are really coming together nicely! You are truly blessed. Please explain the "had to get an agent in Toronto too" part... you lost me there. 

Ps: congrats on your birthday yesterday !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graciax452

Wow indeed @Druce Congrats on getting everything sorted :) Happy belated Birthday!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Druce

Thank you @graciax452 & @Painter lady

@Painter lady, we had to get an agent in Toronto to deal with our dog, Bella. Our final destination is Winnipeg but the dog needs to be checked out in Toronto and checked back in on the next flight to Winnipeg. There are no direct flights for animals to Winnipeg. Air Canada does not allow dogs lighter than 5kg during the month of December to be checked in as live luggage or cargo (too cold). The dog is also too big to be checked in as hand luggage. So the alternative is to check the dog in with Air Canada Cargo but they are not situated in the airport. With this option we would have to rent a cab, check the dog in, rush back to the airport to catch our flight and I could just imagine this would have been a disaster. So we went back and forth with this issue and our last option was to get an agent to do it and yes, it is expensive at c$875 and this includes them checking the dog out, doing all of the paper work at customs, overnight stay for the dog and flight for the next day.

I hope this clears things up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Painter lady

It sounds like a logistic nightmare! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myusuf

Congrats ...all of us envious...

How did you get a job there...pls give us tips

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Druce

It was @Painter lady, until we decided to make use of the agent there, saved me a load of logistical hoohaa!

Hi @Myusuf, we went for a lsd trip December 2012 and I had some "information sessions" with possible employers. None of them were willing to give me a job offer in writing and said I must contact them once I have landed I can legally work. So, unfortunately, I do not have a job there, but I am positive I will land one in the first couple of months.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zandekock

Happy belated birthday @Druce all the Lords richest blessings :) please do keep journaling, really appreciate your time to write it down

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Druce

Thank you @zandekock for your kind words and blessings, it is highly appreciated! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FaithFUL

Wow, you've been busy!

Looks like you'll have a soft landing with accommodation & vehicle already sorted. Enjoy the last few weeks here.

With regards to selling your wife's business, did you use an agent or did you wing it yourself?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Druce

Hi @WannaB Expat, we work towards that soft landing and we are trying our best to enjoy the last couple of weeks.

My better half and I sold the business by our self's, we did not make use of an agent. PM me if you need more specifics regarding this, I will be happy to share our experience and some detail with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shado

All the best on your move!

Can I ask how much would be roughly to take a small dog with you to Canada?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelline
6 hours ago, Shado said:

All the best on your move!

Can I ask how much would be roughly to take a small dog with you to Canada?

 

There are some great threads on travelling with animals @Shado and I believe many of them mention various fees and costs involved but the answer to your question would be how long is a piece of string? If you're prepared to do the research and legwork and paperwork yourself, and can persuade KLM to book the animal in as "excess baggage (I believe the only allow this when flying from Cape Town but someone else can confirm) you can save a LOT of money. Working through an animal travel company and booking the animal in as "live cargo" is certainly the "easier" option but much more expensive. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Druce

Thank you @Shado, the quotation from SA to Toronto was +-R11000 and the quotation from Toronto to Winnipeg was c$875.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shado
2 hours ago, Druce said:

Thank you @Shado, the quotation from SA to Toronto was +-R11000 and the quotation from Toronto to Winnipeg was c$875.

Thank you. That's a lot... :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Druce

I thought it would be a good time to post an update of our journey so far as a lot has happened since my last post...not just because @Qrios1 started "Where are they now" :lol:

We landed in Winnipeg 13 December 2016, and as expected, we had a soft landing...so far anyway.

We did our Permanent Residence landing at Toronto. We handed in our passports with Confirmation Of Permanent Residence letter to the Officer. He asked if we had cash/bank drafts or any form of currency we wanted to declare on which we answered "no". Then he asked us where we are heading and where our PR Cards should be sent. After all of the above questions we were asked to wait a couple of minutes while he processed all of the necessary paperwork. We were called back to his counter +-3 minutes after that and were asked to sign the COPR letters and got our COPR letter copies signed and stamped back with the smiling officer saying "Welcome to Canada". After this we went to get our SIN numbers in offices next to immigration, this took +- 3 minutes. Then we went to the check out gate where we were asked if we have any items that will be following. We gave them the list and they issued us with the forms needed to clear our items which will land on 3 January 2017. All in all it took +- 2 hours from the time we landed in Toronto until we were free to exit the airport.

Our family came and picked us up at the airport in Winnipeg. Nice cold weather for the first week -24 to -30 :cry: no even to talk about wind chill. We spent the first 4 nights at their place just to get over the jet lag, settle in and to catch up with them. We collected our dog, Bella, on 14 December from Air Canada Cargo's warehouse. Our family then took us to the house we are now staying in and WOW - all furnished (and I mean EVERYTHING), SHAW wifi & tv connected, groceries, snow shovel (with the first snow already shoveled), car and everything else we needed to have the softest landing possible :rolleyes:. From Sunday the weather turned to a mild -3 to -8 and for the first time in my life I was happy it is this cold :ilikeit:

We got our bank account activated, got a school for my daughter, made an appointment for our class 5 drivers written tests,got new mobile sims, did Christmas shopping, had family over for dinner, played in the snow, shoveled snow, applied for a job at the company I want to work at, got a call yesterday that they want me to come in for an interview next week 28 December, and that is it...in a nutshell.

Yes, we are tremendously blessed with great family that has gone above and beyond to make us feel at home and settle in. Our landing story will probably be one of the softest so far. Maybe the hard part is still ahead?

We love Winnipeg and the people of Friendly Manitoba so far! 

To jot everything down would probably take me more than 10 days so feel free to ask if you guys need some more specific information or if you have any questions.

Merry Christmas everyone!

 

 

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sideline

Welcome. Good to see things worked out so smoothly. Enjoy the holiday season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Qrios1

@Druce thanks for sharing. Wow a nice soft landing on 3 feet of fluffy snow haha. So happy for you buddy. Your certainly off to a great start. I suspect that the ones that have family, friends (support) and jobs lined up have the softest experiences. Just my observations. You do the lone wolves who make it perfectly fine. Have a wonderful white Christmas sir. It's been a long journey for you guys now bask in it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Freddy
On 12/23/2016 at 10:48 PM, Druce said:

I thought it would be a good time to post an update of our journey so far as a lot has happened since my last post...not just because @Qrios1 started "Where are they now" :lol:

We landed in Winnipeg 13 December 2016, and as expected, we had a soft landing...so far anyway.

We did our Permanent Residence landing at Toronto. We handed in our passports with Confirmation Of Permanent Residence letter to the Officer. He asked if we had cash/bank drafts or any form of currency we wanted to declare on which we answered "no". Then he asked us where we are heading and where our PR Cards should be sent. After all of the above questions we were asked to wait a couple of minutes while he processed all of the necessary paperwork. We were called back to his counter +-3 minutes after that and were asked to sign the COPR letters and got our COPR letter copies signed and stamped back with the smiling officer saying "Welcome to Canada". After this we went to get our SIN numbers in offices next to immigration, this took +- 3 minutes. Then we went to the check out gate where we were asked if we have any items that will be following. We gave them the list and they issued us with the forms needed to clear our items which will land on 3 January 2017. All in all it took +- 2 hours from the time we landed in Toronto until we were free to exit the airport.

Our family came and picked us up at the airport in Winnipeg. Nice cold weather for the first week -24 to -30 :cry: no even to talk about wind chill. We spent the first 4 nights at their place just to get over the jet lag, settle in and to catch up with them. We collected our dog, Bella, on 14 December from Air Canada Cargo's warehouse. Our family then took us to the house we are now staying in and WOW - all furnished (and I mean EVERYTHING), SHAW wifi & tv connected, groceries, snow shovel (with the first snow already shoveled), car and everything else we needed to have the softest landing possible :rolleyes:. From Sunday the weather turned to a mild -3 to -8 and for the first time in my life I was happy it is this cold :ilikeit:

We got our bank account activated, got a school for my daughter, made an appointment for our class 5 drivers written tests,got new mobile sims, did Christmas shopping, had family over for dinner, played in the snow, shoveled snow, applied for a job at the company I want to work at, got a call yesterday that they want me to come in for an interview next week 28 December, and that is it...in a nutshell.

Yes, we are tremendously blessed with great family that has gone above and beyond to make us feel at home and settle in. Our landing story will probably be one of the softest so far. Maybe the hard part is still ahead?

We love Winnipeg and the people of Friendly Manitoba so far! 

To jot everything down would probably take me more than 10 days so feel free to ask if you guys need some more specific information or if you have any questions.

Merry Christmas everyone!

 

 

 

Welcome to Winnipeg.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Druce

Thank you @Freddy, would be nice to meet up for a coffee, pm me if you have some spare time on your hands:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cherine

Welcome. We have lived here 6 yrs. love it. Are u on Facebook? Cherine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Druce

Hi @Cherine, thank you, we are absolutely loving Winnipeg so far!

I am not on facebook but I am on LinkedIn if you would like to connect. I will send you a PM:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cherine

Welcome. We have lived here 6 yrs. love it. Are u on Facebook? Cherine

 I'm not on LinkedIn.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cherine

Which area are u in?

we are in River Heights.

Edited by Cherine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cherine

Still trying to figure out this forum. I'm not on LinkedIn. Which area are u in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this