Lyle

Our big move

Lyle

Hi All,

My wife and I have decided to take the big step and make a move for Canada. So far the process has been relatively smooth regarding the conversion of our degrees and qualifications:

* I am a CA and have applied and been accepted as a CPA. I have to complete a tax course on arrival, but that is more an administrative thing.

* My wife is a doctor and is writing her conversion exam on Thursday this week.

I expect that we will both need to do the English proficiency test and go through all the other hoops to get our visas.

The last thing to do is...have a baby! My wife is due mid-Feb. We have decided to have the baby in SA and as soon as we leave the hospital, stop past the Department of Home Affairs for passports etc. I expect that this will delay most of what can be done? Does anyone have some experience with this - are we able to start the visa application process or should we wait for the baby to arrive?

Thanks!

MaryJane

Welcome to the forum, Lyle!

You definitely could start with the process now before the baby comes along. However, you will need to include him/her on the application once born as the baby will also need a visa to get to Canada. It does delay things a little bit. Some examples of delay are things like "going for medical" being an issue because pregnant woman can't undergo x-rays, applying for child's birth certificate and travel document to name a few.

Congratulations on the baby by the way! 

• Like 1

Nelline

Welcome Lyle and family! You seem to have grabbed everything by the scruff of the neck and therefore, progressing nicely. Congrats on the upcoming birth of your baby. Also, I concur with what MJ said. 

• Like 1

Wolverine

My advice:

Start all the paperwork that does not include the baby, the PCC, the unabridged stuff etc... then wait till the baby is born since she/he is only due in feb and it's not that far, then carry on from there.

The delay of adding a dependent once the application had been submitted could be very nerve-breaking.

Congrats on the baby and welcome to Canada in advance. Both of you are in fields that are really needed up here.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Sideline

Welcome and the advice above is correct, here is some info on what we wrote about our journey.

Take our Journey for instance. We had approval for medical's in June 2012 (in theory we could probably have landed in December 2012 or there about). Then things changed, we found out about being pregnant and baby was expected in that December. We chose to delay everything and then still do medical's in early 2013, and even further pushed the time frame out to land in 2014, allowing us time to settle with a new baby and wind things up slowly. The journey was exactly what we needed and the extra delays and planning certainly helped us.

So our journey was like many in the Pre June 2010 applicants (a very different process back then and so much longer than these 12 or less month times today) but small changes made our journey take over 4 years to get here. Thus enjoy your journey, it ends fast enough and why add to the stress by thinking you are beating someone else out the gate, or maybe stressing more because they beat you. The end of the journey still is the same destination country! Love the time you have while you have it in SA, things change and new challenges await you, so save the energy to deal with new challenges rather then waste energy in stressing over leaving. :)

On January 27, 2016 at 2:54 AM, WannaB Expat said:

It's not harder to get in while pregnant BUT two things change when you're pregnant:

1 - Yes, the proof of funds go up

2 - You have to wait for baby to appear before you can go for medicals as x-rays are required & you can't have x-rays done while pregnant. This could halt your progress by a few months.

On January 27, 2016 at 1:59 AM, PsyCLown said:

For interest sake, does being pregnant make the immigration process more complex?

Does it change anything - make it harder to get in or more funds required etc?

There are two things that happen,

You can delay the medical's. It's your choice to do medical's while pregnant or not. There are enough reasons to not do them vs doing them while pregnant (the X-Ray part). They just need an X-Ray of the chest to check for TB etc, so a belly guard can be used. It's a personal thing and perfectly acceptable to not do medical's while pregnant.

if you do delay, then yes, proof of funds go up. Also you need to resubmit family info forms to update the application. This means getting the birth certificate for the new arrival (shouldn't be an issue as they do full unabridged birth certificates now so no need to apply) and then you also need to get a passport for baby.

After this you get updated medical requests that will include baby. It's a non invasive test on baby, generally just measurements and a push on the belly to check for liver issues etc. very easy.

Dont under ANY circumstances try and get through the medical's and not disclose your pregnancy status, even if you choose to do the X-rays. This will end up in your application being completed and your baby is not in that application. The result is you need to "sponsor" your child and that is a HUGE battle.

You can only sponsor someone (even your own child) if you are in Canada for I think 2 years (need to prove financial and settlement stability), but you can't go to Canada without baby (unless the in laws are going to raise baby for about 3-5 years). So it's basically an entirely new application from the start to get baby into Canada as you did not submit the correct (updated) family forms BEFORE your application was complete, so they do not recognize baby under the 'original' application.

Of course there is nothing wrong with getting to Canada before baby is born, but that is a whole new discussion.

Hope this helps

On January 28, 2016 at 0:16 AM, Raquel said:

@Sideline Sounds complicated! :P

@Raquel, not really (if you do it right). All you are doing is updating your family status to be a plus 1. The complicated part is the extra funds needed :P 

although you can only give the updated details after baby is born, as you need the name, birth certificate (easy these days, you should get it as soon as you register baby at home affairs) and a passport that takes about 10days. So in under a month you will be back on track (after birth)

• Like 1

CobusJ

@Lyle it is so weird, as we were in very similar positions.

I am an accountant myself and wife is a doctor. I assume by saying your wife is writing the conversion exam you mean the MCCEE? So her degrees have already been verified on physicians apply? That takes a couple of months.

I would not worry about being pregnant at this point of time. It only gets complicated if you have the baby after you received confirmation of permanent residency but before you land. (Thats what happend with us).

All you would do is send a case specific enquiry stating your family composition have changed, and supply them with the unabridged birth certificate. They will then ask you for some more documents, pay the relevant fees etc.

You will only have to do the medical once you received ITA. (assuming you apply for PR and not a work visa). Not sure about work visas. By the time you have your IELTS results, police clearances etc, it might be February already

• Like 1

Lyle

Thanks all for the guidance and advice.

@CobusJ That's correct, she is currently writing the MCCEE as I type this. Her degrees have already been verified on Physicians Apply. I have never actually looked into the WES certification for me - I am assuming this would not be necessary as I have been accepted by CPA BC?

We will be applying for PR. So your suggestion would be to get the English exam and police clearances behind us now? Is there an expiry on these types of things?

CobusJ

Hi @Lyle,

I believe IELTS is valid for 2 years but I am not sure how long the police clearances are valid for, i think it is a year, but maybe someone else can comment here. Although, i doubt that it will take longer than 6 months for you to get an ITA.

You will need the police clearance once you received your ITA, and with your wifes degree, I would guess you should be around 480+ points. My wife was in the pool for about 2 weeks.

With regards to WES, not sure if you will need it to be honest. I did mine, was quick and painless.

• Like 1

Zain

@Lyle the police clearance is valid for 6 months.

• Like 1

Druce

@Zain is correct, it is only valid for 6 months, you may ask for a one time re-issue before the 6 month period is over and they will re-issue you with new certificates for R96 (if I remember correctly) without having to go through the whole process of fingerprints, filling forms, etc. You just send an e-mail, read more about it here:

• Like 2

Lyle

When do you need police clearance? I have tried to google, but it is a maze of information!

I assume you need it when you send in your PR application? Is this the only time it is required during the submission process?

In my mind you would need it even after PR has been granted? Up to the date when you leave SA?

Thanks.

tarinerk

Hi @Lyle

You only need PCC once you submit your PR application. Best to apply once you receive ITA. If you apply for provincial nomination, you will need it then. 

PCC is valid for 6 months. You can apply for a re-issue before the 6 months are up. Good luck ? 

• Like 1

Painter lady

@Lyle

Here's a post you might find useful. It helped us understand the whole process when we started planning.

• Like 1

Lyle

Thanks very much @Painter lady. I will take a read through there.

For us, the next step appears to be book our IELTS (possibly in January '17) and start applying for work. We are hoping to go across on my wife's medical qualifications - if we land an offer, it should help us in the pool.

Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

Lyle

So...it's been a good few months and these things move too slowly for my liking.

An update on our progress: My wife has sent all documentation required to receive provincial nomination as a doctor - with both Alberta and British Columbia. We are currently awaiting feedback...any feedback at this stage would be great! At the same time we have started creating an EE profile and will build on it in the coming weeks. We have both completed our IELTS tests. I am currently in the process of getting my degrees processed by WES - but what a mission, especially UNISA! I expect this will take 8 weeks at best.

Still no job offer or even a provincial nomination at this stage. 

This is not a quick process. It is not an easy process. At times you feel as though you are waiting for nothing and feel totally deflated. 

CobusJ

Hi Lyle, things work out in the end. Just soldier through the tough times.

It is not easy and yes it can be disheartneing to not hear anything, but at the same time makes it more special when you do get that feedback.

It took a while for my wife to get that job offer, but it came in the end.

Fair enough it was not where we would have liked to settle, but then again you cant always have your bread buttered both sides.

Just hang on. Create that EE profile and get that sorted while you wait. Will also make it easier to land that offer

• Like 1

Nettie
1 hour ago, Lyle said:

So...it's been a good few months and these things move too slowly for my liking.

An update on our progress: My wife has sent all documentation required to receive provincial nomination as a doctor - with both Alberta and British Columbia. We are currently awaiting feedback...any feedback at this stage would be great! At the same time we have started creating an EE profile and will build on it in the coming weeks. We have both completed our IELTS tests. I am currently in the process of getting my degrees processed by WES - but what a mission, especially UNISA! I expect this will take 8 weeks at best.

Still no job offer or even a provincial nomination at this stage. 

This is not a quick process. It is not an easy process. At times you feel as though you are waiting for nothing and feel totally deflated. 

Hi @Lyle. I ended up using only courier services to send documents so I could have proof of delivery and at least be sure things were delivered. These big organisations in Canada have a lot of red tape and it takes time to review and then send back what else they need, then you send stuff back and they write you back.....oh yes, I know what that is like. Every new document you have to send adds more weeks to the process. Good luck with everything.

Edited by Nettie
  • Like 1

Nelline

This feels like a good time to again share my "famous" quote: "If it were easy, everybody would be doing it" 

Just keep plugging away, roll with the punches and grab it by the scruff of the neck! :P

• Like 2

Lyle

I guess the real problem I face is an impending resignation date. I was required to give a minimum of 6 months notice - I was generous and provided 15 so as to give my employer time to find a suitable replacement. At the time, my thinking was that I might actually be forced to stay in SA while my wife and kids moved overseas, but my current thinking that unless things progress quickly from here on, I will likely run short of time. Interviews for my position are well under way and I have committed to an end date of 31 March 2018. Come what may, on that day, I will be out of a job. I have seen the situation in the job market and I would most likely be forced to consult on an ad-hoc basis until we move. Not great but I guess something I would have to do.

Lyle

Hi All,

Quick question - maybe @Nettie or @CobusJ can help! When I get my qualifications certified through WES for example, must I send the report to the Express Entry guys?

I could google but I'm short of time.

Thanks in advance!

FaithFUL
1 minute ago, Lyle said:

Hi All,

Quick question - maybe @Nettie or @CobusJ can help! When I get my qualifications certified through WES for example, must I send the report to the Express Entry guys?

I could google but I'm short of time.

Thanks in advance!

No, you upload it when you submit your documents for PR application. You also insert the WES number on your express entry profile when you create it.

• Like 1

Lyle

Thanks @FaithFUL

Lyle

So we had a minor set back last night!

My wife and I did the academic IELTS exam as this was specifically requested by both BC and Alberta under their International Medical Graduates (IMG) programs. After doing some further research it became apparent that EE only accepts the general training IELTS. The next time slot available was towards the end of September, which would push all our plans out! After much stress and chaos, we realised that under the respective IMG programs you should not enter the EE pool, but rather rely on the provincial nomination process. They actually state that they will not assist you with the EE process if you do enter the pool. However, they still insist that you do have the general training IELTS to get a job offer.

Long story short, my wife has had to do both the academic and general IELTS tests! The cost is not the problem, it's the admin! Anyways, good news is that there is progress with both our BC and Alberta applications. We are hoping and praying that soon we will receive a job offer from either province. We still have our eyes firmly fixed on making the move by March 2018!

As @Nelline mentioned before...if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Strength to all the others going through this. I have no doubt that it will be worth it in the end!

• Like 1

Nettie

@Lyle Good to hear there's some movement. These timelines are ?timelines. Ask your wife what that means LOL.

Good luck in the months ahead.

Lyle

Hi All,

As mentioned before my wife is a general physician and we are applying under her name. We have applied to both BC and Alberta. I would appreciate any advice from doctors who have applied to either BC or Alberta on the below please! 

* For BC - our information has been submitted to the College for assessment under the PRA-BC program. We still have to go through the pre-screening phase and then have a number of other hoops to get through before being successful. We have been told numerous times that the process is highly competitive so we are holding thumbs on that one.

* For Alberta - we have been issued an eligibility letter which essentially allows us to look for employment. Once we have found something, we can move forward. I understand that we need to wait for the post to close before they will review my wife's CV. This again, puts us out by a few months at least. 

We are expecting to wait over a month till we hear any more progress on either front, so I thought it would be a good time to sort out other immigration matters. I assume we will still either need to obtain permanent residency or a work visa. Would we do this under EE or are the above programs seen as provincial nomination programs and if so, how does this differ from EE?

On the matter of medicals - are you able to get your medical tests done before you have submitted your EE/work visa application and then link the results to your application at a later stage? I recall reading somewhere that when the medical assessment is done, it is linked to your application number, meaning no application, no medical result. 

Thanks all, really appreciate the help and guidance!