Sign in to follow this  
FaithFUL

School homework

FaithFUL

Hi everybody

A quick question: do the kids get homework or will we blessed with stress free evenings? I know sport does not feature much in schools (or have I got it wrong?)

• Like 1

MaryJane

Haha...we can only hope.

Lower grades don't have too much homework but older ones do.

• Like 1

Jules
On Tuesday, November 08, 2016 at 6:48 AM, MaryJane said:

Haha...we can only hope.

Lower grades don't have too much homework but older ones do.

My experience has been the opposite actually. Our kids seemed to get much more homework (including projects) in the early grades. And because the kids are small it means the parents end up doing most of the work. From about grade 4 the amount of homework started to decline with the kids doing most assignments in the classroom. By high school it increases again, but by that stage it is something the teenager needs to deal with (more than the parents).

MaryJane

That settles it then. My child only started here in Grade 3. :lol:

Lucky too. I don't think I would've been able to handle it then, dealing with newcomer anxieties and primary school homework.

Jules
3 minutes ago, MaryJane said:

That settles it then. My child only started here in Grade 3. :lol:

Lucky too. I don't think I would've been able to handle it then, dealing with newcomer anxieties and primary school homework.

Yeah you dodged a bullet lol.

Grades 1 and 2 were the worst. And when dealing with small kids it means the parents have to do most of the leg work for homework and projects. Hated it! Definitely declined over grade 3 and even less by grade 4.

Nelline
47 minutes ago, Jules said:

Yeah you dodged a bullet lol.

Grades 1 and 2 were the worst. And when dealing with small kids it means the parents have to do most of the leg work for homework and projects. Hated it! Definitely declined over grade 3 and even less by grade 4.

Mine is in Grade 2 and they don't get a lot of homework. Reading a short age-appropriate book (gets sent home every day), practise 15 spelling words and doing some counting (forwards and backwards in 2's or 5's for example). Maybe 20 minutes in total, max. Last year in Grade 1, there was only reading every day. However, in my opinion (and being an ex-teacher myself) I still maintain kids shouldn't be given ANY homework. Hometime should be for family activities, sports and hobbies (and household chores!)

• Like 2

Lizelle

There's been a big push in Alberta the past while from parents to decrease homework.  One woman simply goes at the start of the school year and tells the teacher that she does not believe that homework is necessary, and that she (and her kid) will not be doing any homework, so don't send any.  Seems to work for her, but I am not sure what you do when it's a project rather than simply reading lists or stuff

Jules
5 hours ago, Nelline said:

Mine is in Grade 2 and they don't get a lot of homework. Reading a short age-appropriate book (gets sent home every day), practise 15 spelling words and doing some counting (forwards and backwards in 2's or 5's for example). Maybe 20 minutes in total, max. Last year in Grade 1, there was only reading every day. However, in my opinion (and being an ex-teacher myself) I still maintain kids shouldn't be given ANY homework. Hometime should be for family activities, sports and hobbies (and household chores!)

Sounds similar to our kids in those grades but was around a half hour each night which feels like a long time at the end of the day. And then maybe one project each month which would translate into another few hours of homework. I just felt it was too much for little ones. 

I agree that all work should be done in class. They are there for 7 hours a day.

• Like 1