Annabelle

Self-employed visa

Annabelle

Hello,

Has anyone successfully applied for the self-employed visa? I can find a lot of information online about the other visas but this one is a bit of a mystery.

• Does anyone know how long it takes to get the visa?
  • How much should you be earning per month on average?
  • What if you freelance and outsource some of the work if you get busy. Does a small company count as self-employed? I found some information on the Canadian immigration site that suggested that it might count, but I'm really not sure about it.

I would be grateful for any advice or tips! Thanks so much for your time.

nerolink

Hi Annabelle - This was also our first choice but the room movement in it is quite little. In short we where told if you don't fall in the Culture, Athletics or Farming category you don't qualify. So it seems to me that although they have a category for entrepreneurs, they are quite strict on self employment and they dont allow you to just start a company there.  On top of this it seems that even for culture you need to invest like CAD 500 000 to qualify. We wanted to go over as farmers but you must invest that at least. 

We also investigated Photography and to open a studio there as its one of the options under culture but you need to invest as well so its a bit tricky to find something that fits 100%. 

We are still looking into this as well so I will inform you if I hear anything from my side. I am sure there's alot of people on this site that will be able to give you exact details!

Regards

Francisco

• Like 1

Annabelle

Thank you very much for your reply, Francisco.

I work as a freelance editor (which falls in the culture category) and have the required two years' experience.

As far as I understood, you only need to invest money if you are on an entrepreneur/start-up visa, but I may be wrong. I think you can continue to work as a freelancer without investing in your company if you are on a self-employed visa. The information on the website is a bit unclear as to how much you should be earning. I guess this is because all businesses are unique.

I also got the feeling that applying for a self-employed visa could be a longer process than the express entry visa.

Good luck with your application!

nerolink

Thanks - We need it. 

Regarding your application I am trying to create a coffee club for the people here in Cape Town where we can talk about the application processes and where in the process everybody are or if there's a better way. I am working closely with Theuna de Waal from athabascaimmigration.ca and we will skype her now and then where you can ask these questions and get a professional answer. 

I will let you know when we have the next session with her - She mentioned it will be somewhere in September as they will be on holiday in August. 

Anyway thanks again and will keep you posted.

Annabelle

Thank you for your message, Francisco. I am positive you will find a way to get to Canada.

I would love to join your coffee club and I know one or two other people who may also be keen if you have space for them.

Unless I hit a major obstacle, I will probably not use an agent as I have lived and worked in other countries before and have always done my own paperwork. I also don't have a family to think of which makes it a lot easier. However, I am happy to share my experience regarding the application process along the way and I'm probably going to apply in the next few months.

Let's keep in touch. :)

Bronwen

Hi everyone,

FYI Quebec has a self-employed program too. However - the annual limit is only 50 people unless you are fluent in French. 

There is also an absolute mountain of paperwork to submit (by snail mail) and it costs over CAD1000 to apply. 

I will be giving it a shot if I ever manage to get all my papers together. 

Here's a link to the info sheet: https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/divers/Immigration-Quebec_A0520TF.pdf

Best,

Bronwen