Sign in to follow this  
JennyVee

Immigrating to Ontario as a Freelancer

JennyVee

Hello

Hubby and I have been trying to move to Ontario for a year now. We were at 451 points, but then I turned 35 and we were shunted down the list. We remember something about going over as a self-employed individual, and just needing x amount of money to show that we can support ourselves. Thing is, I can't find any info about this, and we don't want to book another consultation with an immigration lawyer/advisor unless it's a real option.

Are we just making things up or is there any stream like this? I'm a writer, and hubby works in the film industry.

If I'm ignoring the obvious please excuse me. I'm pregnant, we have a toddler and so my brain is cheese.

Edited by JennyVee
forgot a tag
  • Like 1

MaryJane

You might be referring to this - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/self-employed/index.asp

It includes farmers and people working in cultural activities. Here is more definition of what is cultural activities - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=291&top=6

For the money requirement, there is no set amount. It links back to the EE proof of funds though so the assumption would be to use it as a gauge. And then add some. Here's what CIC said: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=294&top=6

Hope this helps.

JennyVee

Thanks @MaryJane This is exactly the info we need :) 

JennyVee

Just a follow up question, @MaryJane, we were told by an immigration consultant that the average timeframe for processing and immigrating through the self-employed persons stream is eight years. Does this sound right to you?!

FaithFUL

It would appear that the self-employed route is a paper based application so the chances are good that the timeframe might be longer.

I don't see any references to Express Entry in the self-employed section as per MJ's link above, but then again, I could have missed it.

JennyVee

Thanks for the reply, @WannaB Expat. That's what I figured, eight years just seems insane. As far as I understand, the self-employed stream is separate form Express Entry. I'm just hoping we can apply both ways.

Timmie23

Well, if rumours are to be believed, your score of now 446 will most likely be drawn before any kind of paper based application goes through.

Just keep having faith. Once that paper based application backlog is cleared, the invites will come back to around the 450 mark most likely.

JennyVee

Thanks so much for the encouragement, @Timmie23. The wait can make you feel pretty helpless.

Timmie23
1 hour ago, JennyVee said:

The wait can make you feel pretty helpless.

Preaching to the choir there :-)

Ready to apply for SINP. Oh what's that, no longer accepting the 2-3 different IT Occupation I have years of experience in. Okay....

Literally had zero progress since I applied to EE on 10 Dec 2015. 

But I still have faith, the points will come down.

#PointsMustFall

B)

Edited by Timmie23

Carine
On 7/7/2016 at 10:24 AM, JennyVee said:

Just a follow up question, @MaryJane, we were told by an immigration consultant that the average timeframe for processing and immigrating through the self-employed persons stream is eight years. Does this sound right to you?!

Hi @JennyVee, just wanted to find out if you ever received feedback with regards to the self-employed persons stream?

Thank you!

Rozita

Hi @JennyVee I was wondering if you had any joy with the freelance process. My husband is also in the Arts and he's the primary applicant. He works full-time but also has been freelancing for over 6 years. We're in the EE pool but our points are at the 430 mark. We're thinking of taking the Freelance application route. Any advice?