Sign in to follow this  
QueenOfHeartsZA

Bringing my cats with

QueenOfHeartsZA

Hi all

I am very excited to be apart of this forum. I have learnt so much already. I will be bringing my two male cats over with us when we move over. We are still right at the beginning of the process though. 

I would like to know if you have taken your animals with you. How much it costed and who you used. Also if you took your cat, how have they settled.

Nelline

There are some solid threads on bringing animals over. It is very possible and they usually settle very well. Only piece of information to add is that it appears you CAN now arrange and book your animal's travel yourself - in the past I was repeatedly told you can ONLY book from SA via a travel agent and that the airlines are refusing to accept Joe Public's bookings. I have recently heard from more than one person who said you can now book directly - and save yourself a LOT of money! 

Hennie vdB

Make a cup of coffee, enter "pets" in the forum search block, hit enter, and prepare for a long weekend's reading.

Cheapest as far as I know, is to book the pet as special check-in luggage, on the same flight as yourself. Just do NOT fly via London, as the UK (used to?) have strict lengthy quarantine laws. KLM via Amsterdam is the animal carrier of choice. 

Eish, can't believe I'm providing advice to a cat person!   :offtopic:

Edited by Hennie vd Berg
  • Like 4

QueenOfHeartsZA
1 hour ago, Nelline said:

There are some solid threads on bringing animals over. 

I have found that 90% are about dogs. :-/ I will try look more for cat specific posts. -)

Nelline

Nope - the principles are the same - trust me :D

I'd say cats settle in better and quicker than dogs. The only advisory is - if your cat is an OUTSIDE cat you may have problems because there are too many predators around ready and waiting for a tasty cat morsel. If your cats will be happy to become / are mostly inside cats (with outside time strictly supervised) you'll be fine. 

1 hour ago, QueenOfHeartsZA said:

I have found that 90% are about dogs. :-/ I will try look more for cat specific posts. -)

M-N

I think @Sideline may be of assistance. :) 

Merida

@QueenOfHeartsZA, Neline has a good point regarding kitty safety.  Fortunately, there is a way for kitties to be safe and happy, even having a breeze blowing through their fur.

This is a accomplished by having an outdoor cat enclosure accessible via a window, for example. http://habitathaven.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

If your husband is handy you could get a cat enclosure kit to put together yourselves.  

Of course, the kitties need something to scratch and climb.  I really recommend the Phoenix Feline Furniture: http://www.phoenixfelinefurniture.com/pricing.html

cat post.jpg

As you see they come in interesting shapes and variety of sizes.  He searches the beaches of Campbell River for all the unique pieces of wood.

BTW, when flying over with your kitties, do not give them a sedative.  While sedatives might work fine for dogs they seem to cause cats to howl.

Something like Rescue Remedy should be fine just to make them feel calm.  What breed of cat are they, as KLM states that those breeds that look like they ran into a wall would have difficulty breathing in the area that they put the animals?

Edited by Merida

Cathy K

Friends brought their two cats along and they settled in nicely.

A word of caution though. Canadians prefer indoor cats, mainly because they play havoc with the bird population. Neighbours don't take kindly to roaming felines.

We have two cats and they are only allowed supervised excursions into our backyard. We take them outside a few times a day for some running and play time.

QueenOfHeartsZA

Our youngest is very much a home cat. He stays hone most of the day and even snuggles under the duvet with us at night. Our other boy is an outdoor cat however we are in the process of installing a cat containment system to keep him inside our property and then we will go further to train him to stay indoors. 

• Like 1

delene

We landed in 2000. We brought both our rescued cats with is. I cannot remember the cost but do remember it was not difficult. We used a pet travel agency. They also went via Amsterdam. 

They were both outdoor cats. We were advised to keep them indoors because of predators. We landed in Vancouver. We did that and they settled in very well. Never had a problem. They travelled all over Canada with us. We eventually settled in Ontario. The died of old age in 2012 and the last one in 2013. They were part of our family so would never have left them behind. Was always very happy to have brought them over. They helped us survive. 

• Like 1

QueenOfHeartsZA

Our cats are our children. We have a ca5 stand in our house now. They love it and crack me up when they almost fall off of it due to excitement. :-) We will finish installing our containment system tomorrow, as we started 2 weekends ago and then we were rained out last weekend.

Both of the cats are tabbys. One is a silver tabby and the other is a classic with patches. 

I will definitely look into the enclosure kits. We are both hands on.

Edited by QueenOfHeartsZA
  • Like 1

Nelline
26 minutes ago, QueenOfHeartsZA said:

Our cats are our children. We have a ca5 stand in our house now. They love it and crack me up when they almost fall off of it due to excitement. :-) We will finish installing our containment system tomorrow, as we started 2 weekends ago and then we were rained out last weekend.

Both of the cats are tabbys. One is a silver tabby and the other is a classic with patches. 

You'll be absolutely fine and the cats will be absolutely fine

M-N
23 hours ago, QueenOfHeartsZA said:

Also, don't be afraid to take your cats out on leashes.  It's pretty common here even though it looks funny.  I take my cat for "a walk" a few times a week as we stay in a condo and she doesn't get to go out much.  I've taught her to walk (or more me dragging her) on a leash.  :lol: I'm not the only one in our condo block that does that. :) 

• Like 3

Sideline

This is a topic we did some time ago. About half way down is contact details for FlyingAnimals. We brought our cats over with them.

not sure on current pricing etc, and if the rumors that you can do it yourself are now true, it's a HUGE cost saving.

QueenOfHeartsZA

Thank you @Sideline I will read that :-)

Sideline

Found some info re pet travel. The usual requirements and could save a bundle. However the stresses of immigration and all the 'stuff' going on days and hours before you leave might make the cost of an agent better, especially if the pets are traveling after you have left. Then again if you have really good family/friends willing to run around for you, the cost savings might be quite substantial.

http://www.southafrica.to/transport/Airlines/SAA-flights/SAA-pets.php

http://www.flysaa.com/us/en/flyingSAA/baggage/travellingWithPets.html

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/live-animals/pets/Pages/index.aspx

• Like 1

chris.wigens@gmail.com

Wanted to share some of my pet transport research to help here - we should be making the move in December with 5 dogs and 2 cats so making the pet move as easy and cost effective as possible was critical.

Firstly the pet transport companies in South Africa tend to only quote you on sending your pets as Cargo. For us in Durban that's via Emirates by default. The quotes I received fluctuated between R120,000 and R145,000 for the dogs and cats (dogs are all huskies or related so medium to large size).

One of these pet movers let slip the option of sending pets as excess baggage and so I started the in-depth investigations which led me to this point. Top options at the moment are Swiss Air and Lufthansa. They are actually associated and I've discovered that Swiss Air doesn't seem to go to Vancouver themselves but send you first from Zurich to Frankfurt and then on Lufthansa to Vancouver. So pick whichever airline does the trip with only 1 stop. Heading to Vancouver thus meant for us picking Lufthansa. The information on Lufthansa applies exactly the same for Swiss Air, so read in tandem. The other airline option which initially seemed viable is KLM, however they will only take pets from Cape Town, and there seemed to be some doubt as to whether they would do that as excess baggage.

Cost of pets as excess baggage ranges from $100 to $400 per pet (either Canadian $ or American $... exchange rate means I'll  be picking the CAD). The cost is determined not on weight but on the size of the crate each animal has. My 5 dogs are each in the $400 category, and my cats can apparently be taken as hand luggage for $100 each. That equates to $2200 for flight costs, plus purchasing the crates at roughly R5500 each so a total of roughly R30,000. Add in state vet fees and we're looking at approximately R60,000 total, totally worth the effort to save R60,000.

However note that each plane can only take 2-3 dogs per flight in the hold. This means that my wife and I will have to fly separately and each take 1 cat and 2-3 dogs. Still not a problem though. Canada is fortunately one of the easiest countries to bring pets to. The main requirement is to ensure against rabies and so the standard certifications and blood tests are necessary. I've actually read that if you land without rabies vac proof that you'll be given a couple of weeks to get them once in Canada and have to produce the certificates later (not that I'd recommend trying that).

Finally please don't forget your option to drive - quotes received from the pet transport companies include items such as collection, and sometimes even a local flight (Durban to JHB in our case). We intend to hire a combi and drive to JHB before putting anyone on a plane.

Well best of luck to everyone heading there with pets, I hope you have smooth sailing. Will let you know if anything I've put down here turns out to be inaccurate in practice!

• Like 2

QueenOfHeartsZA

Thank you so much. This is the type of post i was looking for when I posted the question as there are many posts with actual figures people have obtained.

chris.wigens@gmail.com

I've just verified all this again with Lufthansa. They were very helpful. Only correction is that apparently there's currently an embargo on flying pets out of jhb. Cape Town however is fine for it. Also found out the weight limit for in cabin is 8kg including carrier. 

QueenOfHeartsZA
1 minute ago, chris.wigens@gmail.com said:

Only correction is that apparently there's currently an embargo on flying pets out of jhb.

What does this mean?

2 minutes ago, chris.wigens@gmail.com said:

Also found out the weight limit for in cabin is 8kg including carrier. 

So my cat is allowed on as hand luggage? I though SA didn't allow pets as hand luggage even if the airline did allow it.

chris.wigens@gmail.com

The embargo means that no pets are permitted as excess baggage through jhb.

I've read mixed reports on the in cabin question. However yesterday the local Lufthansa person confirmed that matter specifically for me. In fact apparently they can take 2 pets in cabin from Cape Town. I'm assuming that the legislative side is also current and correct because they explained the jhb embargo to me which is a decision taken locally for whatever reason. 

QueenOfHeartsZA

Well maybe ill have to fly to CT and fly with them from there. That is good news. Did they explain cost for that option? Thank goodness my children are cats so they shouldn't weigh more than 5. I know my one boy is about 4 but the other loves his food. :'P

chris.wigens@gmail.com

The cost is the best part ;) $100

Oh and all pet fees are payable at the airport upon departure (as you would for other excess baggage)

Hennie vdB

Another detail to remember is that the airlines are usually very specific about which brand/type of animal crates are allowed, so don't go buy the cheapest ones you find in Pick n Pay. Do the homework first. Goedkoop is duur koop!

Aneljozi

Hi just got a quote from Pet Port in Johannesburg for my ginger cat. It is R8650 without import permit assistance cost on other side, which they cannot do for Canada.

Edited by Aneljozi