SA Deploys 301 Firefighters to Canada

Ominous_Hashtag

Can't help but feel proud. I hope they make a difference.

Cathy K

Sorry if I am a bit cynical.  Canada refused help from many countries around the world, including Russia, the USA, Mexico, Israel. But they accept it from South Africa?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/justin-trudeau-turns-down-russian-u-s-mexican-offers-to-help-fight-fort-mac-wildfire

And in the meantime South African firefighters are desperately needed in Limpopo and Hammanskraal where schools and buildings are being torched by unhappy and unruly residents.

Something seems very, very wrong.

• Like 3

@Cathy K To dispel my own doubts I delved deeper into the story before posting the article. Read below:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2016/05/26/South-African-fire-fighters-prep-for-Canada-in-their-biggest-international-deployment-yet

http://workingonfire.org/

https://www.jacarandafm.com/news-sport/news/canada-get-help-sa-fire-fighters/

If this journey provides these South Africans with an opportunity to increase their skills, kudos to the people at http://workingonfire.org/ for arranging it!

As for the burning of schools etc, that's another story.....

Merida

Lawrence, I don't think that Cathy was implying that she doesn't believe you.

But it is strange that they declined offers of help from countries that are actually closer as well.  

Seems to be playing politics.  

• Like 1

M-N

Canada getting firefighters from South Africa to help with wild fires is not a new thing. Last year they also got people in from SA (I think around 20) to help with the BC fires. Not sure about the years before.  So perhaps Canada and SA have a standing, trusting, agreement. You can't blame the government for not wanting to go into any type of "contracts" or "agreements" agreements with Russia anyway.   We don't know the depth of that "offer".   Just saying.  

• Like 2

On 28/05/2016 at 8:54 PM, Merida said:

Lawrence, I don't think that Cathy was implying that she doesn't believe you.

But it is strange that they declined offers of help from countries that are actually closer as well.  

Seems to be playing politics.  

@Merida, it was not taken in the context that @Cathy K did not believe me? I am merely saying that the company http://workingonfire.org/ in South Africa sending these folk are doing it for a good cause. Yes the program is SA government funded and some slimy politician will probably take credit for it. But hey, there's still a good story to come out of it! :)

You are correct with this statement too; ''But it is strange that they declined offers of help from countries that are actually closer as well"http://globalnews.ca/news/2690570/trudeau-criticized-for-refusing-international-help-for-fort-mcmurray-wildfire/ ; that was May 9. The above offer was confirmed on May 25 / 26.....

Edited by Lawrence

Merida

The South African firefighters have arrived:

Edited by Merida

Harry

Call me a cynic based on experience. I have captured my thoughts on my Wordpress blog. I also started out with some pride, and then got seriously angry:  ANC POLITCIZES CANADIAN FIRE

• Like 2

Harry, as I mentioned above; people politicize events for different reasons and personal gain…. With 2016 an election year in SA, 301 Fire Fighters to Canada is a good story for the ANC to get some extra mileage!  I have my soapbox moments with the shenanigans of our ANC comrades. 

Being cynical is part of life’s lesson, what’s important to me that I don’t allow it to negatively influence my outlook of SA.  I always hope there is potential for positive change in SA. If 10% of the SA fire fighters to Canada gain professional and personal skills, in my opinion the trip has been a success. I will not labour the point further!

As always, your input and opinion always makes for interesting conversation!

OutOfSa

Imagine my surprise:

SA Fire Fighters Strike On Wage Dispute In Alberta

Surprise that they made it there, surprise that inexperienced 'fire fighters' are let loose on some of the worst fires in the world, surprise that they are on a wage dispute in a foreign country :o

Mind you, they were dancing and some people thought they were charming dancers....:blink:  :lol:

Anyone understand the significance of "301"?

Edited by OutOfSa
  • Like 4

Harry

Errrr....Lawrence...may I giggle yet?  I know it is not good form to kick a guy when he's down, but....errr... may I perhaps tickle you mercilessly?:rolleyes:

I learnt of this in the shower this morning. My wife started giggling hysterically back in the room in front of the TV..... and she was only responding to the ticker at the bottom of the screen. As to the well-meaning Canucks.....this could not happen to better folks. (:lol::lol::lol: ....errr...oops... :rolleyes:). I mean, they thought these folks were going to PUT OUT fires; not create "fires".

And they DO SO "inspire one another with their singing", according to the CBC.[Is there a smiley for totally hysterical laughter?]

Sorry man, I can't help it. I know you meant well. But we all knew it was going to go wrong. The words "ANC" and "work" cannot be used together in one sentence. We all know that.

• Like 3

Ominous_Hashtag

This is so shameful yet I shouldn't be surprised. Another disgrace to be added to a long line of recent disgraces,

The "not-so-brave 300" have been recalled to SA to face a disciplinary hearing.

I'd like to await them at the airport and give them the welcome they deserve...but first I need go purchase a box of rotten tomatoes.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Errrr....Lawrence...may I giggle yet?  I know it is not good form to kick a guy when he's down, but....errr... may I perhaps tickle you mercilessly?:rolleyes:

Harry, no excuses, that’s me ‘’the eternal optimist’’. You give somebody an opportunity and they screw-up, it’s their loss. 

With WOF’s International reach: http://www.workingonfire.com/   I was expecting something more positive.  Family of mine provide a similar consulting service for Civil Engineers in SA and its yielded positive results.

Harry

Lawrence, what can I say. I envy you your optimism. I once knew the word, but then life intruded. My mom loves saying "Alles werk mee ten goede". At this point in my life I have zero evidence that she's right. I now subscribe to "No good deed shall go unpunished". It's become more a case of can I keep my feet planted 18 inches apart and not lose my sense of humour. And so optimism turns to wry cynicism as the soul struggles with constant contradiction....and yet one tries to do good.

If something good has come of this, then it is that the perpetually naive do-good Canadians have learnt some of the reality of what South Africa has had to deal with. Perhaps one or two are now closer to comprehending reality. Let this be a lesson to them. Thirty-two million to go.

Oops! I forgot. Romeo Dallaire, a guy I like, DID learn the lesson in Rwanda as UN military commander, and he pretty much slowly went nuts in the process by his own admission.

I have quoted Dallaire for years as the "Only Canadian who understands, and it drove him nuts". The rest of us go cynical.

• Like 1

Qrios1

I also find it very disturbing. It's bad enough if people strike on home soil let alone another country. These guys agreed to the T&C's when they signed that contract. Eish with so many strikers I wonder why Bafana Bafana don't win more games

Edited by Qrios1
  • Like 1

Cathy K

Harry, you haven't read much of the comments under the articles, have you? All the sympathy is with the "firefighters", because they got such a lousy deal.  Somehow this will turn out to again be apartheid's fault. It was mentioned that Blacks in South Africa are still slaves. Another commentator asked what can you expect when Whites in South Africa still earn six times more than Blacks. A firefighter who worked alongside these guys praised their work ethic and expertise.

Once more it's the fault of everyone else. The noble ANC of Nelson Mandela can do nothing wrong. 

• Like 2

JN Claassens

O and don't for get ol Jan van Riebeeck, he had a hand in it too. 

The biggest spanner in my works are the average white person in all the comments and I did read quite a few threw the race card left right and centre. How can we as logical thinkers be so cruel to the "poor" souls!! It's basic business the got a contract and signed to the agreed term, bottom line. Now they strike, make SA's name mamparra and best of all their demands are met once again! Why??? I think it's because everybody tries to be so bloody political correct these days that it takes on a whole new form of racism. If it was people with morals and work ethnic, it would never have happened. 

Back to the comments, I'm so sick and tired of white people being ashamed of being white, the tend to be more racial driven that it borders to being racist against his own race.

A sad sad thing to see.

The work on fire guys, well most of them are a joke in SA. There are a bunch of them sitting at the show grounds in Vrede Freestate, getting paid for doing nothing the whole year round. If they have a truck that can take them to a fire, IF they have one. They get asked to please leave for the only make things worst. 

• Like 1

Politics aside, plenty of finger pointing going on. We'll never get to the true story?  Another SA embarrassment and wasted opportunities for a few people that really could have benefited from the experience!