Sign in to follow this  
johan1980

I need advice on how to immigrate

johan1980

Hi to all. 

I need advice on how to move forward because I'm stuck on how to apply for immigration. 

To start off with myself and my wife are Metro police officers in Johannesburg  (who is tired of corrupt SA)

We are interested on working for a police department in Canada and as luck may have it there is vacancies open for international police officers who are currently employed as police officers. It all sounds great but here is the problem.

Before they can except us they need a permanent resident permit before I can apply. ( bang )

Is it possible to get a PR if you've never been in Canada? I don't know anyone in Canada either! So what to do?

The Police Departments also have no connection or influence with thegovernmentin terms of issuing of PRS. The PR is part of the application process. 

So if anyone can assist with advice, please. We are waiting in anticipation!!!

MaryJane
32 minutes ago, johan1980 said:

Is it possible to get a PR if you've never been in Canada? I don't know anyone in Canada either! So what to do?

Hi Johan, welcome to SACanada.

To answer your question, yes it is possible to get PR even if you've never been in Canada.

Your first step would be to check if you and your spouse qualify for Express Entry (referred to as EE). Here's the link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/

It works on a points system and the more points you get, the higher the chance that you will be invited to apply. Try this calculator to see what points you get - https://www.canadavisa.com/comprehensive-ranking-score-calculator.html

Anything higher than 450 points stand a good chance of being invited. Anything lower then there might be some waiting involved.

I don't want to overload you with information so that's it for now. Let us know how you get along...

Best of luck.

• Like 3

johan1980

Thank you so much MaryJane. I followed the links you gave me. 

The site showed that I do qualify for express entry but on the second link I scored 360....

So what now? ????

MaryJane

Okay, now you'll have to look at alternatives. 360 is pretty low. You'll be on the Express Entry pool for a while with that score.

There is another way to come into Canada aside from the EE. You could try going through the provincial nomination (PNP) route. This is when you apply to a province to nominate you to come to Canada. Slightly longer timeline, and sometimes costs slightly higher as well.

Canada has many provinces and you'll have to see where you would have the highest chance to get in.

You could also start looking at PNPs here - http://www.sacanada.org/topic/20028-provincial-nominee-programs-2016/

• Like 1

johan1980

Thank you so much for your help.

One more ? Please. Is there a way to raise your score?

MaryJane

The easiest is to get full marks for the language tests.

Another would be to get provincial nomination (medium level in difficulty) or a job offer (higher level in difficulty without being in Canada). A lot of the lower-scoring applicants have gone through the PNP route so this is definitely a viable option for you.

Further studies could be another way but it's a two-edge sword since if you want to do further studies, it needs to be a year's worth, and as you grow older each year, you lose 5 points on your EE score.

I wish we could turn back the hands of time, be younger :-) that would solve part of the problem.

Other ways to get into Canada without going through EE is one of you can study something in Canada. This is a more expensive route so I don't normally recommend this right off the bat.

Anyways, all the best!

• Like 2

FaithFUL
20 hours ago, johan1980 said:

Are you married or planning on bringing your partner along.

20 hours ago, johan1980 said:

Johan1980 are you planning on coming over by yourself or is there a special someone that will be joining you?

johan1980

Hi. Yes there are. My wife (also an Officer) and two children 8yrs and 10yrs. Can't leave them behind. Lol.

FaithFUL

Hee hee, I don't think she would be too pleased!

She can boost your points by also writing the IELTS score & have her ECA assessment done. If she scores high in the IELTS your points are boosted by a nice 20 points.

By getting her ECA assessment done she will contribute to another few points for education. It all costs money, but hey, it's worth a try!

Added: if you guys are over 30, have the same qualification "value" & your wife is a few years younger than you then consider having her as the EE applicant. You lose 5 points for every blinking year over 30!

Edited by WannaB Expat

johan1980

Thank you so much for the advice

Nelline

I can add only one thing and that is that you're correct in needing PR to be a police officer over here.  Also, you'll probably need to "re-train" for 3 months and go where ever they post you. But - salaries and benefits are great! 

• Like 1