Sign in to follow this  
ChrisG

Toronto (Pearson Airport)

ChrisG

Hey guys

Just an update from my side and I thought I'd share our landing experience.

Firstly we departed from Durban to Toronto via Dubai. Prepare yourself for some emotions as we had my dad and mother in law there and it was pretty tough leaving them behind. After that we had to go through passport control. Now I was expecting some questions or something at least but we had nothing. The guy just checked our passports and let us go.

A full 8 hours later we were in Dubai. Now one amazing thing about Dubai and about Emirates is the fact that data on their flights are super cheap and in Dubai airport it's free. Emirates charge $1 for 500mb. After that we had to go through a passport check with Emirates just to check if we are good to go. They do random checks on your electronics (e.g. laptops, cellphones and anything else so make sure it is charged).

The flight between Dubai and Toronto is 13 hours and 10 minutes. I'll be honest, that was pretty long but luckily we were on the A380 and the space inside is amazing. The flight was quite nice and the service on Emirates was awesome. Got amazing food and lots to drink.

We landed at Pearson at around 15:45 on the Monday (11 April 2016). We had to fill in a declaration card on the flight with everything that is with us and whether we have anything that will be following. My wife and I only had the stuff on our backs so luckily nothing too complicated. After we got off the flight there was a brief check of our passports by the Canadian police (everyone had to do so) and then we were off to passport control. We had to go stand in the Canadian resident queue (felt awesome!). There was a lot of people as a few flights had landed in addition to ours. It all went by pretty quickly. We got to the front of the queue and the officer just asked us if it was our first time landing, did a few things and told us to go to immigration. Funny remark he made was that it was going to be a long day for us. I told my wife to prepare for 4 hours of waiting and filling out forms (as is the norm at home).

We went to immigration and there were a few other people landing as well. Got to the front of the queue and the guy only asked for our COPR document and nothing else. Told us to take a seat and not even 5 minutes had passed and he asked us to come back. All done. No questions asked and we had our PR status confirmed. There was another guy waiting for us after this asking us if we need to get SIN numbers. He took us on a little tour and got us a Welcome to Canada bag with some goodies inside. We went to get our SIN numbers which again only took about 5 minutes and it was done!

After this we had gone down to get our luggage (which by the way we were pretty nervous about as it had been down there for a while now). Got there and our bags were safely off the ramp and just standing there. We picked it up and went to the customs line. The customs officer looked at our declaration card and asked us how much CAD we have on us. Gave him a figure and he said have a lovely stay in Canada.

The whole process including all the queues at the Airport took an hour. I'd say the immigration itself was at most 30 minutes if it was even that long. My brother picked us up at 17:15 and obviously now a week later we are happily settled in here. We have opened up bank accounts, registered for OHIP and various other little admin things you do when you get here. We're taking it easy while we are looking for jobs and luckily my brother has quite a nice house and they kitted out the basement for us to live in while we get up and running.

All in all we are very happy so far. Canada so far is amazing and doing everything here is so simple compared to back home. The only thing I'm missing at the moment is my family but luckily we'll bring them over soon.

Here is just a pic of the neighbourhood we are living in (Oakville). 12998166_10153284678026324_2883166591860

• Like 12

MaryJane

Welcome home. :)

• Like 3

ChrisG

Thanks :) Starting to feel like home the more we go out. We had an outing to the park the other day and it felt so weird. There are free tennis courts etc. and the one couple left the stroller with the baby inside while they were playing with their other kid. I was standing there just in awe of how relaxed everyone is. It's a bit surreal but that is the way it should be in life :)

• Like 6

Nelline

Yup, I remember being in immigration and then proceeding to the carousel for the luggage... 2 hours later... and the luggage included 3 dogs on crates! I was seriously worried but some angelic soul had lifted them off the carousel and they were none the worse for wear! 

Happy landings!

• Like 3

Raquel

Wow @ChrisG landed already! Super exciting for you guys! :ilikeit: congratulations! 

• Like 3

FaithFUL

Enjoy every minute! B)

These landing stories keeps me going.

• Like 2

LeeVW

How awesome... Enjoy your new home life... Please update some more with pics etc.. love hearing and seeing it all

• Like 2

jones

@ChrisG Congrats, must say I am quite green after seeing that picture. With Grace we will also land in Toronto this year. Please keep the pics and posts going! 

• Like 2

Druce

Congratulations @ChrisG, it is great to read about peoples experience landing, cant wait for my turn :P

• Like 3

Leany85

So happy for you guys! This will be us on 16 August. Please keep sharing your experiences. 

• Like 1

ChrisG

Yeah. The airport has free wifi so if you want to notify family or anything that you are safe, that is a sure bet to do so via whatsapp or skype.

MissFrowz

Welcome Chris! I'm glad you and your wife arrived safely and are settling in well. It's so good to have family to stay with while you get settled!

• Like 1

Qrios1

Awesome news Chris. So happy for you and your wife. Real motivation for us still in the process! Please keep us updated want to know more about your "soft landing" :lol:

• Like 1

reshie108

Hi @ChrisG.. so glad to hear that you guys have landed safely,

I cant wait till its my turn. :)

Good luck with setting into your new home...

• Like 1

Jules

Welcome home. May all your plans be super blessed!

• Like 2