Sign in to follow this  
Cathy K

Worst country to raise kids.

Cathy K

South Africa has been named as the worst country in the world to raise school-going children aged between five and 14.

South Africa’s 76.94 out of 100000 schoolchildren who died was far higher than in the Congo and Somalia, which are at 12 and eight deaths per 100000 respectively;

More South Africa schoolchildren died than anywhere else in the world with 76.94 deaths per 100000, compared to the UK which was at 8.92 and the US at 12.97. These figures included infanticide;

South Africa was ranked second for small arms possession, higher than the US and UK.

Edited by Cathy K
  • Like 3

Nettie

This is horrific.

Makes me think about the conversation I had with the janitor at work the other evening.... He is a Chemistry Professor from Algeria, who works here cleaning offices (in our case, the medical clinic). He was talking about how proud he is of his kids and their accomplishments and then said that that is the reason why we immigrate- for our kids and I heartily agreed with him. That was also our motivation for the big move. I always say it was the best decision I ever made. The reason is because of this.

I'm concerned for my sister's grand kids. My sister also wanted to emmigrate when we did but decided to stay in SA. Now, 20 years later, the paw paw is hitting the fan. She and her husband is now retirement age. I don't know how this is going to end and it makes my heart heavy for them.

• Like 3

Chris Roos

My little girl would disappear for hours on her horse,my biggest worry was dogs. Till she could handle a rifle I didn't worry anymore. She would only get in trouble for riding in neighbours crops. For the most part we watched out for neighbours kids. I can't believe it's so bad in SA.where I live is 45km from  Winnipeg. Close to work but far enough from city to let the kids run. Good place to raise kids in Canada. If the winters are too long just take a holiday south every year. Lots of people do. 

• Like 5

LJT

I have to agree with all of you, SA is terrifying as a parent.

Giving my daughter a wonderful life and good education is the number one reason for me wanting to immigrate!

• Like 4

Chris Roos

Another cool thing about Canada is if you call the police they will Come. It doesn't matter what color he is he will do his job. Especially in Winnipeg. We have a good police force. No need to live in fear here. 

• Like 4

MaryJane
4 hours ago, Chris Roos said:

Another cool thing about Canada is if you call the police they will Come. It doesn't matter what color he is he will do his job. Especially in Winnipeg. We have a good police force. No need to live in fear here. 

Chris, you made me chuckle there when you mentioned calling the police and them responding. I had a house break-in a decade ago in South Africa and I remembered calling the police to come and I was told, "Er, we can't come right now. We don't have any police cars available." :o This was funny (in a very sarcastic way) because I lived a block away from the police station and in my mind at the time, they could have hoofed it on foot to my place. They came 2 days later to take fingerprints and that was the last I heard of that. I look back on it now but it was not so cool at the time, in light of we were very shaken by the whole experience.

I'm very glad to be in Canada indeed.

• Like 1

Raquel

@MaryJane you will be lucky now if they answer the phone at the police station when you call now! No jokes.

We had an incident recently where we called them a number of times and the phone just rang. We eventually drove over there and the employees were all sitting around having a chat while phone just rang! :(