Sign in to follow this  
Nelline

Recent experience with healthcare in Canada

Nelline

Just thought I'd share our recent Healthcare experience. @Vizsla started showing 'flu symptoms on Sunday morning. Let me just add that he NEVER gets ill - well maybe the odd cold but that's it - and never takes time off from work. The last time I remember him taking time off was in 2009 I believe - for a gall bladder operation (with complications), he was booked off for 2 weeks but stayed away for 1 week only, after which he got a lift in with a colleague as he couldn't drive yet. That's how he rolls.

Anyway, he doggedly persevered with coping with the symptoms of a "proper 'flu" for a couple of days, extreme temps, pounding head, body that could scarcely move without pain, cough, until I made him see a doctor on Tuesday. Walk-in clinic as we still don't have a family GP, but you can book your slot online and they text you when you should leave the house. Doctor said he should be ok just to persevere with "nursing the 'flu" i.e. treating the symptoms and giving the body a chance to cope with the virus but he wanted to see him again on the Thursday as he wasn't happy with the sound of the left lung. Long story short, he gradually got worse, went back today, saw a different doctor, this time one who is a full time ER doc, who asked all the right questions, did the "vital signs" tests and promptly prescribed anti-biotics and a chest x-ray. Got the x-ray within an hour at the QEH, and he's now home and resting.

Should he have been prescribed anti-biotics on the Tuesday already? Probably, but then, we're both fans of "you only take anti-biotics as a last resort, because one day, you're gonna really need them and they won't work anymore" 

Bottom line - he got the right treatment in a conservative way, and it cost us... not a cent. Add up - two GP consultations, antibiotics and a chest x-ray and it equals = $0.00 

Yes, I realise we pay taxes, and extra health insurance for meds, dental and optometrics. But it is a drop in the ocean compared to SA healthcare. 

• Like 7

FaithFUL

Love the fact that you can an appointment online & then wait for the sms :ilikeit:

• Like 2

Nelline
6 hours ago, WannaB Expat said:

Love the fact that you can an appointment online & then wait for the sms :ilikeit:

Much better than having to sit there for hours - plus you're not exposed to other germs for an extended period. Makes sense. 

• Like 2

Raquel

Thanks for sharing @Nelline! Gives me hope! ;):ilikeit: 

• Like 1

Nelline

As a follow-up - he feels much better, though still shaky - those antibiotics have really kicked in now
It is Sat afternoon - Just had a phone call from the Doc he saw on Thursday, wanting to check how he was and to ask if he could go and have another chest x-ray in 2 weeks' time, to check that the pneumonia has gone completely. 

Good, eh?

• Like 3