Sign in to follow this  
Joo$y

PR Applicants Oct & Nov15

MaryJane
5 hours ago, gripen said:

There's a business opportunity here for someone in Canada to receive PR cards and courier them to SA... kind of like Postbox Courier. I don't have a Canadian address - will hopefully try a friend of a friend and ask them to courier it to SA (as you need it to enter the country the next time you land...). I'm not planning to go and stay for now - so need to come back. 

Might not be viable.....

CIC has informed some people (I will not confirm since I'm not one of them but I will not disregard this) that there is a possibility of PR cards being seized if found.

http://discuss.settlement.org/topic16019-can-my-friend-courier-my-pr-card-to-me-abroad.aspx

You take on the risk if it gets lost, etc. and whatever else. Chances are slim but you never know.....

JeffH
7 hours ago, Druce said:

Why are you planning to come back, why not finish your business here and go over for good?

That's a valid question - mainly because I doubt I will be able to secure a job before I go over as I won't have the SIN number and pretty unlikely to be hired without a personal interview. So the first trip (costly as it is) will be a holiday / investigation / setting up/ job interview trip. This also gives me time to wind things up in SA. Then again if I am lucky to get a decent job offer, I will go across sooner. I don't plan to emigrate to Canada without a job - otherwise I may as well stay in SA and hold onto my current one for as long as I can ^_^

Any suggestions on good job hunting web sites or recruiters or services that help you find opportunities (especially for South Africans) remotely? I have only registered with the Job Bank thus far and am yet to see a decent job on there. 

GrantM
22 minutes ago, gripen said:

I won't have the SIN number

Takes 5 minutes and you will probably only be asked for it on your first day at work.

24 minutes ago, gripen said:

I don't plan to emigrate to Canada without a job - otherwise I may as well stay in SA and hold onto my current one for as long as I can ^_^

Please don't take this the wrong way... But if all immigrants in Canada had that attitude then there would be hardly anyone in Canada. From what I understand having a job lined up before you arrive in Canada is very uncommon (unless you are on a work permit that required LMIA) and I really hope that you find something while you are here to activate your PR.

For me, I'd rather be safe and sound but unemployed for a month or two in Canada than in SA in it's current state. That is easy for me to say because I came over without work and found a job and it seems to be going ok, other people have not been so lucky.

• Like 5

JeffH

@MaryJane  Thanks! I'll start searching more aggressively now and try also set up appointments with some local recruiters (In Toronto, as that's where I would like to move to)

@GrantM Points taken but my reason for moving is not to run away from SA, my life here is pretty good as it is, but rather to find a better life (defined in a few ways). If I were to only be unemployed for a month or 2 guaranteed I could easily move but don't want to end up worse off i.e. eating up my life's savings while I look for work (unlikely but not impossible). Plan B is to pack up and move over in Q2 2017 - this gives me time to build up a bigger savings fund for when I do go over without having a job (the more likely scenario). If Plan A materialises and I'm lucky enough to get a decent job offer, different story, then I'll move across straight away. That all said, I'm debating this in my mind every day - the "holiday" is quite expensive etc but I guess, the 2nd time round it is a one way flight. 

PaulD

Raquel, I assume you still have not heard anything? Did you end up sending off a CSE? 

Did you ask : "Why the hell  they are taking so long??!", in a more polite way of course...

or did you just ask for an update of where you are in the process?

Raquel

@PaulD yes I'm still waiting to hear ANYTHING! Sent a CSE on Tuesday last week and am yet to get any response besides and auto response saying they'll revert back within 10 business days. I believe it took them 7 weeks to respond to someone else who sent a CSE to Pretoria.

I basically pointed out the fact that I have past the 6 month mark and haven't had any movement on my file in over 5 months. I would appreciate an update of where we are and an approximate timeline to completion... 

I received my notes last week and everything appears in order except that the last time anyone touched my file was when it was transferred to Pretoria on 28/11/2015. Neither criminality, security or eligibility has been started / passed yet! So in summary... I'm not sure when I'll hear something about my file! ?

• Like 1

MaryJane

Hi @Raquel, was there a bring forward (BF) date?

Druce

Hey, I read on the canadavisa forum that I can link my paper based application (ecas) to a mycic account. I have done this successfully and this is what I can see under my application status:

Application/profile status Open Help
Review of eligibility Review in Progress Help
Review of medical results Not needed at this time Help
Review of submitted documents   Help
Scheduling an interview Not needed at this time Help
A background check is needed Not Started Help
Final decision Not Started Help

Does this mean they have eventually started on my application?!?!:lol:    

PaulD
2 hours ago, Raquel said:

@PaulD yes I'm still waiting to hear ANYTHING! Sent a CSE on Tuesday last week and am yet to get any response besides and auto response saying they'll revert back within 10 business days. I believe it took them 7 weeks to respond to someone else who sent a CSE to Pretoria.

I basically pointed out the fact that I have past the 6 month mark and haven't had any movement on my file in over 5 months. I would appreciate an update of where we are and an approximate timeline to completion... 

I received my notes last week and everything appears in order except that the last time anyone touched my file was when it was transferred to Pretoria on 28/11/2015. Neither criminality, security or eligibility has been started / passed yet! So in summary... I'm not sure when I'll hear something about my file! ?

This is interesting.  I assumed that the processing for express applications would mostly be handled in Canada, with only the passport request handled by Pretoria.  Might not make a difference but it Pretoria is overloaded, or just inefficient, we will have to wait and wait.

Are your notes up to the current date?

Nothing done since November? that be crazy!

• Like 1

Raquel
2 hours ago, MaryJane said:

Hi @Raquel, was there a bring forward (BF) date?

I can't see any BF date, the only due date I can seem to find is under "application assignment" where it seems one agent assigned it to another with a due date with of 27/12/2015! One month after transfer to Pretoria... Guess that date was never stick to it seems...

41 minutes ago, PaulD said:

This is interesting.  I assumed that the processing for express applications would mostly be handled in Canada, with only the passport request handled by Pretoria.  Might not make a difference but it Pretoria is overloaded, or just inefficient, we will have to wait and wait.

Are your notes up to the current date?

Nothing done since November? that be crazy!

My notes are up to 7 April 2015, it takes 30 days to receive them after request so they are as updated as they'd get! 

Yip, seems nothing was done after it was transferred to Pretoria... :( 

• Like 1

Druce

@Raquel, nothing was started on my GCMS notes that I received April. But today it shows on mycic that my Review for Eligibility is in progress. I really hope this means that they have started to process my application.

Maybe they have started on yours as well this month?

What does your status look like on mycic?

Raquel

@Druce I believe the eligibility goes into progress once the file is opened and only changes to closed once the visas are issued. 

My status is as follows and has remained as such since 25/11/2015:

image.png

Edited by Raquel

Druce

It sucks to be us:angry:. I really hoped that they have now started with my application.

Well, look at it this way, at least your medicals are done and dusted, I still need to do mine. So you will be finished before me and you started with this process way later than I did :P

All we can do is wait in good faith:rolleyes:

jones

Sigh Quel! I login daily just to check your status. Hope you get sorted soon. Btw when last did you request notes ? 

Raquel

@Druceit does suck, we've just gotta hang on my friend! 

@jones thanks so much for the support... Appreciate and hang in there too! :) I requested notes on 6 April 2015. Thought it would prompt the cic to pick up my file, but it didn't.

Edited by Raquel

Druce

It sucks to be us:angry:. I really hoped that they have now started with my application.

Well, look at it this way, at least your medicals are done and dusted, I still need to do mine. So you will be finished before me and you started with this process way later than I did :P

All we can do is wait in good faith:rolleyes:

GrantM
3 hours ago, Druce said:

Well, look at it this way, at least your medicals are done and dusted, I still need to do mine. So you will be finished before me and you started with this process way later than I did

I actually think that is in your favour. You have to land within 1 year of you medicals, it will give you more time compared to Raquel who may have to leave at the drop of a hat (although I know that girl is ready to fly like yesterday :) )

• Like 5

Druce
42 minutes ago, GrantM said:

I actually think that is in your favour. You have to land within 1 year of you medicals, it will give you more time compared to Raquel who may have to leave at the drop of a hat (although I know that girl is ready to fly like yesterday :) )

Well, that is another way of looking at it...

I wanted to do upfront medicals but i guess waiting for the request is also a good option, it might just count in my favor at the end of the day (read beginning of the day:P)

• Like 1

Raquel

So the expiry of medicals got me thinking about an array of expiry items that I need some comments on please :) :

1- our medicals, hubby and I (as already mentioned) and my IELTS expire in Nov. I really do hope my file is wrapped up way before then, but suppose it isn't- do they need to be redone or do we wait for CIC to request them to be redone?

2- I am more concerned about our police clearances, the ones we submitted in Nov for PR were 5 months old and already renewed once as we needed them for OOPNP back in June. So they were "valid" (less than 6 months  old) according to Canadian standards on submission-so no worries there. Now when I last visited the High Commision in Pretoria, I overheard a lady telling an applicant that their police clearance had expired and they are only valid for 1 year, according to RSA standards. So mine are currently still valid is RSA. Now again, suppose the application is not wrapped up by June, should I just be proactive and apply for them now or wait for a possible request?

3- and then a bit of a funny that I think has not happened yet and I cannot seem to find an answer too... The EE profile is only valid for one year from creation date. Does this rule still apply if you have a pending visa application? If so I may have trouble as a) my EE profile expires around 10th June 2016 and B) my OOPNP certificate has already expired on in April 2016?? Any thoughts?

PaulD
On 5/12/2016 at 8:16 AM, Raquel said:

So the expiry of medicals got me thinking about an array of expiry items that I need some comments on please :) :

1- our medicals, hubby and I (as already mentioned) and my IELTS expire in Nov. I really do hope my file is wrapped up way before then, but suppose it isn't- do they need to be redone or do we wait for CIC to request them to be redone?

2- I am more concerned about our police clearances, the ones we submitted in Nov for PR were 5 months old and already renewed once as we needed them for OOPNP back in June. So they were "valid" (less than 6 months  old) according to Canadian standards on submission-so no worries there. Now when I last visited the High Commision in Pretoria, I overheard a lady telling an applicant that their police clearance had expired and they are only valid for 1 year, according to RSA standards. So mine are currently still valid is RSA. Now again, suppose the application is not wrapped up by June, should I just be proactive and apply for them now or wait for a possible request?

3- and then a bit of a funny that I think has not happened yet and I cannot seem to find an answer too... The EE profile is only valid for one year from creation date. Does this rule still apply if you have a pending visa application? If so I may have trouble as a) my EE profile expires around 10th June 2016 and B) my OOPNP certificate has already expired on in April 2016?? Any thoughts?

Moenie worry!  I think we can safely assume that CIC will have a lock in date when the app was received.  As long as all was valid on that day nothing needs updating even if they take 10 years...and you know I am joking.  

Better to resort to jokes than tears...'tho I sure will be crying buckets if they tell me after 6 months that there is a problem with my application!

• Like 2

NostalgiaNut

Hi everyone! Just joined this forum after stumbling across it on the net while looking for other South Africans trying for Canada. Actually I joined 12 days back. Took them this long to approve my account! God knows why. :P

I'm another one of those poor unfortunate souls stuck here due to Pretoria's seeming laziness. My AOR is from Nov 12th, 2015. Except for medicals being passed, nothing has progressed in my appln according to myCIC. Background check is still "Not Started". I believe my case is similar to Raquel's over here. Been reading this forum over the last 12 days, so I know all your usernames now! ;)

I ordered GCMS notes at end of March and got it mid-April and it showed that Eligibility final approval was still pending, but it had been checked by Ottawa and everything sounded fine. I didn't know that they leave something crucial like final approval of Eligibility for the local VO to do (???). Also, my file was transferred by Ottawa to Pretoria in Dec 2015! And they seem to have done nothing since then! Or at least they haven't updated me on anything. It feels like either they are sleeping or there is some system glitch of some sort where they are possibly unable to see that our files are waiting or something. I don't know. It is very very strange why a local VO would not touch so many files for 5+ months. Isn't that an extremely inefficient thing to do?

Anyway guys, I would like to network with you all through this testing and trying time. And maybe we could still keep in touch into our journey into Canada.

MaryJane

Glad you eventually got validated @NostalgiaNut! All the best for the future.

Druce

Welcome @NostalgiaNut. I am also not sure what CHC PTA is up to...

I sent a CSE to them regarding PCC and it took them +- a month to respond. At least I now know they are aware that they have my file and that I am waiting for them.

The waiting game is killing me and I would probably have to wait a couple of months longer than you EE applicants.

Well, no one said it will be all smooth sailing, sunshine, honey and roses so we have to suck it up, hold our chins up high and smile. Anything worth while does not come easy...

NostalgiaNut
1 hour ago, MaryJane said:

Glad you eventually got validated @NostalgiaNut! All the best for the future.

Thank you. :)

8 minutes ago, Druce said:

Welcome @NostalgiaNut. I am also not sure what CHC PTA is up to...

I sent a CSE to them regarding PCC and it took them +- a month to respond. At least I now know they are aware that they have my file and that I am waiting for them.

The waiting game is killing me and I would probably have to wait a couple of months longer than you EE applicants.

Well, no one said it will be all smooth sailing, sunshine, honey and roses so we have to suck it up, hold our chins up high and smile. Anything worth while does not come easy...

True but my main issue with them is, the total lack of updates. I do not actually mind waiting for a few more months as long as I know for sure that they even KNOW about my application! It seems as though they are completely oblivious to the fact that Ottawa has transferred my application to them... because there are ZERO updates since the file was transferred in Dec 2015 (according to GCMS notes). I am just afraid that the file is going to rot in their office forever and Ottawa has washed their hands off already. Ugh, at least give us some sort of update that you are working on it! That's all I ask.