Sign in to follow this  
MaryJane

Canada Aims to Welcome up to 305,000 new PRs in 2016

MaryJane

The government of Canada has set an ambitious target in its 2016 Immigration Levels Plan, aiming to welcome up to 305,000 new permanent residents over the course of this year across a range of economic, family, and refugee/humanitarian immigration categories.

This is the first time in many years where a Canadian government has set a target of 300,000 or greater.

The 2015 immigration level target was 280,000.

Economic Programs (includes PNP, FSW, FST, CEC, etc.) - it is between 151,200 to 162,400

Family Class (includes spouses, parents and grandparents, etc.) - it is between 75,000 - 82,000

Refugees, Protected Persons, Humanitarian - 53,800 - 60,600

For further breakdown and more of the story, click here - http://www.canadavisa.com/news/canada-aims-to-welcome-up-to-305-000-new-permanent-residents-in-2016-across-all-immigration-categories.html

• Like 4

Lizelle

Hmm, Economic Class seems to be down.  Will be interesting to see what the draw looks like tomorrow (hopefully)

Druce

Hope I can contribute to filling these target:rolleyes:

• Like 3

MaryJane
8 hours ago, Lizelle said:

Hmm, Economic Class seems to be down. 

Yes, the bulk of the decrease seems to be coming from Federal Economic High Skilled (which includes programs like FSW, FST, CEC). In 2015, the level was about 74k and for 2016, it is only 58,400. This is a 21% decrease, give or take.

Here are more info from CIC.

Canada's 2016 Immigration Levels Plan
Key Highlights - 2016 Immigration Levels Plan
Supplementary Information - 2016 Immigration Levels Plan

Timmie23

Damn. Not the news I was waiting for...

• Like 1

PsyCLown

I'd love to assist them in reaching that figure! Would not mind becoming a statistic in this case!

If they'd change their family sponsorship a bit so that my family in Canada could sponsor, would make life a lot easier for me :P  Doubt that'll happen though :(

Lizelle

Bugger, bugger, bugger.  

Latest draw - 473 and they are down to 1000 instead of 1500

Determination — number of invitations

1. (1) For the purposes of paragraph 10.2(1)(b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the number of invitations that may be issued during the period beginning on March 9, 2016 and ending on March 10, 2016 is1,013.

Required rank

(2) Foreign nationals who, on March 9, 2016 at 13:11:07 UTC, have been assigned a total of 473 points or more 

MaryJane

And so it starts.

Exactly as they have said regarding the # of economic applicants that will go through EE, it will be a little strange if CIC can maintain 1,500 invites every 2 weeks and allow only 21% less this year.

It would be interesting to see how low the points go down (I've been saying this since last year).

reshie108

interesting change, I wonder why the decline in invitations issued...im hoping cos they need to work on their current applicants in the system that are awaiting PR.

• Like 2

Wolverine

I was watching the news yesterday over TVA, and there was a news bar saying Ottawa wants more refugees and less skilled workers. 

Any reason why?? take guesses

corwes

It might be faster to take the refugee route. You just need to go camping in Turkey for 2 or 3 months. I hear they have nice beaches.

• Like 1

Wolverine

What you are saying is also true, it's faster to get refugees here, since some maritimes provinces are begging for people to come and settle there, the population is old and the provinces are getting empty.

However, i also think Canada just want refugees more cos they can easily take the low-paid jobs that skilled workers are reluctants to take.

Nettie

In today's newspaper:

http://ottawacitizen.com/technology/tech-biz/canada-isnt-producing-enough-tech-grads-to-fill-thousands-of-upcoming-jobs-research-says

If you're career is in technology, you are on the right track

The only reason I can think of why Ottawa wants more refugees than skilled workers, is probably that they have "enough" skilled workers here. Keep in mind that a lot of immigrants and refugees are well educated and can get those kind of jobs in Ottawa. Bilingualism is very big here and a lot of refugees and immigrants from Africa speak French. So if you are in a field where you need to work with the public, it will certainly help if you can speak French. There are lots of opportunities that I cannot apply for because of this "preferred" qualification. I am a nurse and if I knew about this situation, I wouldn't have settled here. I have a job an hour south of Ottawa, where French isn't required. Yes, it doesn't sound right, but that's the way the cookie crumbles in the capital city.

B)

FaithFUL
9 hours ago, Wolverine said:

What you are saying is also true, it's faster to get refugees here, since some maritimes provinces are begging for people to come and settle there, the population is old and the provinces are getting empty.

However, i also think Canada just want refugees more cos they can easily take the low-paid jobs that skilled workers are reluctants to take.

Interesting comment regarding the Maritimes considering they're not making it easy for immigrants to come over. PEI seems shy with their ITA. For NB have you have to connections or have attended an information session in some far away country. NS has yet to open their Demand stream for this year. I'd LOVE to settle in NS or PEI, there's something about these places that just seems right for our family.