Sign in to follow this  
Chambersfam

Unabridged birth certificates - parent's ID no's blank?!

Chambersfam

So after sitting at Home Affairs for hours applying for my husband and my unabridged birth certificates (I've got unabridged birth certs for our kids, but thought I'd get ours in case we need them later on in the process) and waiting for a few weeks, I collected them yesterday. Only to find that where our parents' ID numbers are supposed to be, there is simply a dotted line, i.e. no ID numbers for them, just a blank! Naturally I queried this and was told that the South African Green ID books had not yet been issued when my husband and I were born (we are 43 and 40 years old, respectively), therefore our parents did not have valid ID numbers to be inserted onto the birth certificates.

Has anyone else on this forum had this (rather bizarre?!) experience, and do you have any advice regarding what the implications are with respect to the application process and what I should do about it? (We are still in the early stages - my husband has received his WES credentials, I'm waiting for mine, and we're writing IELTS this Saturday.)

MaryJane

There shouldn't be an issue if the ID number is not on the certificate. The names of the parents are the important part.

Speaking from experience but not exactly the same situation as you. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Raquel

I have come across this a number of times - I think it was actually on this forum.

I am not sure what to make of it, but I have read about this a few times - if that makes you feel slightly better :)

Qrios1

I was told it all depends on what info is at hand at the department of home affairs. My wife is 32 and her parents ID no's didn't appear. My parents' were there. I don't think it's a big issue personally. Besides for EE the important one is the children's but for PNP, family sponsorships the adult unabridged bc will be required. 

Chambersfam

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling much calmer about this following your feedback. One small step at a time! 

• Like 1

FaithFUL

My husbands' unabridged also did not have his parents ID numbers on it but mine did. Strangely enough, their names & ID numbers appeared on his original (hand written) birth certificate but those ID numbers have fewer digits than their new ID numbers.

Marelke Roux

May I please jump on this thread?

My husbands father is unknown to us, and has never been registered at HA and therefore his unabridged birth certificate only has his mothers details, and nothing for his father. Is this an issue?

In my opinion, this should not be an issue. I would type up a letter to explain it and accompany the certificates.

bond007

Hi every one...

I did my application for PR. My application is in its final stage. Pretoria VO requested Unabridged birth certificate of my daughter.  When SHE was born , relationship was not steady and the mother registered under her name and mentioned father as unknown. However I have maintenance order in place since than as well as the lawyer's letter who helped with visiting rights. I had already submitted those.  

I also applied for that unabridged birth certificate which I am still waiting. Although my name is not on there. Can I submit that to Pretoria VO along with the affidavit from the mother stating I am the biological father. 

Please advise me. As the insertion if details in the Unabridged birth certificate will take months. 

Nettie

Hi @bond007 I am sorry about the predicament you are finding yourself in. I won't claim to be an expert on this, however, i haven't seen any one with a similar situation on here. Perhaps I just missed it? Anyhow, I would say this is a situation where you need legal assistance to make sure you file the right documents the first time. Because, if you file something in error, you could find yourself appealing, in stead of just explaining. Even if your departure from SA is a bit delayed, it would still be much easier to get all the right documents from and to the right people, while you are still there. Good luck with everything.

Nettie
On 6/6/2018 at 10:18 AM, bond007 said:

Please advise me. As the insertion if details in the Unabridged birth certificate will take months. 

If this is at all possible, I would do this, if I were you. Otherwise you may look at having to prove your relationship with your daughter in other ways, until you have this. Proving your relationship, may or may not, include affidavits from more family members (aunts, uncles, grandparents from both sides of the family), clergy, colleagues, anyone you can think of, plus loads of pictures with the date and place it was taken on the back, to prove that you were in her life and she in yours until now. It could mean a lifetime of doing this when going through e.g. government - or school processes, vs waiting a few months to have your name added. Plus the passport to get her to visit/accompany you- that's going to be hard without your name on the birth certificate. That's a big piece that's missing. I would fix that asap.

- not legal advice -