Sign in to follow this  
MoMo

WES and postage

MoMo

Hi All

I've sent through the WES forms to UKZN for Academic Transcripts / Records. As clearly indicated by WES, these documents need to be sent by the University directly to WES. Now, given the state with our local postal service, I have asked the university to use a courier service which I will pay for. The university said that I should arrange the courier to pickup.

Now, would this be viewed as me, the applicant, sending the documents or the university?

Has anyone used the local postal service recently for this purpose? If yes, what were your results and timing for the delivery to WES?

Thanks!

Edited by MoMo

MaryJane

The university is sending the document right? You are just arranging for the courier? If so, then this should be fine then? I think that is still considered the institution sending off the document, as long as the university stamps on the document and if possible on the envelope to show it as untampered with.

My experience with university and WES and SAPO is that it took them between 4-6 weeks to get there. But that was back in 2012.

You can provide all the instructions to the university on what is to be done and you can send a courier company to collect the document (as described by @MaryJane) . They will then put it into a courier bag / cardboard package holder and ship it to WES. 

You will be wasting your time with the post office as it may never get there... 

MoMo

Thank you MaryJane & AshB for your comments. Appreciated.

JennyVee

Hi MoMo

I'm (hopefully) on the tail end of the WES process at the moment, and for what it's worth, here's how it's gone for me, sending off from two different universities:

I used DHL to collect from the former RAU and deliver to WES, and in 3 days I got confirmation that all was received in order. I also used DHL to collect from UNISA and send to WES, and in three days I got notified that I had to resend, because the envelope had been opened. 

However you end up sending the docs, I guess just make super sure that the university's envelope is sealed when it reaches WES.

Best of luck to you!

Jeanne-M

Hi all, 

I hope this doesn't count as hijacking this thread, but has anyone successfully used registered mail to send their documents to WES? I sent my husband's academic transcripts (in a sealed and stamped envelope from Unisa) by registered mail about two weeks ago because the courier fees would have been around R800, while registered mail was only ~R80. Should I be worried about this envelope? I've tracked it down to JHB international mail centre where it was scanned on 29/01/2016. Should I rather have couriered it in spite of the fee? 

Nettie

Some of my documents have been refused in the past because of:

1) I arranged the courier delivery and thought I'd help my employer by filling out the courier waybill (they rejected it because they recognised the handwriting on the waybill was different from the envelope).

2) The envelope of the letter that was put in the courier envelope, wasn't sealed and signed.

Therefore:

Make sure if you use a courier, that you don't touch those waybill forms, you could perhaps just pay extra to have the University handle the courier service.

Make sure that the envelope, before sent to (whichever institution) is sealed (licked, plakked and cellotaped) before signing over the seal. (One of their employees has to sign over the seal). A stamp of the institution over the seal is also useful.

Good luck with your endevours.

Edited by Nettie

Nettie
12 minutes ago, Jeanne-M said:

Hi all, 

I hope this doesn't count as hijacking this thread, but has anyone successfully used registered mail............ 

I tried Registered Mail before coughing up the money for courier. I had to re-send everything, so my suggestion would be to just go with a courier service and save yourself some frustration. :)

• Like 1

Jeanne-M

Thanks, @Nettie!

Looks like I'll be off to UNISA tomorrow for round 2. 

Nettie

@Jeanne-M I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that may be the case. Give it another 2 weeks/10 business days and if they haven't received the documents by then, you know it's time to redo. I did a lot of running back and forth with various parts of the process so I know how frustrating it could be. Just think once you're here, things will go smoother. :) 

• Like 1

Jeanne-M

Thanks for the help, @Nettie! You're right, it will all be worth it in the end but I wish I had just been willing to cough up the money for the courier the first time round! So we live and learn:blink:

MaryJane

Hi @Jeanne-M, I think it approximately takes 4 weeks to get to WES from SA using snail mail. Registered mail only gives you tracking up to the International Mail Hub in JHB and then it's....tracking no more.

Do you need it quite urgently or can you wait another 2 weeks before doing the courier process? I'd agree with @Nettie about giving it another week or 2 if you're not really that much in a hurry. But if you are, then you'll probably have to do it now.

All the best.

• Like 2

Jeanne-M

Hi @MaryJane, we're in such a hurry to create our EE profile that I'll probably go back to UNISA tomorrow to courier everything (unless my husband thinks we should rather try to save $$$ if at all possible...)

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Jeanne-M
  • Like 1

MoMo

Hi all

Just an update and just as JennyVee, I used DHL for both deliveries to WES which included a pickup from our local University. Cost was about R1,000 but documents were delivered in 3 days! 

Timeline:

Document 1 couriered on 6 Feb

Document 2 couriered on 9  Feb

Results received from WES on 29 Feb via email and downloadable reports available. I used standard postage for physical reports to be sent by WES. I assume the pdf reports should suffice for the CIC EE profile or am I wrong? 

MoMo

Hi All

Final update on this topic:

- Physical WES documents received via post 15/03/2016. I actually did not expect these given our local postal service.

• Like 1

charlenestrydom

I sent my documents to WES. I asked the university (UP) to complete all the forms and seal, but I opted to post it. Courier with tracking. Still took 4 weeks. WES eventually got back to me and said that they need a full description of each subject  and syllabus. Of course this is not indicated in their required documents list. So if you want to get your qualifications verified please note that you will need to submit a syllabus. I am now back at variety trying to source years book so that we can write a list of my subjects and their contents. 

I'm hoping to have that done by tomorrow. I am then going to fax it through.Hopefully they accept it. 

tarinerk

Hi

Not everybody needs to send a syllabus to WES. It depends on your qualifications,  where it was done etc. They usually ask for a syllabs if they are not certain what your qualifications entails.

We just sent our transcripts and everything was fine. 

Good luck.

@charlenestrydom

Edited by tarinerk
  • Like 1

louisrdev
5 hours ago, charlenestrydom said:

I sent my documents to WES. I asked the university (UP) to complete all the forms and seal, but I opted to post it. Courier with tracking. Still took 4 weeks. WES eventually got back to me and said that they need a full description of each subject  and syllabus. Of course this is not indicated in their required documents list. So if you want to get your qualifications verified please note that you will need to submit a syllabus. I am now back at variety trying to source years book so that we can write a list of my subjects and their contents. 

I'm hoping to have that done by tomorrow. I am then going to fax it through.Hopefully they accept it. 

I assume UP is University of Pretoria. There is a company called MIE that handles their academic records and transcripts. One of their products is an academic transcript which according to the product listing on their website includes the detail of all modules as well as a short description of each module completed at the University of Pretoria. This might be something to look into as well. Unfortunately this has a cost of R855 assosciated with it, and I can't comment on the exact details of the documents as I have not made use of this product, I just happened to see it when I ordered my academic records from them.

http://www.mie.co.za/services/academic-transcripts

charlenestrydom
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 7:24 PM, tarinerk said:

Hi

Not everybody needs to send a syllabus to WES. It depends on your qualifications,  where it was done etc. They usually ask for a syllabs if they are not certain what your qualifications entails.

We just sent our transcripts and everything was fine. 

Good luck.

@charlenestrydom

@louisrdev i got hold of the Professor and he also told me that I must use MIE. I have sent through all my firms to them...iit is quite heavy if you think I have 4 degrees so that works out R855x4 and then R100 per degree for them to complete the WES form plus R520 for postage plus R30 for a digital copy. Equates to almost R4500 ?. But that is done so hopefully when I get that back we can start our EE process. 

• Like 1

GrantM
1 hour ago, charlenestrydom said:

@louisrdev i got hold of the Professor and he also told me that I must use MIE. I have sent through all my firms to them...iit is quite heavy if you think I have 4 degrees so that works out R855x4 and then R100 per degree for them to complete the WES form plus R520 for postage plus R30 for a digital copy. Equates to almost R4500 ?. But that is done so hopefully when I get that back we can start our EE process. 

Wowza! 4 degrees! I guess the only question I have is if it's necessary to have ask of them assessed? Does it score you more points to have all of them done or could you still get max points with having 2 done? 

charlenestrydom

@GrantM its kinda difficult to seperate them as they are all "sort of" related. i.e. I have one under grad degree, 2 honours and a masters degree. So its difficult to select one only. But yes, it is rather steep - but at this point I will do what i must to get out of here. :) Im not sure if it scores you more points or not. As I think the Masters degree scores me maximum points anyway. It is just for future reference too.