Sign in to follow this  
Charldr

Questions regarding education and work history

Charldr

Hi everyone,

Firstly, let me give some details regarding my application for context purposes. I submitted my EE profile for my wife and I on 31 October 2015 and was given a CRS score of 407. Exactly a week later (6 November 2015) and to my delight, I received a letter of interest for PNP from OINP. After a rather stressful time gathering all the required documentation, I eventually sent my pack out on 15 December 2015 which I was informed by DHL was signed for on 18 December 2015 - a total of 43 days from when I received the LOI (cutting it fine, I know :)). Still haven't had any response from OINP but I'm not going to worry until the 90 day response period lapses. So there's a bit of general background about where we are in the process.

Now onto my questions.

Obviously, in now way do I want to misrepresent myself to the CIC or any other governmental organisation of any sort. The reason I say this is because on 01 February 2016 I logged into my profile just out of a matter of interest and noticed that my CRS score had changed from 407 to 432. Surprised by this, I wanted to find out where the extra 25 points had come from. It turns out that they came from my work history i.e. CIC had now recognized that I had 3 years+ experience.

Allow me to explain my employment history to highlight what the issue is. I graduated with a BSc Engineering (Civil) in December 2013 and I have been working full time in the civil engineering field (NOC 2131) from March 2014 (pretty much 2 years). However, prior to my studies I was employed in 2 other full time jobs for a year each - 1 year in the sales industry in 2007 (NOC 6623), and 1 year in the civil engineering field in 2008 predominantly doing draughting work (NOC 2253). I had no qualifications whatsoever for either of these jobs and chose the NOC codes that were most closely related to the work I performed. From my understanding, CIC hasn't given taken into account my work in sale which makes sense as it is not in line with my intended work as a civil engineer. However, now it seems apparent that CIC is crediting me for the year for the draughting I did even though I wasn't qualified at the time. It should be noted that I have explicitly state that I graduated in December 2013 in my profile. So I guess my question is to find out if CIC recognizes unqualified work done prior to ones attainment of a qualification, so as long as it is in the same field that one is currently working in and intending to work in in Canada? Should I contact CIC to revert my score back to 407 as I only have 2 full years of post qualification work? I want to clear this up as soon as possible to avoid any confusion as we may get an AOR any day.

The next question I have in regard to education. In my EE profile, I have specified that I have a Bachelors Degree (which was confirmed in my WES report). However, I am also currently pursuing an MSc in Structural Engineering (a sub-discipline of civil engineering). I was acknowledged by WES for my work up to the date of submission with equivalency of "One semester of graduate study". I was scanning through the Educational Credential Assessment - How to read your report (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp) and noticed that "Study Toward a Master's Degree" was under the "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees". Do you think that I can change my profile to reflect "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees" instead of a Bachelors degree, or should I just wait until my MSc is complete and submit again to WES?

Thanks in advance to everyone who contributes :D

Raquel

Hi @Charldr

Firstly - Welcome to SACanada and congrats on receiving and submitting an OPNP application. :ilikeit:

40 minutes ago, Charldr said:

Allow me to explain my employment history to highlight what the issue is. I graduated with a BSc Engineering (Civil) in December 2013 and I have been working full time in the civil engineering field (NOC 2131) from March 2014 (pretty much 2 years). However, prior to my studies I was employed in 2 other full time jobs for a year each - 1 year in the sales industry in 2007 (NOC 6623), and 1 year in the civil engineering field in 2008 predominantly doing draughting work (NOC 2253). I had no qualifications whatsoever for either of these jobs and chose the NOC codes that were most closely related to the work I performed. From my understanding, CIC hasn't given taken into account my work in sale which makes sense as it is not in line with my intended work as a civil engineer. However, now it seems apparent that CIC is crediting me for the year for the draughting I did even though I wasn't qualified at the time. It should be noted that I have explicitly state that I graduated in December 2013 in my profile. So I guess my question is to find out if CIC recognizes unqualified work done prior to ones attainment of a qualification, so as long as it is in the same field that one is currently working in and intending to work in in Canada? Should I contact CIC to revert my score back to 407 as I only have 2 full years of post qualification work? I want to clear this up as soon as possible to avoid any confusion as we may get an AOR any day.

As far as I understand, you should get recognition for any paid for work in the same field as your primary NOC code in your application, whether you were qualified or not.

I am of the opinion that as long as it meets these requirements, they should be recognised: 

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Minimum requirements
Skilled work experience

Your work experience must be:

at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
in the same job,
within the last 10 years, and
at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).
Full Time

30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Part time

15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
OR
30 hours/week for 12 months at more than one job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

You must show that you did the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

If you cannot show that your work experience meets the description in the NOC, you are not eligible under this program.

Find out the NOC code, title and skill type or level for your job.

40 minutes ago, Charldr said:

The next question I have in regard to education. In my EE profile, I have specified that I have a Bachelors Degree (which was confirmed in my WES report). However, I am also currently pursuing an MSc in Structural Engineering (a sub-discipline of civil engineering). I was acknowledged by WES for my work up to the date of submission with equivalency of "One semester of graduate study". I was scanning through the Educational Credential Assessment - How to read your report (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/eca-conversion.asp) and noticed that "Study Toward a Master's Degree" was under the "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees". Do you think that I can change my profile to reflect "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees" instead of a Bachelors degree, or should I just wait until my MSc is complete and submit again to WES?

For this one I would rather obtain an updated WES evaluation and then select the new option that WES supply you with (if this is the case). 

Edited by Raquel

Charldr

Thank you for the warm welcome and your response Raquel :)

After reading through what your post, I feel a lot more at ease about it. Thank you :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Druce

Welcome to the forum Charldr, I believe Raquel has answered your questions and concerns thoroughly. All of the best of luck with your application!

Raquel

You are welcome @Charldr

If you have any other questions - Fire away :)

2 hours ago, Charldr said:

HI Charl. 

@Raquel has already supplied you with invaluable information. (So glad to see her paying it forward :ilikeit:). I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and keep us updated with your progress! 

Edited by WernerC

Charldr

Thank you @Druce and @WernerC, much appreciated :ilikeit:

MaryJane
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:26 AM, Charldr said:

Hi @Charldr If you've already ordered an assessment from WES, it's possible to just upgrade your assessment with added credentials, etc. And I agree with above, wait for the updated assessment once completed before updating your EE profile.