Sign in to follow this  

Resume Writing and Interview Tips

Hi Everyone,

You can all benefit from Peggy Mckee's course on Resume creation, interview handling etc especially for newly landed immigrants. I have taken the course (a few months prior to departing) and I have not regretted the course / webinars extra classes.

http://careerconfidential.com/

Please add your contributions regarding resume tips and tricks. Formats are a good place to start...I will post a format once I have time.

Resume Format.docx

Edited by AshB

Raquel

Thanks for this @AshB. Have used all my likes on "do you wanna build a snowman" thread. ?

• Like 2

Dear forum regulars, please contribute to this Resume thread as there are many questions that arise around the conversion of a CV to a Resume. 

MaryJane

A good cover letter sample as provided by Tracey22...

• Like 2

MaryJane

I've received this advice from the forum before.

I have one full resume that's about a 5-pager, listing every single thing about me. I then tailor this resume down to a 2-pager depending on the actual position that I am applying for and what experiences they are looking for. It is mostly the work experiences and achievements that I chop and change to fit the role.

• Like 4

Raquel

Additional links on Cover Letters:

https://www.roberthalf.com/job-seekers/career-center/resume/importance-of-a-cover-letter

http://career-advice.monster.com/resumes-cover-letters/cover-letter-tips/cover-letter-point-counterpoint/article.aspx

http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2013/09/cover-letter-relic-or-still-relevant

PS: Most important when applying for a job, follow the application instructions? I've seen jobs advertised where they say no cover letter, email Resume only.

Nelline

Useful website Resume-Now plus you can use it for free though any documents created will have a watermark on them which you can only remove by becoming a paying member or utilising the tips and creating a new Resume outside of the website

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nelline said:

Useful website Resume-Now plus you can use it for free though any documents created will have a watermark on them which you can only remove by becoming a paying member or utilising the tips and creating a new Resume outside of the website

I was just going to quote you from the other thread and you beat me to it @Nelline :whistling:

Edited by AshB

Some great advice from a spunky woman who likes being fed bananas by a bronzed hunky man ???:

Edited by AshB

W-T

Great tips on resume writing - thank you everyone. 

On the topic of interview tips I need some help....

Background - I have started applying for jobs, hoping that I could potentially arrange an interview or two for when we are landing end of June. 

So a KPMG recruiter has contacted me today and she would like to setup some time to discuss my interest, experience and some behavioral questions. 

My question is should I state that I am still working in SA? Ideally I can only start work in Canada mid July / beginning of August or else I will be dropping my current employer and I am not a believer in burning bridges. 

I also know that employers need to fill their vacanies ASAP and if they need to wait more than three months they would rather consider another candidate.

Any tips to explain my preferred start date?

Also if the subject of money is raised - do they work on a gross amount (aka cost to company) which includes provident, medical etc or do they purely talk about salary? I am trying to establish how to convey my minimum nett pay expectations.

Anything else that I should be mindful when speaking to the recruiter would be appreciated.

Thank you!

In my opinion this is such an open ended question. Some companies prefer to hire a candidate that will fit into the team. Therefore they might pass over many candidates with the right education and background, but they are willing to stick it out until the right candidate comes along that will gel with the team. This is what happened to AshB - and then pressure was on to start immediately. He just politely explained that we were in the process of moving into our place and we just arrived. The employer understood the situation and he started working two weeks later.

I think if you are upfront about your potential start date being Aug, then there shouldn't be an issue. The main thing is that you don't want to waste anybody's time. With a recruiter immediately knowing that your start date is Aug, they can make a decision to either engage with you or not. 

As far as what you have said about KPMG - I think this is a more exploratory meeting at the moment than having a vacancy that need immediate action. Because you are saying "Discuss my interest, experience and some behavioral questions", it seems like a profiling session to see where in the KPMG organisation you could potentially fit in.  So my advice is - engage with the clear understanding that your potential start date is only August 1. That way they can profile you and you can enter into constructive talks. If nothing else come of it, it serves two purposes - one a networking opportunity - because the recruiter could possibly go somewhere in the future and remember you and two - Canadian interview experience. 

In my opinion you don't have to state that you are still working in SA. Just inform them that you are in the final stages if your immigration, everything is approved and that you are using the next couple of months to finalize your relocation etc. 

Regarding the subject of money - my advice, is 1 - Know what you are worth for your geographical location in Canada. Use Payscale and get an idea before hand. 2 - Don't approach the subject of money in the first interview UNLESS it is explicitly asked. 3 - Don't raise the money topic first. Let them raise the issue. (unless of course you have been presented with a job offer and you still don't know how much they are offering, but this is highly unlikely because your remuneration should be indicated in your offer letter). 

Regarding benefits - this is difficult. From my limited understanding, (and I could be wrong here) some company's benefits are over and above your pay, whilst some other class it as a deductible after your gross pay, Provident funds are called RSP here just btw. 

Here are some links you might want to explore:

Payscale - http://www.payscale.com/

Simple Tax - Tax calculator to see how much your nett pay will be: https://simpletax.ca/calculator

Hope this helps. 

Edited by WernerC

MaryJane

I agree with what WernerC said. Just to add....

From what I know, benefits will be over and above. That is in the GTA area. And when they discuss salary, it will always be the annual figure given. You have to calculate how much it will be biweekly or per month. We get paid biweekly normally here.

Medical and dental insurance will be spoken that it's covered 80% and that would mean that you are covered 80% of the expense, the 20% is for you to pay (or if your partner is covered by his/her medical then they pay this portion).

They might also talk about an RSP, which is retirement savings plan. If they say 4% RSP, that means they'll put in 4% of your salary into the RSP. But you can also contribute to this. Your contribution will come off your pay. Sometimes they'll match what you put in.

Vacation days is another area that they might mention. By law, it is only 10 days but you can negotiate to have more or they could simply give you more.

I agree with WernerC about the subject of money. If they ask though, be prepared to have a figure (the annual salary). Don't work out cost to company. They don't work it like that here.

Sounds like things are on a roll on your end, all the best!!!

• Like 4

MaryJane

Interesting read - Eight Career Experts Explain What Candidates Should Never Ask In An Interview

1. Questions You Should Already Know
2. Questions That Disempower You
3. Questions That Have Answers You Don’t Want To Hear
4. Questions About Vacation Policies
5. Questions About Benefits
6. Questions That Suggest a Personal Agenda
7. Questions That Make It All About You
8. Questions About Salary

Disclaimer: The list was compiled by Forbes (forbes.com).

• Like 3

W-T

Thank you for all the info. Exactly what I was hoping for. 

So I had a good skype interview with the recruiter. My details will be passed on the hiring manager. So here is to hoping for a follow up interview. 

• Like 3

I thought I would share a website I found to help with resumes. It seems simple to use and gives you a great deal of flexibility to create a resume that is just right for you and your industry:

https://www.myperfectresume.com/