Zunit

CPA, CA jobs in Toronto

Zunit

Hi,

How is the job availability for CPA, CA members of Ontario in Canada? 

I recently gained membership and I'm starting my job search. Any advise will would useful. 

MaryJane

What is your specialty?

Tons of job available in Toronto and surrounding area. Competition in the field is fierce though. Even for CPAs already here in Canada, it's not very easy.

Embarking on a successful job search is really the same for most. Nothing specific or special about CPAs.

*You will have more success if you apply to a job that you have the relevant skills and experience for. Does not mean you can't get into a different field, just not easy.

*Network if you can. (LinkedIn Tips here) Sharpen your social skills, you gonna need it for this.

*Being a newcomer and a generalist accountant, I found it difficult to get into recruitment agencies when I started. So I targeted companies to increase my chances.

*It's hard when you don't hear anything after sending your umpteenth resume off, do not give up.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

Zunit

Hi, thanks for the info. Was checking LinkedIn now, seems like every job has at least 50 applicants. Wonder if all these people have the required skills experience etc or if they just trying their luck. 

Already feeling dejected with this job hunt, and I haven't even gotten PR yet :) 

You are going to have to be more resilient than that if you want to be successful in your endeavors to get here and then remain here. 

This process is brutal and requires a can do positive approach. Apply that and you WILL be successful. 

1 hour ago, Zunit said:

Was checking LinkedIn now, seems like every job has at least 50 applicants. Wonder if all these people have the required skills experience etc or if they just trying their luck. 

Already feeling dejected with this job hunt, and I haven't even gotten PR yet :) 

That's only what you see on LinkedIn and is only a small percentage of the applicants. Job market in Canada is very competitive with good supply of degreed qualified candidates. Like AshB mentioned, you need to pick yourself up and fight for what you want. Part of getting ahead in the job hunt all comes down to having a positive and can do attitude.

Take heart, Accountants are still in demand in Canada. We need people to count them beans! :D

MaryJane

50 applicants, that barely even scratches the surface. Remember that you are only looking at LinkedIn, what about applicants outside of LinkedIn? Trust me, there are many more.

I once got an interview at a company where they sifted through 300+ resumes. I went in the first interview with 9 others, until the last 2....and then I didn't get the job. Very dejected I was. But 2 days later, stood up, brushed the dust off my shoulders and off I went. The way I looked at it was that my resume got me that interview (fished out of 300 others) so it was definitely catching attention. Just needed to be more persistent and patient.

Tips some more...

*if you see an ad, check when it was first posted. If it's 3-4 days ago, apply and get in. If it's 5-10 days, stretching it a bit now. If it's 11 days onwards, the chance of being picked out starts getting slimmer and slimmer. Not to say don't apply, just don't hold very high hopes.

*Research the company. If you find anything on the company, use it to your advantage. Don't appear too stalker-like, telling them everything you found on the Internet, just enough that they know you know something about them.

*if I don't hear any response from an initial application after 45 days, then I consider it dead in the water. Quite long but the process here tends to be long.... The bigger the company, the more red tape it needs to go through.

I've been on the other end of the chair as a company recruiter and I can tell you that it would not be a good idea to under estimate the competition. Sure, lots of people try their luck. But if you half the figure, that could mean that you are vying with 25 others out of 50. Be the accountant. 1 in 25 chances is still high odds. Your chances need to go to 1/10 or 1/5 or 1/3, what do you need to do differently to get it there?

• Like 2

Jules

Job market for financial services in Toronto / GTA is super competitive. When it comes to supply and demand you need to understand that there is an over-supply of very well qualified applicants. It is very different to SA where a CA is almost guaranteed to get a job AND earn good money. Here you need to make your own path just to get employed and then beat a wider path if you want to earn good money.

Employers (especially the popular ones) can literally get hundreds of applicants. Toronto is the big pond and one of the biggest financial service cities in the world. Supply and demand.

My son is starting university here later this year and I have tried for the past 2 years to talk him out of studying to be a CPA. I actually advised him to do a skilled trade but he never listens to me lol.

• Like 1

FaithFUL
16 hours ago, Jules said:

It is very different to SA where a CA is almost guaranteed to get a job AND earn good money. Here you need to make your own path just to get employed and then beat a wider path if you want to earn good money.

Not in KZN (especially Pietermaritzburg) - here they don't like paying the high salaries for CA's. They'd much rather employ a graduate for much less. CA's salaries here are quite a bit lower than in Jhb. We know of a couple CA's that had to move to Gauteng in search for better salaries.

16 hours ago, Jules said:

My son is starting university here later this year and I have tried for the past 2 years to talk him out of studying to be a CPA. I actually advised him to do a skilled trade but he never listens to me lol.

Ha ha, I suggested to my hubby the other day that he should look at studying a trade. He's always hated accounting. The look I got was priceless!

MaryJane
On January 25, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Jules said:

I think the trick is you gotta start them younger. My hubby used to warn my kids about accounting when we talked about what they wanted to be when they grew up, "Be careful. You don't wanna be crazy like mommy!" :blink::wacko:

And that is what's supposed to have deterred them from the path.... :P

1 hour ago, MaryJane said:

"Be careful. You don't wanna be crazy like mommy!" :blink::wacko:

Yep, this mixed-up world we live in entitles us to act a little crazy MJ! :) That's my story and I'm sticking with it...... :D

Khushboo Desai

Hi Guys,

I just recently converted my CA (SA) to the CPA CA. Isn't it a good thing that we are in the same boat as other CPA CA? I am currently working as an Operational Risk Manager for Capital Markets and I completed my articles through the FirstRand Banking Group.

I did my articles through the TOPP route and I was wondering whether its possible for me to do something junior and change career paths a little bit. So, for example going back and working as an Assistant Manager for the Big 4 audit firms or start off in Credit/Capital Risk at Grad level? I thought moving to Canada is a good time to move to a different path as it is easier to get junior roles? or do you think that I am selling myself short?

Thanks!

K

MaryJane

Sure, if you can sell yourself and get the job, why not? All you can do is try. 

It will be a little hard to see if you are selling yourself short. I don't know what the future will bring for you with regards finding a junior role and then moving up vs getting something now at the same level you are at.

Most newcomer job hunt successes I've seen are when you apply for jobs that are directly relevant and aligned with the experiences that you've had previously.

• Like 1

Jules
On 1/24/2016 at 6:25 AM, Zunit said:

Hi, thanks for the info. Was checking LinkedIn now, seems like every job has at least 50 applicants. Wonder if all these people have the required skills experience etc or if they just trying their luck. 

It's much more than 50. That's 50 applicants for the LinkedIn posting. But the job is posted on other sites too. Plus if it's a bigger company that are getting internal applications too. 

It's not unusual for a job posting to attract 150+ applications. Not all applicants are properly qualified but there is always a large group of genuine applicants.