Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

New Forum Upgrade - Need Help?

Hendie

Our forum software is newly upgraded and is so completely different, we will all have to learn how to use it. If you need help please ask here and when we figure out how to do it, we will answer your questions. If a forum member knows the answer please feel free to jump in and answer on the host's behalf. 

Perhaps the biggest challenge is going to be signing in. Please use your Display Name and Password to sign in. 

Enjoy!

• Like 4

jacodj

To the founders of this forum and who pay for its maintenance: thank you. 

Edited by jacodj
  • Like 5

Raquel
6 hours ago, jacodj said:

To the founders of this forum and who pay for its maintenance: thank you. 

Amen! :D I love the new look and feel of the upgrade so far! Thanks Hendie. 

GrantM

Its really fancy - only thing I'm missing is the signatures.

• Like 1

Jester

The new upgrade is great! Thanks to those who maintain the site and go forward with upgrades like this.

A quick question. I don't seem to be able to find the option to go to the first unread post within a topic as I used to. There would be a button when I opened a thread on pc and on my mobile it would automatically take me to the first unread post. Can't find a similar button on pc and my mobile simply opens the thread at the first post now? Any guidance on what I'm missing?

I have spotted the unread content link. But that doesn't seem to help within a thread?

Thanks!

MaryJane
2 hours ago, Jester said:

A quick question. I don't seem to be able to find the option to go to the first unread post within a topic as I used to. There would be a button when I opened a thread on pc and on my mobile it would automatically take me to the first unread post. Can't find a similar button on pc and my mobile simply opens the thread at the first post now? Any guidance on what I'm missing?

Hi Jester, try clicking on the time stamp of the person making the comment. It then should take you to THAT comment.

It works for PC and mobile both.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Thank you for the upgrade! I hadn't been on the forum for a few days and it was a nice surprise to see the new look and features. 

Thanks for the upgrade Hendie. New forum looks great! 

Quick question, on a post how can one see who liked the post?  Currently on a post it will say 3 people like your post, but it doesn't say who they are.  In your notifications it says "somebody"  likes a post you made. Yet if one looks at all activity of the forum,  it says x liked yes post under 'thread heading' .  

MaryJane
49 minutes ago, WernerC said:

Quick question, on a post how can one see who liked the post?  Currently on a post it will say 3 people like your post, but it doesn't say who they are.  In your notifications it says "somebody"  likes a post you made. Yet if one looks at all activity of the forum,  it says x liked yes post under 'thread heading' .  

This kinda reminds me of that Russell Peters joke about "Somebody's gonna get hurt" but we never seem to know who this somebody is. :P

Anyways, I am wondering about this myself. I've found that I can find the people who liked a certain post I made when I visit my main profile and look at my activity thread (sort of like the FB wall). But then again, who wants to be visiting one's own profile that much a day just to find who's been clicking "like this, like this"? ;)

Anybody who's got an easier way figured out, please do let us know.

Hendie
4 hours ago, WernerC said:

It should work now Werner. Every time they bring out one of these upgrades I spend hours trying to find things in the Admin Control Panel again!

Enjoy!

Hendie

Not sure whether it was there before, but you can now also set a Cover Photo for your profile page. It shows up when someone visits your profile page, or hovers their cursor over your name in a topic post. Mine is a picture of one of the little fishing harbours here in New Brunswick.

• Like 1

shawman

Love the new look, Hendie. Thank you!

Thank you Hendie!  Yes, every time there are new versions of software we spend hours trying to find the settings to get something done.  

Thanks again for the help.  

GrantM

Seems like email notifications aren't working for me, how about the rest of you?

M-N

I love the new look but looks like it's not optimized for my mobile browser anymore ( safari).  I've attached a screenshot. Anyone else getting this? It's not a big deal, just thought I'd point it out to the developers. :) 

On the plus side, I can now upload pics from my phone. :) 

image.png

GrantM
47 minutes ago, M-N said:

I love the new look but looks like it's not optimized for my mobile browser anymore ( safari).  I've attached a screenshot. Anyone else getting this? It's not a big deal, just thought I'd point it out to the developers. :) 

On the plus side, I can now upload pics from my phone. :) 

image.png

Same on Chrome.

MaryJane

I was just wondering if there was a way that we could control/toggle with the security on our profile?

I know that previously users have to be members and logged in to be able to see the profiles of other members and users on SACanada.

I see now though that guests check us out. I suppose I just want to keep some of the information that's on the profile viewable by members only (like locations and DOB).

I suppose as well we can just delete some of the info that we don't want showing up...

MaryJane
2 hours ago, GrantM said:

Seems like email notifications aren't working for me, how about the rest of you?

Just remembered something about this...

A member contacted me on another platform to let me know that she tried to reset her password and the reset email never arrived. I wonder if it's an issue pushing email notifications?

• Like 1

Raquel

I just noticed something while posting. If you type the at sign you can select a member from the forums name... Not sure if something happens in the members account or email after its posted. :) so I'll test it with MJ :D 

@MaryJane how you doing?

Raquel
2 hours ago, GrantM said:

I received an email notification yesterday, but only for one reply in the thread, and not all of them as I usually do...

GrantM
2 minutes ago, Raquel said:

I received an email notification yesterday, but only for one reply in the thread, and not all of them as I usually do...

I just got one when you and MJ quoted me. I just don't get them with PMs. 

MaryJane
4 minutes ago, Raquel said:

I just noticed something while posting. If you type the at sign you can select a member from the forums name... Not sure if something happens in the members account or email after its posted. :) so I'll test it with MJ :D 

@MaryJane how you doing?

Notification received. :) This is like a tweeting function then. Cool!

• Like 1

Raquel

Yes it did feel a bit like tweeting. :):ilikeit: 

Jester
16 hours ago, MaryJane said:

Hi Jester, try clicking on the time stamp of the person making the comment. It then should take you to THAT comment.

It works for PC and mobile both.

Hope this helps.

Thanks @MaryJane I'll give it a shot :clown:

• Like 1

Great upgrade, like the modern look! Thanks Hendie, your founding SACanada Forums has assisted many South Africans in their  decision to make Canada their new home.     

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this