Majikat

WES - Academic "record" vs Academic "transcript"

Majikat

This seems like a weird one but on the WES document checklist it specifically states that the academic transcript must be sent by the institution. M.I.E charges R855 for this and it takes 35-40 days for international delivery. However, it seems that others merely send the academic record for a much lower for like R125 and this only takes about 10 days for international delivery. The transcript is basically like the record but has more detailed descriptions about the program and modules undertaken.

Any wisdom on this one?

MaryJane

Hi Majikat, I'm not sure what MIE is but when you mentioned above....

I had a look at what UNISA sent to WES for me and by golly, you are right. UNISA actually sent my academic record to WES. In fairness though, the record had all the info that WES needed (i.e. all subjects taken, grades received for each subject, each year student was in the program, student full name and date of birth). It looks like WES will accept it if they deem all the info they require is there.

Disclaimer: my WES app was done in 2012 so not really the most updated one.

It would be advisable to get the transcript to avoid any issues further down the line.

Disclaimer: my WES app was done in 2014 so not really the most updated one.

Ominous_Hashtag

MIE is the transcript service used by the University of Pretoria. I've had to use them for professional purposes and they are quite good, just expensive.

I also have to use UNISA for my Hons, just hope they don't cock it up.

Timmie23

For my UNISA diploma, I went to our regional centre, with the WES Form.

I asked them for a Academic Transcript. They printed it out and stamped it.

Then I said I want to speak to the branch manager. He completed the institution's part on the WES form.

They then put it all into a UNISA envelope.

I wrote WES details with the WES Reference number on the front of the envelope.

Had the manager stamp and sign across the sealed area of the envelope.

Then I left the envelope with him.

Went to DHL, organized that they pick it up from UNISA, and gave the name of the manager.

3 Days later it arrived at WES in Toronto. Think it only cost abour R250 - R300 for DHL.

From what I read about WES. They specifically want the transcripts to either be sent by the institution or to be collected from them. You can't just get the transcripts and then send them yourself. Think it is to prevent forged documents.

Edited by Timmie23
  • Like 1

reshie108

Hi there my experience with UNISA was exactly like Timmie23's

it was easy, no hassle, got everything printed signed and stamped in under 30 minutes.

I went to the regional office in Durban for myself, and the one in Pretoria for my hubby.

Good Luck :)

Majikat

Hi there my experience with UNISA was exactly like Timmie23's

it was easy, no hassle, got everything printed signed and stamped in under 30 minutes.

I went to the regional office in Durban for myself, and the one in Pretoria for my hubby.

Thanks, so you asked them for an academic transcript as opposed to an academic record?

Did your document have detailed descriptions of the modules or was just line by line account of modules and scores?

Timmie23

Thanks, so you asked them for an academic transcript as opposed to an academic record?

Did your document have detailed descriptions of the modules or was just line by line account of modules and scores?

Mine had all my details at the top, along with the qualification's details, like how many credits it was worth and the NQF exit level. Then for each module, it had the exam date, the final mark, and then the area that usually shows if it was exemption, distinction or fail/rewrite granted, etc. I received my ECA from WES without any hassles.

Majikat

Mine had all my details at the top, along with the qualification's details, like how many credits it was worth and the NQF exit level. Then for each module, it had the exam date, the final mark, and then the area that usually shows if it was exemption, distinction or fail/rewrite granted, etc. I received my ECA from WES without any hassles.

Okay, then I really doubt WES is looking for the detailed 'transcript'. The plain old record, the one that everybody gets by default at the end of the degree should be fine

Timmie23

Okay, then I really doubt WES is looking for the detailed 'transcript'. The plain old record, the one that everybody gets by default at the end of the degree should be fine

I think so, but just remember, it must come directly from the institution. You can't send them the one you already have.

reshie108

hi there, I sent through an academic Record.

Which states the modules passed, the year it was completed, the mark I obtained, and whether I successfully completed my degree.

this document was signed and stamped by both the universities I attended, Natal and UNISA.

I then got them to fill and sign and stamp the WES forms, put everything in an envelope, asked them to stamp and sign over the seal of the envelope.

I then put all my envelopes together, in one big envelope, took that to the nearest DHL / Postnet and sent that through myself.

I received my ECA no hassles, and all my qualifications were recognized and accredited.

Hope my explanation helps.

• Like 1

Majikat

Hi reshie, i think the important thing for anyone reading this is that you probably did all of that at the counter with them, so it was all signed, sealed and stamped there; then when you sent it by courier, it was as if it was sent directly from the University.

Timmie23

Hi reshie, i think the important thing for anyone reading this is that you probably did all of that at the counter with them, so it was all signed, sealed and stamped there; then when you sent it by courier, it was as if it was sent directly from the University.

I was instructed differently though. I was told to make sure the courier collects it themselves from the university.

Wasn't willing to take any chances, so that's what I went with.

reshie108

I couriered my WES documents myself, and had no issues.

all were accepted by WES.

Ominous_Hashtag
Majikat

MIE has "officially" advised me that the best route is to confirm with WES whether they absolutely need the Transcript or whether the Academic Record will suffice. Obviously they say that in order to rather err on the side of caution.

BUT a knowledgeable controller at MIE has told me that it should be fine to go the Academic Record route together with the Questionnaire (this document specifically refers to WES).

As per the MIE Request Form you will select the following for UP transcripts:

Product 1 a or b Academic Record R125

Product 3 Questionnaire R100

And then the international courier fees of R520

You can contact MIE at info@mie.co.za

• Like 1

Ominous_Hashtag

Just when I think I understand the rules WES confuse the hell out of me all over again.

Initially all the guidance I found indicated that your documents need to be sent to WES directly by the academic institution...now I've discovered this little gem on the WES website when using the FAQ:

How to send academic transcripts to WES

WES accepts transcripts/original mark sheets in an official sealed envelope which can be submitted to WES either by the applicant or directly by the issuing body.

Review your country of education's document requirements for further instructions. A sealed envelope may have special requirements by country. 

Okay, so I would like to pack all my qualifications into one package at DHL and send it myself for the following reasons:

1. I have qualifications from UP and UNISA and I'd prefer to have them arrive together.

2. I'd like to check the sealed envelopes first in order to ensure that they do adhere to the requirements from WES (sealed, stamped, signed)

3. I could save some money (every bit helps for my Proof of Funds requirements)

Can anyone advise or confirm that this method has worked for them? It appears that @reshie108 may be have found success in this way...

Jeanne-M

Hi @Ominous_Hashtag 

If I were you I wouldn't bother trying to send things together. My husband has a degree from UP which we requested though MIE and another one from UNISA. We requested one from MIE and it arrived at WES quickly without hassles. I went to UNISA on behalf of my husband and got his transcripts  very easily. Unfortunately the first time I did this I sent it with the SAPO, so I had to go back. The second time I simply placed the sealed, stamped envelope from UNISA in an Aramex store-to-door courier sleeve (R299 for international delivery) along with a certified copy of his degree certificate and sent it off. It arrived at WES within 5 working days and WES has confirmed receiving it with no problems. 

Ominous_Hashtag

Thanks @Jeanne-M, I guess that settles it. I'm sending it myself. I'm glad you mentioned MIE and the fact that they did it correctly since I also have to make use of them.

louisrdev

I am doing the same at the moment, I need records from MIE (TUKS) and from UNISA. At first MIE was reluctant to courier to me and let me courier the records to WES stating that WES will not accept documents couriered by me. I emailed them back, referring them to the link on the WES website containing the excerpt above. Subsequently they decided to courier the records to me and let me send it to WES, with acknowledgement from me that MIE can't be held responsible if WES won't accept the records. So just be aware of the fact that you might need to negotiate with MIE before they will send the records to you.

Ominous_Hashtag
4 minutes ago, louisrdev said:

I am doing the same at the moment, I need records from MIE (TUKS) and from UNISA. At first MIE was reluctant to courier to me and let me courier the records to WES stating that WES will not accept documents couriered by me. I emailed them back, referring them to the link on the WES website containing the excerpt above. Subsequently they decided to courier the records to me and let me send it to WES, with acknowledgement from me that MIE can't be held responsible if WES won't accept the records. So just be aware of the fact that you might need to negotiate with MIE before they will send the records to you.

What a coincidence! I'm going through this process with MIE as we speak. If WES doesn't accept the records we are going to look like a pair of knuckleheads, haha.

Druce

I don't need my credentials assessed at the moment as I did not need this when submitting my application.

I however do want to get them before we leave for Canada in case I want to study further or need it for a interview or something like this.

I will first see if you guys are successful and will then follow this route.

Keep us updated ;)

louisrdev
1 hour ago, Ominous_Hashtag said:

What a coincidence! I'm going through this process with MIE as we speak. If WES doesn't accept the records we are going to look like a pair of knuckleheads, haha.

Agreed... :)

So let's hold thumbs this does not happen. 

1 hour ago, Druce said:

I don't need my credentials assessed at the moment as I did not need this when submitting my application.

I however do want to get them before we leave for Canada in case I want to study further or need it for a interview or something like this.

I will first see if you guys are successful and will then follow this route.

Keep us updated ;)

Will do, but judging from the experience of others on the forum this should hopefully work out fine.

• Like 1

Ominous_Hashtag

Ok then, just some feedback. I sent everything through as described above (couriered via DHL in one package) and got feedback from WES this morning - all documents were accepted and verified, my ECA report is on its way.

• Like 2

louisrdev

Same here, I received my completed ECA report today. They accepted the UNISA and UP documents which I got from the institutions and couriered everything together myself.

• Like 1

JeffH
On 1/13/2016 at 7:51 AM, Ominous_Hashtag said:

Majikat

MIE has "officially" advised me that the best route is to confirm with WES whether they absolutely need the Transcript or whether the Academic Record will suffice. Obviously they say that in order to rather err on the side of caution.

BUT a knowledgeable controller at MIE has told me that it should be fine to go the Academic Record route together with the Questionnaire (this document specifically refers to WES).

As per the MIE Request Form you will select the following for UP transcripts:

Product 1 a or b Academic Record R125

Product 3 Questionnaire R100

And then the international courier fees of R520

You can contact MIE at info@mie.co.za

Did you take the questionnaire product in the end? My sister is busy with this and when I did mine 2 years ago, Questionnaire was included at no cost - I did not order it (and could not) but it was on my invoice.. What the heck is it? What would happen if we don't select the questionnaire - surely they still complete the form and send it to WES? Also, if you do need this, is it per applicant or per degree?