Brent

Hi SACanadians,

I am currently going through the process of job hunting in Canada. I have been accepted into the "Express Entry Pool" for Skilled Workers. In the welcome letter I recieved they said to improve your score you need to start marketing yourself to employers as a job offer will increase your points and in turn your chances of being invited to apply for PR.

I have trauled the net and have started applications however a question I keep getting in these applications is "Are You Legally Eligible To Work On Canada?"

I do not know how to answer this question?

I am told to look for a job to increase my points but does this mean I am legally eligible to work in Canada?

If yes great!!

If no, it puts you between a rock and a hard place becasue they want me to find a job but I am not legally eligible to apply for jobs.

Can anyone give me some advise on how to answer these questions as I want to be sure the information I give potential employers is 100% truthful.

Thanks for your feedback....

Cazpi

Great question. Sorry have no answer, also keen to know

eminembattlez

One of those unfortunate chicken and egg situations. You should answer "no" if you have no PR or work permit. However, that doesn't mean that you cannot find a job even after giving such an answer. If your profile is sufficiently attractive, then some employers would be willing to give you a job and assist with the sponsorship process. My advice is keep trying. I have known a handful of people who have gotten jobs without a PR or work permit and the employers have assisted them with the sponsorship process.

Nelline

You are only legally able to work in Canada if you have a valid work permit, a valid Study permit (in which case you're allowed to work limited hours, to my knowledge), PR for Canada or you're a Canadian citizen.

EMinM is correct - there are a number of people who managed to get a job offer and their employers sponsored them for a WP, my husband being one of them - so it IS possible. Just not easy! But nothing worth having in life is ever easy, right?

• Like 2

MaryJane

I have trauled the net and have started applications however a question I keep getting in these applications is "Are You Legally Eligible To Work On Canada?"

Nelline is correct. If you don't have any legal status here in Canada (not yet anyway), then the answer to this question is NO.

PsyCLown

If you are able to get a permanent, full-time job offer than it makes getting PR via EE soo much easier as you get your score plus 600 additional points which should put you above the lower limit so you should get an ITA (I think it is called) and the process gets fast tracked if I am not mistaken - for the simple reason that the company in Canada needs you and you cannot start working for them until you have your PR / work permit / whatever. :)

At least you are based in Canada and can physically goto companies, I am stuck in South Africa so to try and do what you are going to attempt to do online is quite a bit trickier :P However still not impossible ^^

Jules

Hi SACanadians,

I am currently going through the process of job hunting in Canada. I have been accepted into the "Express Entry Pool" for Skilled Workers. In the welcome letter I recieved they said to improve your score you need to start marketing yourself to employers as a job offer will increase your points and in turn your chances of being invited to apply for PR.

I do not know how to answer this question?

I am told to look for a job to increase my points but does this mean I am legally eligible to work in Canada?

If yes great!!

If no, it puts you between a rock and a hard place becasue they want me to find a job but I am not legally eligible to apply for jobs.

Can anyone give me some advise on how to answer these questions as I want to be sure the information I give potential employers is 100% truthful.

Thanks for your feedback....

No you are not legally allowed to work in Canada with your current status.