Sign in to follow this  
Hfb

Proof of funds when applying from within Canada

Hfb

From the CIC website: "Unless you are currently authorized to work in Canada and have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada, or you have been invited to apply under the Canadian Experience Class, you must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada."

Does that mean that if I apply under express entry, while on a work permit in Canada, they won't ask me for proof of funds when I create my EE profile nor when they invite me to apply?

My reason for asking is that I would prefer to put any extra money into our new mortgage in Canada.

M-N

Hi,

We had to submit a "Proof of means of financial support" when we submitted our application . This is once you receive ITA.

As per the myCIC explanation:

"Express Entry – Permanent Residents

If you are applying for permanent residence in Canada, you must provide an official letter issued by your financial institution indicating your financial profile. This must:
  • list of all your bank (chequing and savings) and investment accounts, the account numbers, dates each account was opened and the balance of each account over the past six months,
  • list all outstanding debts, such as credit cards and loans,
  • be printed on the letterhead of the financial institution, and include your name and the contact information of the financial institution (address, telephone number and e-mail address)."

We just went to Scotiabank and they typed out a letter stating the balances of our Credit cards, our savings and joint cheque account. Most banks don't have a template or really know what a "financial profile" is so just give them this explanation.

Nelline

We applied for Express Entry under the CEC

Under "Proof of funds" we uploaded a copy the main applicant's work permit, job offer and LMIA. Instead of any kind of "proof of funds" or financial letter.

It went through fine and we have PR

You should NOT need to provide any "proof of funds" if you have a valid job offer with LMIA. That is what is meant by "Unless you are currently authorized to work in Canada and have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada"

Give the Caesar what is his due - no more.

Hfb

M-N, Had you already been in the country for six months at that time?

Edited by Hfb

Nelline

You may have a point here. If you are not applying under CEC rather play it safe and provide proof of funds...

M-N, Had you already been in the country for six months at that time?

Hfb

Thanks Nelline, that's how I understood it, although you went through CEC and I suppose I'll be going through FSW, which might be different.

I see the FSW requirements ask for at least 1 year full time experience in your current NOC, does this have to be in Canada? I take it they mean international experience?

M-N

I went through FSW so that may be why I need proof of funds. The 1year experience is not restricted to Canada unless you apply under CEC I would imagine.

M-N

Oh and yes, we've been here for 7 months wheb we submitted our application.