Sign in to follow this  
srubs

Express Entry - From start to finish

KatieV

Hi everyone! All the information and advice on the SACanada Forums have gotten me through this application process, I am so grateful! I thought I'd share a summary of timeline in this thread. The timelines of the WES assessment of your education credentials and the IELTS test vary, so I won’t put my dates down for these because it might be misleading. What I have done is present my timeline from the date that we submitted Express Entry application:

Entry into Express Entry pool: 10 August 2015

Invitation to apply: 4 December 2015

Submitted PR application: 11 January 2016

Ready for Visa (Request for Passports): 5 May 2016

Sent passports: 9 May 2016

Received passports: Waiting to receive them

Leaving for Canada: Week of July 11th

Overall the whole process we started end of May 2015.

• Like 3

Druce

Wow @KatieV, all done and dusted under one year, give the woman a Bells! Congratulations

• Like 1

LouiseB

HI

Please can anyone help with an email address or postal address to where I can submit our permanent residency application

Please!!!

MaryJane
3 minutes ago, LouiseB said:

HI

Please can anyone help with an email address or postal address to where I can submit our permanent residency application

Please!!!

I seem to recall Express Entry being an online system so my first thought would be that the application is online???

LouiseB

Hi Mary Jane

Sorry for asking a "stupid" question, but I have been on the CIC website and read all of that

just wanted to know if you can still apply for PR and if yes where do you submit you application

And before I can apply for Express entry I need to do the English test,right???

Druce

Welcome to the forum @LouisB. You might want to head to the following link, you will find most of the answers to your questions here:

MaryJane
1 hour ago, LouiseB said:

Hi Mary Jane

Sorry for asking a "stupid" question, but I have been on the CIC website and read all of that

just wanted to know if you can still apply for PR and if yes where do you submit you application

And before I can apply for Express entry I need to do the English test,right???

Oh ok. PR can only been applied once you have been invited to apply (ITA). To get an ITA, you'll need to be in the EE pool. And to get into EE, you'll need the language test and the educational assessment done.

All the best.

Lodewicus

Hi @srubs, I don't see any mention of an unabridged birth certificate. Is that not necessary?

Robes

Hi @Lodewicus,

The unabridged birth certificate isn't a requirement but Srubs and I both did it because its a lot easier doing it in SA then trying to do it from Canada. I also like that I have it because I now have a legal document that proves who my parents are and also that I am related to my sister since we have both their full names and ID numbers on our birth certificate. 

Lodewicus

Thanks, @Robes. Maybe you and @srubs can help me with my next questions. I wrote my English exam last week. I was wondering about the 'Education Credential Assessment'. My highest qualification is matric. Do I also need to verify that with WES or can I send my Matric Certificate? Also, does it help that my brother is there and have permanent residency? I also have a job offer. Thanks in advance.

Robes

Hi @Lodewicus,

You can get your Matric certificate verified with WES but I don't know if it is worth the cost for the points. I recall reading on this site you get 28 points for a matric and from my experience it costs approximately R 3 500 for the WES application.

I think if you have a job offer that's a greater benefit than a WES assessment (especially in terms of point) but I don't know if you need a LIMA to get those points. @MaryJane is the best person to answer your questions.  

Otherwise, I do think having a brother is an added benefit but don't know how that related in points. 

All the best with your application!

MaryJane

Hi @Lodewicus

Are you entering the Express Entry and applying for PR? Or are you applying for a work permit with your job offer?

I am assuming the position you have been offered requires an LMIA. So either way, whether work permit or EE (if you want to use the job offer and get the extra 600 points), you will need an LMIA to go with the job offer.

Another way to use the job offer (without LMIA) is to apply through PNP. Some provinces accept just job offers with no LMIA. This might have a longer processing time though. Because you have to get nominated by the province and then enter EE with the nomination. A relative in Canada may also help in some cases with getting PNP.

You will need your Matric assessed if you decide to enter Express Entry with no job offer + LMIA.

If you can tell us more about which province you are going into, then we can be more specific about the different PNP routes, if you so wish.

Hope this helps!

Lodewicus

Hi @MaryJane 

Thank you so much for your help.

I am entering the EE and applying for PR and the company that offered me the job is based in BC.

The company has a positive LMIA from ESDC. What else do I have to do from my side in regards to the LMIA?

If I have the docs mentioned above, do I need to verify my Matric? And can I then enter the EE pool without it?

At the moment, I am a bit confused as to what I will need to enter the EE with all the different possible variables.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. 

Regards

MaryJane

@Lodewicus

As far as I know, if you have the job offer and LMIA, you should be able to enter the EE without the ECA being done. With the extra 600 points you get from the job offer + LMIA, I don't think you'll need the 28 points that your Matric will give you to boost your points.

Nothing else that you need to do with the LMIA except include it in your EE application.

Good luck!

Lodewicus

Hi @MaryJane , thanks for all the help.

Lodewicus

@MaryJane one last question. Will I need a proof of funds? because I saw this:

You do not have to show that you have these funds if:

• you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada AND
  • you are currently working or authorized to work in Canada.

And I am not sure about the second part?

Thanks once again.

MaryJane

@Lodewicus

It would seem so. Yes, you'll need proof of funds.

The way I understand to avoid showing proof of funds, you'll need valid job offer + LMIA and valid work permit (authorization to work). 

See this discussion elsewhere - 

• Like 1

Conrad
On 9/19/2015 at 3:13 PM, srubs said:

Education Credential Assessment (ECA):

I decided to use World Education Services (WES) (see http://www.wes.org/ca) to do my degree conversion because it seemed to be the quickest and cheapest. I had to send copies of my degree certificates to WES (I did this by registered letter. If I were to do it again I would use a courier, for the sake of speed and traceability). I also had to get my university to send my academic transcripts directly to WES (WES supplies a form that you fill in and give to provide the faculty office with the relevant information). WES indicated 20 working days to perform the degree conversion, I seem to remember that it took about this length.

Hi all,

Just wanted to find out. When sending a copy of your certificates to WES, do these need to be certified copies or is a normal copy fine? Then, i have a higher diploma in something that i no longer do. Would this be worth while still submitting?

Thank You

SunshineGirl
25 minutes ago, Conrad said:

i have a higher diploma in something that i no longer do. Would this be worth while still submitting?

Hi @Conrad.  If in your situation, I would definitely submit both qualifications.  The WES cost is the same when done together & if WES accredit you with both qualifications, a second post tertiary qualification will equate to additional CRS points for your score.

Hope this helps!

Conrad
2 hours ago, SunshineGirl said:

Hi @Conrad.  If in your situation, I would definitely submit both qualifications.  The WES cost is the same when done together & if WES accredit you with both qualifications, a second post tertiary qualification will equate to additional CRS points for your score.

Hope this helps!

@SunshineGirl Thank you for the info. Do you know if the copies must be certified?

Sarika

Hi @Conrad when you create your WES profile it will give you directions on how to submit your application. 

You basically need to send:

1. a copy (not certified) of your qualification, along with

2. academic transcripts in a sealed, stamped, signed envelope by your university so that they are confident that you have not tampered with the document.

But as I said you should create your profile and pay the fee and all your instructions will be provided. They also have a facebook page from which they actually respond! All the best!

Conrad
5 minutes ago, Sarika said:

Hi @Conrad when you create your WES profile it will give you directions on how to submit your application. 

You basically need to send:

1. a copy (not certified) of your qualification, along with

2. academic transcripts in a sealed, stamped, signed envelope by your university so that they are confident that you have not tampered with the document.

But as I said you should create your profile and pay the fee and all your instructions will be provided. They also have a facebook page from which they actually respond! All the best!

@Sarika Fantastic! Thank you very much for the help.

• Like 1

Andriesvn

You also need to be sure that the sending address is the University's. I have read of someone collecting the envelope from the university and sending it from their home address and WES declined. So be sure that if you need to help your university that you have the courier pick it up at the university.

Chayne
21 minutes ago, Andriesvn said:

You also need to be sure that the sending address is the University's. I have read of someone collecting the envelope from the university and sending it from their home address and WES declined. So be sure that if you need to help your university that you have the courier pick it up at the university.

We didn't find that problem. My husband and I both collected sealed envelopes from Unisa and UCT and put them in larger envelopes with the rest of the paperwork. We then couriered both our envelopes together to WES and had no issues. I think the main thing is the transcripts have to be sealed and stamped by the institution to ensure it wasn't tampered with,

SunshineGirl
On 17/10/2017 at 12:15 PM, Conrad said:

@SunshineGirl Thank you for the info. Do you know if the copies must be certified?

@Conrad, apologies for not coming back to you sooner - I was away from my PC.  Glad that all of the above ladies & gents could help you out with info :-)