MaryJane

Identity Fraud

MaryJane

If you have been a victim of identity fraud in Canada or suspect that you may have been, here's a link that might be of interest.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams-fraudes/id-theft-vol-eng.htm

Some excerpts of note:

"What your information could be used for

Criminals can use your stolen or reproduced personal or financial information to:

access your bank accounts

open new bank accounts

transfer bank balances

apply for loans, credit cards and other goods and services

make purchases

hide their criminal activities

obtain passports or receive government benefits

Using identity theft to facilitate organized criminal and terrorist activities also appears to be a growing trend.

If you suspect or know that you are a victim of identity theft or fraud, or if you unwittingly provided personal information or financial information:

Step 1 - Contact your local police force and file a report.

Step 2 - Contact your bank/financial institution and credit card company

Step 3 - Contact the two national credit bureaus and place a fraud alert on your credit reports.

Equifax Canada

Toll free: 1-800-465-7166

TransUnion Canada

Toll free: 1-877-525-3823

Step 4 - Always report identity theft and fraud. Contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre"

The different kinds of scams running at the moment are listed on http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm

• Like 1

Wolverine

Thanks MJ. very useful tips.

• Like 1

Criminals can use your stolen or reproduced personal or financial information to:

access your bank accounts

Useful info MJ, thanks for sharing. You need to be vigilant when it comes to credit card fraud. I am extremely cautious with any of my personal items; ID, bank card info etc. Just received my new credit card and a week later I was contacted by Visa with suspected credit card fraud of $2500.00. Apparently you are most vulnerable to fraud when you get issued a new credit card? Fortunately no loss on my part as they picked up the transaction just after it happened. For most part our criminals in Canada are not violent, just very clever skelms! (criminals)

Jaco Goosen

Great tip.  Thanks for sharing MJ

M-N

Slightly off topic: Experienced the weirdest thing in Seattle. Here (and SA) you don't give anyone your card.  When you're at a restaurant, the machine gets brought to you and everything is done in front of you. At grocery stores, you swipe, chip or tap your own card, you don't hand it over to the cashier (in SA we used to do that).   When we went to Seattle and paid for our first dinner we asked for the machine and was informed (with a surprised look) that they don't have that.  We had to reluctantly hand over our Credit Card and watch the guy disappear to the back with it.  Immediately we were on high alert and slightly paranoid.  Lol.  The guy didn't even give us a chance to give him a tip (which we usually do when we chip the card on the machine).   He explained to us that we just have to write in the amount in the receipt and sign it.  They have our card on file, he'll add it later......mmmmm...think about that...seemed to be the norm at various restaurants we went to in Seattle ... we were a bit freaked out but so far we haven't had any "charges" go off on our card.  Bottom line is that even in SA we've been conditioned to watch your stuff.   Don't share you SIN/ID number or leave your credit card lying around. Even in a great country like Canada you still get sheisters that will try and screw over innocent people. Most of the time you'll find they're not even in the country where they operate.  *Sigh* 

• Like 1

shawman

I had my bank account cleared out. The bank covered the cost but what a mission to sort it all out. Nearly drove hubby and I nuts. Needless to say, I don't hand my card over to anyone, regardless of who or where. I can imagine how unsettling it must be M-N. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shawman said:

I had my bank account cleared out. The bank covered the cost but what a mission to sort it all out. Nearly drove hubby and I nuts. Needless to say, I don't hand my card over to anyone, regardless of who or where. I can imagine how unsettling it must be M-N. 

Oh no.  We had a similar experience in SA....  

M-N

A colleague of mine here, just had that happen around the festive season. It was only a few 100 bucks and luckily the bank managed to detect it early, before any real damage was done but it's still a big frustration and so much admin to get that money back. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M-N said:

They have our card on file, he'll add it later......mmmmm...think about that...seemed to be the norm at various restaurants we went to in Seattle ... we were a bit freaked out but so far we haven't had any "charges" go off on our card.  

Agree @M-N, this always makes me very nervous!

5 hours ago, M-N said:

Even in a great country like Canada you still get sheisters that will try and screw over innocent people. Most of the time you'll find they're not even in the country where they operate.  *Sigh* 

We don't have violent criminals, our shysters are educated! These scumbags will take you for everything you've got, including your identity! :angry:

MaryJane
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:25 PM, Lawrence said:

We don't have violent criminals, our shysters are educated! These scumbags will take you for everything you've got, including your identity! :angry:

Definitely.....using the active brain cells for all the wrong things. Now if they just spend half the time plotting fraudulent activities into finding world peace....

Amy G

Last week we had someone phone RBC and successfully change my hubby’s details (address, contact number, email address). Even changed his email address to one ending in .co.za. But physical address given as USA. 

We went into a branch to correct his details and RBC would not tell us how this happened (as in what details this person provided that verified his identity in order to be allowed to change personal information). All they said was that we would no longer be able to do anything telephonically due to this incident, which we were happy with. 

Today my hubby received an automatic email notification stating that his online banking username had been changed. 

He called the bank, apparently someone had just called in and changed his username and reset his password. He corrected it and added a 3 digit pin. How this was allowed again is confusing.

In SA you would never be able to change these details without going in to a branch with proof of residence and ID. 

Am freaked out, not really sure what to do about it :( 

MaryJane

I am so sorry to hear this. Would it be a good idea to open a totally different bank account? Not sure how this would work but there's obviously something that these people have gotten hold of and that they keep using with the bank. This sounds like a nightmare. 

Jules
On 5/22/2019 at 2:53 PM, Amy G said:

Last week we had someone phone RBC and successfully change my hubby’s details (address, contact number, email address). Even changed his email address to one ending in .co.za. But physical address given as USA. 

We went into a branch to correct his details and RBC would not tell us how this happened (as in what details this person provided that verified his identity in order to be allowed to change personal information). All they said was that we would no longer be able to do anything telephonically due to this incident, which we were happy with. 

Today my hubby received an automatic email notification stating that his online banking username had been changed. 

He called the bank, apparently someone had just called in and changed his username and reset his password. He corrected it and added a 3 digit pin. How this was allowed again is confusing.

In SA you would never be able to change these details without going in to a branch with proof of residence and ID. 

Am freaked out, not really sure what to do about it :( 

Honestly if I was you I would close my bank account with RBC and move to another bank just so that the criminal cannot find you anymore. I don’t think RBC did anything wrong but staying with them increases the chances you get targeted again. Get a new bank with new accounts. At the same time I would also set up a new email account. 

Sounds like you have a sophisticated identity thief targeting you guys. 

• Like 1

Amy G

Thanks @MaryJane and @Jules

Its probably the best idea to change bank accounts, just feels like such a mission so am kind of hesitating 😖 

They even tried text messaging us to say our RBC account is blocked, and click here to reactivate access. As if we’d fall for that lol. 

Jules
4 hours ago, Amy G said:

Thanks @MaryJane and @Jules

Its probably the best idea to change bank accounts, just feels like such a mission so am kind of hesitating 😖 

They even tried text messaging us to say our RBC account is blocked, and click here to reactivate access. As if we’d fall for that lol. 

It’s going to be far worse when they clean your bank accounts out. The aggravation is worth it. I would have changed all my accounts already.  

OutOfSa

I thought I had this happen once or twice (The account was emptied..... ) but no, false alarm, the wife had some things that needed buying !

(Don't mean to make light of a serious thing, but I just did...sorry :whistling: - No offence)

• Haha 1