Sign in to follow this  
MaryJane

Nova Scotia Given Increased Allocation for EE Canadian Immigration Str

MaryJane

September 16, 2015

http://www.canadavisa.com/news/entry/nova-scotia-given-increased-allocation-for-express-entry-canadian-immigration-streams-16-09-15.html

The province of Nova Scotia today announced that it has been granted 300 additional spaces for its Express Entry streams, known as Nova Scotia Demand: Express Entry and Nova Scotia Experience: Express Entry.

Both streams are aligned with the government of Canada’s Express Entry immigration selection system, which manages the selection of new skilled immigrants to Canada.

The move will allow Nova Scotia to nominate 1,350 immigrants under the Nova Scotia Nominee Program (NSNP) in 2015.

"We pushed the federal government hard for this increase and they responded after they saw our proactive approach," said Premier Stephen McNeil. "This decision will allow Nova Scotia to nominate 1,350 immigrants under the Provincial Nominee Program, nearly double our 2014 cap of 700."

Today’s news represents the first time that a province has had its enhanced Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) allocation increased in the middle of the year.

• Like 3

MaryJane

For applicants who have no job offer, Nova Scotia has the Nova Scotia Demand: Express Entry stream.

You'll need to be in the following profession though:

1111 Financial Auditors and Accountants - Skill A

1112 Financial and Investment Analysts - Skill A

1121 Human Resources Professionals - Skill A

1225 Purchasing Agents and Officers - Skill B

2113 Geoscientists and Oceanographers - Skill A

2131 Civil Engineers - Skill A

2132 Mechanical Engineers - Skill A

2133 Electrical and Electronic Engineers - Skill A

2141 Industrial and Manufacturing Engineers - Skill A

2147 Computer Engineers - Skill A

2171 Information Systems Analysts and Consultants - Skill A

2172 Database Analysts and Data Administrators - Skill A

2173 Software Engineers - Skill A

2174 Computer Programmers and Interactive Media Developers - Skill A

2175 Web Designers and Developers - Skill A

2231 Civil Engineering Technologists and Technicians- Skill B

2232 Mechanical Engineering Technologists and Technicians - Skill B

2241 Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technologists and Technicians - Skill B

2253 Drafting Technologists and Technicians - Skill B

2262 Engineering Inspectors and Regulatory Officers - Skill B

2282 User Support Technicians - Skill B

3012 Registered Nurses - Skill A

3142 Physiotherapists - Skill A

3143 Occupational Therapists - Skill A

3211 Medical Laboratory Technologists - Skill B

3233 Licensed Practical Nurses - Skill B

4151 Psychologists - Skill A

4153 Family, Marriage and Other Related Counsellors - Skill A

6235 Financial Sales Representatives - Skill B

• Like 3

Raquel

Hmmmm I wonder if our application sent in May 2015 will be included in such? Still yet to hear anything from Nova Scotia with regards to my application!

• Like 1

FaithFUL

Yes, yes, yes - we qualify! Points are over 67 & we meet all the other criteria. Now to get cracking on all the information they want. :ilikeit::ilikeit:

O my - my heart is going to jump out of my chest from excitement. :magic:

• Like 4

Helanie

I'm pulling for you guys!!!! REALLY! :ilikeit:

ClaudiaJane

Good luck !! I hope this is the break you've been praying for !! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

MaryJane

Hmmmm I wonder if our application sent in May 2015 will be included in such? Still yet to hear anything from Nova Scotia with regards to my application!

A big NB for this stream is that (and one thing I don't particularly like).....

Nova Scotia reserves the right to nominate the candidates expressing interest.

Now you may think it's the same as other PNPs but it's really not. It is slightly different. Other PNPs like Manitoba where you have a point system, you know exactly where you stand because you know your points. With PNPs like Ontario, it is first come first served (sort of anyway). So you can ask for status once received.

But with Nova Scotia, you may apply and never hear anything out of them for a while until they decide that they need accountants for the next year or year after (if you applied under accountants). In which case, the wait can be excruciatingly long with no feedback whatsoever.

I'm not trying to be negative but just be aware of this when applying. I'll still say apply since if you don't cast your net in the ocean, how are you ever going to hope to catch fishes?

It could also work the other way where they receive your interest and nominate you immediately so there's that too. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Raquel

Makes sense MJ - thanks :)

Obru

MaryJane,

Thanks for the headsup!!

Reading the link from #2 above, it states "The Nova Scotia Demand: Express Entry selects highly skilled individuals who wish to live in the Province of Nova Scotia permanently and..." Not having been to Canada previously, we will obviously want to firstly get into the country and then secondly find employment. Does this imply that we will need to be permanently based in Nova Scotia?

Also, can I apply for PR on EE as well as Nova Scotia Demand?

MaryJane

Reading the link from #2 above, it states "The Nova Scotia Demand: Express Entry selects highly skilled individuals who wish to live in the Province of Nova Scotia permanently and..." Not having been to Canada previously, we will obviously want to firstly get into the country and then secondly find employment. Does this imply that we will need to be permanently based in Nova Scotia?

As with any PNP application, applicants are required to send in/show that their intention is to live in a particular province...why else would that province nominate/select you if you will most likely settle elsewhere?

Having said this, there is nothing that binds you to Nova Scotia once you get your PR. You are free to jump provinces if you so wish. You might feel ethically obliged to stay in Nova Scotia out of gratitude or loyalty though.

See this thread about moving provinces when getting PR via PNP. It's a little dated but still rings true.

Also, can I apply for PR on EE as well as Nova Scotia Demand?

Yes. If you apply through NS and get nominated, you will need to go through EE anyways.

• Like 2

FaithFUL

So we've had a good look at the NS application forms and I've made my list of things to do.

I've got some questions which I hope you clever peeps can answer:

1) They need unabridged certificates for all family members - would they accept a letter explaining that I have applied for unabridged birth certificates for hubby & I with the proof that I have applied?

2) Under financial information they want proof of settlement supports which I assumed would be house valuation and bond statement BUT on another page they specifically say to not include the value of real estate and only want liquid assets. We don't enough liquid assets to use as proof of settlement funds. What to do?

Edited by WannaB Expat

Raquel

WannaB

To answer your questions in my opinion :)

1) I would not take the chance - I would rather wait until you have the exact documents they are asking for and then send off your application... they could simply cast your application aside / deny you as you did not follow instructions... do you really want to take that chance, when you could wait a bit and then send a completed application and mitigate that risk (accountant to accountant here) ???

2) This is a hotly debated topic and has been discussed a few times on the forum - I know some members have proved Funds with non-liquid assets and obtained PR, but my experience with an immigration lawyer last year was that they would not accept assets unless they were liquid. I suspect CIC are tightening up on this requirement... also the fact that is specifically states that you should NOT include real estate, means that if you do, you did not follow instructions... On the other side of the coin, if this is your only option to prove funds, then you may want to take the risk since there is no application fee... so you have "nothing to lose".

• Like 1

Sideline

For proof of funds, remember to differentiate on 'liquid' vs real estate. Even though they do say don't include real estate they are not being extremely clear on this.

Many people do own various real estate portfolios and some even through out the world. These they keep for various reasons, either rental portfolio or asset preservation and wealth generation through capital growth, others are into industrial and commercial real estate. So when CIC etc say don't include real estate they generally refer to 'fixed non liquid' assets of real estate.

Now in the average immigrants portfolio they will probably not have assets beyond their primary home. This you will be selling to relocate, thus turning this asset into liquid funds. Here you use you bond/mortgage statement plus expected value of sale to get your final profit to get proof of funds.

Beware though not to over exaggerate value (estate agents are notorious for over valuing property) and don't cut these funds/profits so close to the bone that you just barely make it. After all you need to convert the ZAR into CAD (10.2:1 ATM). Expect rate fluctuations so being almost at the absolute minimum here will go against you in future with the exchange rates deteriorating. Keep a decent buffer in these calculations.

So in short your primary home is used as 'liquid' funds proof. Any extra properties (should you own a rental property or two) you own, forget it, you can't include these in your calculations. You can sell those for more money, but it's not your 'primary' funds so leave them out of any statements.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1