Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Am I the only one that noticed, or is it just obvious?

Harry

When I woke up the other morning and switched on the television, the first item on the news was the thwarting of the terrorist on the train in France. The next moment there was an impromptu stairtop interview with 60-odd year old "4th hero", Chris Norman. They kept referring to him as a "a British National". However, being Harry, I turned to my wife and told her, "He's a South African. In fact", I said to her, "I'd bet money he's from Cape Town, rather than Johannesburg".

Some time later I crawled onto the Internet and checked him out: Born in Uganda, raised in South Africa, studied at the University of Cape Town, later at Reading University in the UK, has a British passport, and lives in the South of France.

So there you have it. My old Afrikaans-speaking professor was born in Kenya and studied at Tukkies. I don't care where he was born specifically; the point is that he got his upbringing in South Africa. That says a lot about why he got off his #$$ and actually DID something.

He is interviewed here. Listen for yourselves to the accent - SAffer; no way he can hide that.

Given the pathetic drivel that generally passes for news reporting in North America, it is worth listeing to the lady whose story follows immediately after his.

So now we know how a Boer got Napoleon's Legion of Honour award.

• Like 3

Cathy K

Beautiful story. I wonder if Chris Norman was a troepie at some or other stage of his life.

Qrios1

Definitely can pick up the Saffer accent. I watch a show on DSTV called family fat surgeon about a father and son Dr. Team in the U.S. that perform gastric bypass surgery and the dad sounds like a Saffer who probably went over 30 years ago. Amazing

So there you have it. My old Afrikaans-speaking professor was born in Kenya and studied at Tukkies. I don't care where he was born specifically; the point is that he got his upbringing in South Africa. That says a lot about why he got off his #$$ and actually DID something.

He is interviewed here. Listen for yourselves to the accent - SAffer; no way he can hide that.

So now we know how a Boer got Napoleon's Legion of Honour award.

Interesting, thanks for sharing Harry. Correct, there's no hiding that South Africa accent.

Sheryl

Can't keep a good Saffer down! Good on him!